PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who should be available at 14?

I would love this pick.
I agree. The tweet is a little odd though. Learning the offense with BOB already?

I love Smith's game but we already have an undersized pass rusher in Uche and LB are the new RB. Value isn't there in there 1st. There's like 5 that really matter.

I think that depends upon how the board falls on draft night. If the top 2 OL and CB’s are gone at 14 then I wouldn’t take the 3rd best at either position.
Unless your OL3 or CB 3 is the next highest graded prospect. It's all about how you have them valued/graded.

I agree. The tweet is a little odd though. Learning the offense with BOB already?
Just a session similar to grilling a QB on a chalkboard. They'll ask him some questions on his game. Ask him to explain some concepts/coverages he'll likely face. How he'll adjust to life as a pro (famous person with money) **** like that.

Just a session similar to grilling a QB on a chalkboard. They'll ask him some questions on his game. Ask him to explain some concepts/coverages he'll likely face. How he'll adjust to life as a pro (famous person with money) **** like that.
That’s what I usually imagine but the phrasing seems different here. Seems to imply he is spending an entire day there starting super early and getting the playbook. That could just be a bit of creative journalism though.

I love Smith's game but we already have an undersized pass rusher in Uche and LB are the new RB. Value isn't there in their 1st. There's like 5 that really matter.

Unless your OL3 or CB 3 is the next highest graded prospect. It's all about how you have them valued/graded.

I have made that point as long as I have been posting here, it’s also the reason they have traded back so often, as they routinely believe their player will be available later. And they came out and said so specifically the year they drafted Duggars and Uche. In the meantime all we have to go by is the consensus mocks, as we don’t get to see the Patriots board. And I have made it pretty clear that I believe they will trade down this year.

That’s what I usually imagine but the phrasing seems different here. Seems to imply he is spending an entire day there starting super early and getting the playbook. That could just be a bit of creative journalism though.
I bet this is the case. Belichick did the same with Harry according to the article. He's whiffed on WR that couldn't learn the offense too many times. It's probably standard protocol for anyone he is considering with a 1st round pick.

They've done what they try to do every year - make sure there's already a competent player at every position so they can focus on the overlap in the Venn between BPA and PPS (priority position for strengthening). My guess is that they'll wait and see if someone slips, and if not, trade down into the 20's and get another 2nd.

I think that depends upon how the board falls on draft night. If the top 2 OL and CB’s are gone at 14 then I wouldn’t take the 3rd best at either position. So we really need to see who is actually there when they pick to make the best decision.
Some of the tackles ranked 3rd and 4th and even 5th are considered to be better by some than the top 2.

Darnell Wright, Skoronski, Bergeron, Dawand Jones. All 4 of these guys have their advocates after Broderick Jones and Paris Johnson. Personally I like Anton Harrison a lot as well. I expect all 7 of these players will be gone before our 2nd round pick.

I would take 4 of them (BJones, Johnson, Wright, Skoronski) with our #14 unless a CB or DE drops that the coaches love (Tyree Wilson, Gonzalez, Witherspoon or Porter).

I have a long short list for who would be worthy of #14.

I hope we don't trade down, and if we do, I hope it's only for one of the 7 players on my shortlist (4 tackles, 3 CBs).

NOTE: I may exit out of my draft obsession because I had a dream last night that, at Bill O'Brien's recommendation, the Patriots traded up to #9 and took Alabama TE Cameron Latu.

OFF TOPIC A BIT: My biggest pet peeve on this site is seeing Kyle Dugger's name spelled Duggar like that pedophile who raped his sisters. Can we try to spell it with an 'e'?

Some of the tackles ranked 3rd and 4th and even 5th are considered to be better by some than the top 2.

Darnell Wright, Skoronski, Bergeron, Dawand Jones. All 4 of these guys have their advocates after Broderick Jones and Paris Johnson. Personally I like Anton Harrison a lot as well. I expect all 7 of these players will be gone before our 2nd round pick.

I would take 4 of them (BJones, Johnson, Wright, Skoronski) with our #14 unless a CB or DE drops that the coaches love (Tyree Wilson, Gonzalez, Witherspoon or Porter).

I hope we don't trade down, and if we do, I hope it's only for one of the 7 players on my shortlist (4 tackles, 3 CBs).

NOTE: I may exit out of my draft obsession because I had a dream last night that, at Bill O'Brien's recommendation, the Patriots traded up to #9 and took Alabama TE Cameron Latu.
Unless Paris or Broderick are there at 14 I like Blake Freeland and Tyler Steen as much or more than any other OT in the draft.

I still want Flowers in the first, especially after seeing comparisons to Antonio Brown, without the insanity. But I expect them to trade down. I can only think of a few times where they took the player. Wanted in the first round. Wilfork, which was as lucky as it gets, Mayo, and Hightower. Other than that I think I have missed every year, and I didn’t expect them to get Wilfork, it was just the player I wanted the most, and I couldn’t believe it when Minnesota took Kenechi Udeze right ahead of him. I’m pretty sure they ran the Wilfork pick in.

I still want Flowers in the first, especially after seeing comparisons to Antonio Brown, without the insanity. But I expect them to trade down. I can only think of a few times where they took the player. Wanted in the first round. Wilfork, which was as lucky as it gets, Mayo, and Hightower. Other than that I think I have missed every year, and I didn’t expect them to get Wilfork, it was just the player I wanted the most, and I couldn’t believe it when Minnesota took Kenechi Udeze right ahead of him. I’m pretty sure they ran the Wilfork pick in.
My problem with Flowers is that he's smaller and/or slower than every WR taken this high in the draft in the last several years.

He could be like Antonio Brown. Or perhaps not. He could be a bust like over 50% of the receivers taken in the 1st 2 rounds of the legendary NKeal Harry draft. We reel off the names of Metcalf, Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown and Marquise Brown, but seem to neglect that there were another 5 guys taken in the first 2 rounds who busted.

It's a 50/50 shot with Flowers.

Belichick's history picking in the top half or top 20 is incredibly good, HOFers, All-Pros and Pro Bowlers, Ty Warren, Wilfork, Mayo, Seymour, Chandler Jones, Hightower, only Maroney was underwhelming.

I feel as though we'd be drafting a 50/50 player at a very high draft position where we usually find a sure thing.

LOL. I know how you feel

My problem with Flowers is that he's smaller and/or slower than every WR taken this high in the draft in the last several years.

He could be like Antonio Brown. Or perhaps not. He could be a bust like over 50% of the receivers taken in the 1st 2 rounds of the legendary NKeal Harry draft. We reel off the names of Metcalf, Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown and Marquise Brown, but seem to neglect that there were another 5 guys taken in the first 2 rounds who busted.

It's a 50/50 shot with Flowers.

Belichick's history picking in the top half or top 20 is incredibly good, HOFers, All-Pros and Pro Bowlers, Ty Warren, Wilfork, Mayo, Seymour, Chandler Jones, Hightower, only Maroney was underwhelming.

I feel as though we'd be drafting a 50/50 player at a very high draft position where we usually find a sure thing.
Yes, Belichick does extremely well drafting defensive players in the top 20.

I love Smith's game but we already have an undersized pass rusher in Uche and LB are the new RB. Value isn't there in there 1st. There's like 5 that really matter.

Q1) Do you think that we should consider any CB at 14 (or even with a small trade down) other than Gonzo or Witherspoon?

Q2) I think that B Jones and Johnson are no-brainers for us. Is Skororoski? I guess Wright is close.

Q3) I don't see a top front 6 player dropping? Do you have Van Ness as a choice as 14? I an see him being there, or perhaps Murphy?

Q4) BPA could very well be one of the TE's. Most seem to have a couple considered at 14? Where do you stand?
========================================
I have always agreed with the idea of 8-12 blue chip players plus QB's, and then 30 red chip players who often aren't much different in quality. I don't like passing up on a blue chip player in order to get so-called draft value with a trade down. I think that blue-chip players are undervalued on any scale that we fans see.

Last edited:
Lance Zeurlein (some sports analyst) has us taking Anthony Richardson at 14…..apparently team had long meeting with him in March….as a UF fan I watched alot of his play this past season …..Very explosive, incredible arm, but loses focus at times and apparently doesn’t have best work ethic….would be a project player for sure for BB….but could have great upside. I just see us taking OL at 14….or WR….but with BB who knows …..could be secondary

Holy Moly.
You need 3 days in Rodgers dark tank
It’s all right to dream of TE‘s.
But she should have nothing to do with football

2 cbs Witherspoon and Gonzales
2 ot’s Jones and Johnson.

Those two positions and 4 players is what I like at 14. If they decide to draft those positions and those 4 aren’t available then I would hope for a trade back, ala Wright, Porter etc.

There are other players I like at 14 but I hate when teams draft out of need when there are better players available.

2 cbs Witherspoon and Gonzales
2 ot’s Jones and Johnson.

Those two positions and 4 players is what I like at 14. If they decide to draft those positions and those 4 aren’t available then I would hope for a trade back, ala Wright, Porter etc.

There are other players I like at 14 but I hate when teams draft out of need when there are better players available.
certainly four blue chippers at positions of need
===================
OPTION ONE
Draft a blue chipper at a position of need

OPTION TWO
Make a value trade up for down or a blue chipper at a position of need

OPTION THREE
Make you pick when a value trade simply isn't there. Sure, there are lots of trades, but not a the "value" you project on you project. Losing a bit on value on your pick may be a better choice.

An obvious choice is if we have Wright or another OT as "worth" a pick at 16-18, but trading down and losing Wright may have us with a much lower value pick.

All depends on the patriot board. When we pick at 14, the team may have few players with 1st round grades.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back