PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who should have the Patriots taken at 48 instead of Wilson

I'm not sure what you mean by "originally". The Pats acquired the #48 pick as part of a trade with Oakland last year, but they stood pat during the draft and kept the pick.

Consider in comparison the 2010 draft:

27 Devin McCourty - originally the 22 pick, Pats traded back twice
42 Gronkowski - originally the 44 pick, Pats traded up
62 Spikes - originally the 47 pick, Pats traded back twice
89 (traded to Carolina) - pick acquired in one of the trade backs from 47 to 62
90 Taylor - pick acquired in one of the trade backs from 22 to 27
113 Hernandez - pick acquired in one of the trade backs from 22 to 27
150 Mesko - pick acquired in one o the trade backs from 47 to 62
208 Welch - pick acquired by trading two lower 7th round picks

So the only "original" picks used were #53 on Jermaine Cunningham, and the comp picks (205, 247, 248, 250) which were not allowed to be traded.

This has probably been pointed out previously but none of the Patriots draft choices this year were taken in a position of where the Patriots originally held the pick. Found it interesting but not enough to start another thread.

1 21 (21) Chandler Jones DE 6-5 265 Syracuse from Bengals

1 25 (25) Dont'a Hightower ILB 6-4 260 Alabama from Broncos

2 16 (48) Tavon Wilson SS 6-0 205 Illinois from Raiders

3 27 (90) Jake Bequette DE 6-5 271 Arkansas from Packers

6 27 (197) Nate Ebner DB 6-0 205 Ohio St. from Packers

7 17 (224) Alfonzo Dennard CB 5-10 205 Nebraska from Packers through Jets

7 28 (235) Jeremy Ebert from Packers

I wonder if that's ever happened before with that many picks.

Now anyone who doesn't join you in claiming that Wilson sucks or that Belichick "panicked," which is completely ludicrous, is a "Pollyanna."

... show if he can play before being labelled garbage by people like you.

So show us those posts Fred, or shut your piehole.

I never said that Wilson sucks; show me THAT post. I was half as vicious to BB as you guys are to me or anyone else who breaks with dogma than you would have a case but you do not.

I stand by my statement that BB panicked. It is my opinion and I am entitled to it but apparently if someone breaks with dogma it is grounds for personal attacks. That is why this forum sucks.

I'm not sure what you mean by "originally". The Pats acquired the #48 pick as part of a trade with Oakland last year, but they stood pat during the draft and kept the pick.

Consider in comparison the 2010 draft:

27 Devin McCourty - originally the 22 pick, Pats traded back twice
42 Gronkowski - originally the 44 pick, Pats traded up
62 Spikes - originally the 47 pick, Pats traded back twice
89 (traded to Carolina) - pick acquired in one of the trade backs from 47 to 62
90 Taylor - pick acquired in one of the trade backs from 22 to 27
113 Hernandez - pick acquired in one of the trade backs from 22 to 27
150 Mesko - pick acquired in one o the trade backs from 47 to 62
208 Welch - pick acquired by trading two lower 7th round picks

So the only "original" picks used were #53 on Jermaine Cunningham, and the comp picks (205, 247, 248, 250) which were not allowed to be traded.

The 48 pick was the Raiders pick. 5 picks even if many were comps is a lot more than none. The Pats also had a year when they didn't make a trade. I don't think they've ever acquired all the picks via trade before.

The 48 pick was the Raiders pick. 5 picks even if many were comps is a lot more than none. The Pats also had a year when they didn't make a trade. I don't think they've ever acquired all the picks via trade before.

I don't think it's significant. Comp picks can't be traded, so you can't count those. The Pats acquired 7 players via picks with trades this year, and 7 in 2010. The conclusion is that BB trades around a lot.

Consider 2009:

34 Chung - acquired by trade for Matt Cassel
40 Brace - acquired by trading up form 47, which was acquired by trade from San Diego for our 2008 #69 pick
41 Butler - acquired by trading back from 26, and before that from 23
84 Tate - acquired from Green Bay in the trade back from 26 to 41
123 Ohrnberger - acquired by trading 2 5th round picks acquired in the Ellis Hobbs trade
198 Ingram - acquired from Baltimore by trading back from 23 to 26
232 Edelman -

Once again, 7 players were acquired using trades.

That leaves 58 Vollmer, 234 Darryl Richard and a bunch of comp picks (99 McKenzie, 170 Bussey, 207 Pryor, ) as "original picks.

So the Pats acquired 7 players via traded picks in 2009, 2010 and 2012. Nothing new. They just had more picks in those years than in 2012, especially comp picks that couldn't be traded.

I never said it was significant or some sort of draft plan or pattern. I merely found it interesting and didn't think they had traded all their picks before. You're reading way too much into my original post. It was merely a I'm bored and browsing and found a stupid nugget and shared it in a thread that I'm surprised is still going.

I never said it was significant or some sort of draft plan or pattern. I merely found it interesting and didn't think they had traded all their picks before. You're reading way too much into my original post. It was merely a I'm bored and browsing and found a stupid nugget and shared it in a thread that I'm surprised is still going.

Got it. My bad for making too much of it. We're all bored.

Bored? What a bunch of nancies....

Only 3 months to go;)

Bored? What a bunch of nancies....

Only 3 months to go;)

3 months? Minicamp starts today and then 6 weeks till training camp. Hallelujah.

I never said that Wilson sucks; show me THAT post. I was half as vicious to BB as you guys are to me or anyone else who breaks with dogma than you would have a case but you do not.

I stand by my statement that BB panicked. It is my opinion and I am entitled to it but apparently if someone breaks with dogma it is grounds for personal attacks. That is why this forum sucks.

lmao-you call those who don't share your views "pollyanna's" and then cry about personal attacks. Be serious. You are negative to the extreme and only post to share that negativity and wonder why fans of the most successful team in the NFL give you crap for it.

You called the pick "another second round screw-up," and said his "wooden hands" make him a typical Patriots DB pick. Yeah Fred, you are really fair to the kid. Beyond that it is pretty much a certainty that you never saw one game he ever played, yet have the audacity to say that Belichick, who undoubtedly has watched extensive game tape of him "panicked" in taking him, and those who say wait and see are "pollyanna's," which is just one term you use to describe those who support the job Belichick is doing.

I'm done with this Fred, I will wait and see how Wilson fares and go from there, but if you want people to treat you better then maybe you should examine the approach you take to posting, because if you continue to start negative thread after negative thread about an incredibly successful team then you should expect to be treated like a douche. If you were a fan of a sucky team then the constant negativity would make some sense, but consistently crapping on the best team in football makes little sense, and makes those who do it look like fools.

It's not that you break with trend it's that you break with it and have no evitence/thought process to back it up.

I just don't know what world you live in where you don't think A.) we were not offered a trade for that pick and B.) BB panicked or in some way was unprepared to take Wilson at that pick

We really could use some depth on the DLine.

Jerel Worthy wouldve been a good pick. Or Brandon Thomson, Kendall Reyes, Devon Still.

...because if you continue to start negative thread after negative thread about an incredibly successful team then you should expect to be treated like a douche. ...

I am positively rosy compared to the douches on local radio or Borges. Callahan spewed so much bile that he lost his voice.

I supported Moss right to the end when all the idiots in the press wanted to run him out of town....and they suceeded and ooooppppppps the Patriots did not have a deep game--how did that happen?

I am positively rosy compared to the douches on local radio or Borges. Callahan spewed so much bile that he lost his voice.

I supported Moss right to the end when all the idiots in the press wanted to run him out of town....and they suceeded and ooooppppppps the Patriots did not have a deep game--how did that happen?

Wow Fred, better than Callahan, who is an All World douchebag, what a compliment to pay yourself. Truth be told being 100th the douche Callahan is still warrants plenty of hate coming back your way.

As for Moss they got a good pick back for a player who had quit and went on to do absolutely nothing, so once again you were wrong.

We really could use some depth on the DLine.

Jerel Worthy wouldve been a good pick. Or Brandon Thomson, Kendall Reyes, Devon Still.

Yeah i must admit i really liked Devon Still's value in the middle 2nd. He looked like a guy that if you could motivate those flashes you saw out of him at Penn he could be a dominant interior player.

It also seems to me that the Pats may have let the local writers spread a little disinformation about how much they reportedly loved Johnson. And there were rumors during the second day of the draft about a "hand shake deal" that the Pats had told Johnson he would be their pick at 48 if he were on the board.

Other than the fact that the Pats seem to like playing these games, I wonder whether they may have been concerned that another team might trade up ahead of 48 to take Tavon Wilson, and let it be widely rumored that Trumaine Johnson was their guy. Just a thought.

With the current rush to judgement mentality of the media it's almost a crime not to use them to your advantage if you can.

NFL decision-makers' jobs would be so much easier if they just handed over the reigns to people who post on the internet.

"Damn, Ernie, we're in a real bind here. It's probably too early for Wilson, but we're not the only team on him. Nobody is really giving us the value for the 48th pick that we've placed on it, so it isn't obvious that we should move down. Hmmmmmm.

**** it. Let's give FredFromDartmouth a quick call."

"Who?"

"You know, the bro from the internet. The guy who spends 1/20th the time we do evaluating players, who is privy to 1/1000th the information we are, and whose online hindsight is subject to none of the real-time constraints, considerations, or consequences our foresight is. He'll know what to do."

FredfromDarthmouth said:
I stand by my statement that BB panicked. It is my opinion and I am entitled to it but apparently if someone breaks with dogma it is grounds for personal attacks. That is why this forum sucks

This forum doesn't suck. It's a great forum. What sucks is people like yourself making asinine comments and thinking that you can make them without people taking you to task for it. The First Amendment is a double edged sword, Fred. While it gives you the right to say what you want, it doesn't protect you from others chiming in and saying what they think about your comments. But you take offense when your word isn't taken as law. You unabashedly make personal attacks against people who can't defend themselves, yet get offended when people call you out for it. You clearly fail to see the hypocrisy of your actions.

While it is your OPINION, usually there is some basis in fact. Unfortunately, you have NO basis for the idea that Belichick panicked by using the 48th pick on Wilson. You have none. There is nothing factual for you to base it on. So, people take you to task for it.

Do yourself a favor. Start using facts to base your opinions off of. That way you can sound intelligent when talking about your statements. That way you don't have to get all offended when they are called into question, though I have a feeling you will anyways. That is typical of people with low self-esteem. Over-defensive and over-reactive. .

Last edited:
NFL decision-makers' jobs would be so much easier if they just handed over the reigns to people who post on the internet.

"Damn, Ernie, we're in a real bind here. It's probably too early for Wilson, but we're not the only team on him. Nobody is really giving us the value for the 48th pick that we've placed on it, so it isn't obvious that we should move down. Hmmmmmm.

**** it. Let's give FredFromDartmouth a quick call."

"Who?"

"You know, the bro from the internet. The guy who spends 1/20th the time we do evaluating players, who is privy to 1/1000th the information we are, and whose online hindsight is subject to none of the real-time constraints, considerations, or consequences our foresight is. He'll know what to do."

hahaha i don't know about anybody else here but that is one of the funniest and most well put posts i have read on this site... how can i make it my signature? hahaha

Directed at no one in particular - applicable not only to this threat but many other threads in the draft forum:

It continually never ceases to amaze me how people can look at draft picks and their future sucess in the NFL - and then 'pin' that sucess or failure onto the person(s) that drafted them. There are probably 100 different factors that go into the future persons sucess (or lack their of) that occur AFTER the selection is made. So why then do we put so much stock into blaming the person(s) making the pick if the player doesn't pan out ??

Players future NFL performace affected by:

position coach, other players (at their position) in front of them (if a starter is injured and then the rookie is thrust into the starting lineup too early), players fit to scheme, players ability to absorb that particular playbook (maybe same terminolgy to college then again maybe completely different), other players on the team either helping or hindering the players growth, coaching changes, injuries, players attitude, fit with the team chemistry, work ethic, players abilty to take criticism, friends on the team (good influence or bad influence), respect for authority, players external friends (posse), players significant other, parents, ego, self confidence, able to handle large influx of money, so on and so on.

Just the last one alone - how many of us would work as hard at our particular jobs if we just received a large multi-million dollar bonus. Would we not feel a sense of entitlement?

With all of those factors AND MORE - that occur AFTER the player gets drafted, and yet we all want to either praise or critiize the people making the pick. Newsflash: some picks pan out and some don't and those players that don't - it doesn't mean that pick was a bad one. Many things happen to the player AFTER the pick is made - some positive and some negative. So lets just keep things in perspective before we pretend we know more than those people who have 100 times more access to information and do this daily for a living. And realize that many forces will occur AFTER the pick is made that will either make or break the players NFL career.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back