PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who should be available at 14?

40yrpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We're at 14, and it's possible we could move up as high as 11 if BB loves someone and gives up a 3rd (maybe up to 10th for a 3rd & 4th) to get him. Our top priorities are CB-OT-WR, in no particular order.

The first 7 guys taken are likely to be the 4 QB's and the 3 DL's (Wilson, Anderson, Carter). It's hard to predict the next 6 picks 8-13, but there's about 15 candidates:

- CB's Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Porter, Smith
- OT's Johnson, Skoronski, Jones, Wright
- WR's Q Johnson, JSN, Flowers, Addison
- DE's Murphy & Van Ness
- RB Robinson

Some that we're not thinking of may go before 14; e.g., Robinson is considered a generational RB, JSN is top-10 in most mocks, Q Johnson has crazy upside, Murphy has been mocked in many top 5's, everyone says Van Ness is insane, and Porter is right up there too. And there's always some major surprise that cracks the top 14 - e.g., could Hooker shoot up the board, he was top 10 if not injured.

I could see any of these guys being our pick, and the fact that we'd have our choice among 9 of them suggests a possible trade down.

What also makes it interesting is that there will be good options at all 3 positions of need in the 2nd round/46, or at least in the top 36.

Last edited:
Just based on the way the draft will probably fall and pairing that with team needs, it feels like CB or WR make the most sense. There probably won't be more than 1 or 2 CBs or WRs (each) taken before 14. Additionally, many teams are probably seeking a different type of player at WR than they'll find in Smith-Njigba/Addison/Flowers, so I wouldn't be surprised if at least two of those three guys are there at 14 - fortunately they are the kind of WR that New England has a need for.

Nolan Smith, no matter what

I think Hooker will be the third QB taken and Levis will go day two (he screams bust to me but that might just be me) but that's functionally interchangeable with four QB's going in the top. I think Robinson will go top-ten. Elite players always go high regardless of position. So that bumps someone down. Someone in need of a 3-technique will see a poor-man's Aaron Donald in Kancey and take him top-10 so that bumps another.

14 seems to be right around where the second tier of players and the third tier begins. The tier two corners like Porter, Banks, and Smith will be there. I think all the receivers will be as well unless someone really falls in love with Addison. I thought the Jets would be eyeballing JSN but Mecole Hardman ends that. The second tier tackles will be there as well.

14 seems to be the ideal position to trade down from given there will be one or two players bumped down but likely not at a scheme fit or position of need for the Pats. I would be cool with Porter, Robinson, or Addison at 14 but other than that you could really load up for three picks in the meat of the draft in that 25-50 slot.

I think Hooker will be the third QB taken and Levis will go day two (he screams bust to me but that might just be me) but that's functionally interchangeable with four QB's going in the top. I think Robinson will go top-ten. Elite players always go high regardless of position. So that bumps someone down. Someone in need of a 3-technique will see a poor-man's Aaron Donald in Kancey and take him top-10 so that bumps another.

14 seems to be right around where the second tier of players and the third tier begins. The tier two corners like Porter, Banks, and Smith will be there. I think all the receivers will be as well unless someone really falls in love with Addison. I thought the Jets would be eyeballing JSN but Mecole Hardman ends that. The second tier tackles will be there as well.

14 seems to be the ideal position to trade down from given there will be one or two players bumped down but likely not at a scheme fit or position of need for the Pats. I would be cool with Porter, Robinson, or Addison at 14 but other than that you could really load up for three picks in the meat of the draft in that 25-50 slot.
I agree for me if you believe in our QBs you trade down then parlay one of those picks for Jeudy.

I like AT Perry and Jonathan Mingo in the mid to later rounds.

I agree for me if you believe in our QBs you trade down then parlay one of those picks for Jeudy.

I like AT Perry and Jonathan Mingo in the mid to later rounds.
Yeah i'm at the stage regarding QB's that the team should just keep swapping high floor guys on rookie deals with juggernaut teams around them until they hit someone worthy of the absolutely absurd deals QB's get. Which I'm completely fine with never happening. IMO if you put rookie Mac on a team that is 30% better around him with a couple of game changers on offense you can 100% win a championship with that.

The Pats dont value WR. They value OL and DL.

Parker and Agahlor were 1st round picks. Dorsett was a 1st round pick. Josh Gordon was a top pick. The Pats picked them up for nothing. Allen Robinson played for BOB at Penn State. If he has anything left maybe the Pats fork over a pick for a 1 year rental.

Yeah i'm at the stage regarding QB's that the team should just keep swapping high floor guys on rookie deals with juggernaut teams around them until they hit someone worthy of the absolutely absurd deals QB's get. Which I'm completely fine with never happening. IMO if you put rookie Mac on a team that is 30% better around him with a couple of game changers on offense you can 100% win a championship with that.
That’s my GM strategy.

We're at 14, and it's possible we could move up as high as 11 if BB loves someone and gives up a 3rd (maybe up to 10th for a 3rd & 4th) to get him. Our top priorities are CB-OT-WR, in no particular order.

The first 7 guys taken are likely to be the 4 QB's and the 3 DL's (Wilson, Anderson, Carter). It's hard to predict the next 6 picks 8-13, but there's about 15 candidates:

- CB's Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Porter, Smith
- OT's Johnson, Skoronski, Jones, Wright
- WR's Q Johnson, Smith-Njigba, Flowers, Addison
- DE's Murphy & Van Ness
- RB Robinson

Some that we're not thinking of may go before 14; e.g., Robinson is considered a generational RB, Smith-Njigba is mocked in most top 10's, Q Johnson has crazy upside, Murphy has been mocked in many top 5's, everyone says Van Ness is insane, and Porter is right up there too. And there's always some major surprise that cracks the top 14 - e.g., could Hooker shoot up the board, he was top 10 if not injured.

I could see any of these guys being our pick, and the fact that we'd have our choice among 9 of them suggests a possible trade down.

What also makes it interesting is that there will be good options at all 3 positions of need in the 2nd round/46, or at least in the top 36.
TOP 8
Your 7 (although the QB could be Hooker or Lewis as late as 11)
Gonzo
===============
ALL OF THESE COULD (SHOULD?) BE GONE AT 14
The 3 OT's
RB Robinson
DE Murphy, Van Ness
=================
I could see us taking any of the above if he slips to 14.
======================
Are the CB's worth #14, given the players available later?
Are the WR's worth #14 (my answer is a solid "no")
Is Wright worth #14? hmmm
================
Yes, we might get a great trade down, or not.

Last edited:
They can pretty much get any position they want. Where they go depends on who’s been picked. I got Paris at 1A but not sure if the ots after that are worth 14. So maybe a trade down if thats the position they are targeting.
If Gonzales or Witherspoon are there I can see them at 14 for sure.

On the fringe of 14 I got Wright, B Jones, Porter, JSN, Q Johnson with possible small trade downs and then zay flowers, Harrison Hyatt D, Jones all the way back to the end of the 1st.

And then there is the Branch and B Robinson luxury picks looming that wouldnt piss me off by any means. Great value but not necessarily a need.

I wouldn't mind a bit of a trade back to about 20 where one of Flowers, Addsion, B. Jones, Porter, or Wright should be available.

I think Porter will go sooner than that

Lots of mocks have 3 CBs going in top 10

The Pats dont value WR. They value OL and DL.

Parker and Agahlor were 1st round picks. Dorsett was a 1st round pick. Josh Gordon was a top pick. The Pats picked them up for nothing. Allen Robinson played for BOB at Penn State. If he has anything left maybe the Pats fork over a pick for a 1 year rental.
Party like it's 1999

I think Porter will go sooner than that

Lots of mocks have 3 CBs going in top 10
I think the mocks that put him in the top 10 are a bit off but there is a virtual certainty that either Porter or Addison are going off the board the immediate pick after NE to Pittsburgh. The former is obvious, the latter would reunite a pair that combined to win a Biletnikoff award, a Unitas Award, and made Pickett a first rounder. If they really like either they should stay put and take him, but if they don't they will likely get a nice offer from someone who does fancy one of the two.

I think it’s going to be one of Quentin Johnston, Zay Flowers or JSN at 14. They MUST get Mac more weapons. They basically failed to do so in free agency, they basically replaced what they lost. IMO, they definitely are improvements in over what they lost, but it’s not enough.

I would’ve been happy if they signed WR Parris Campbell or Mecole Hardman (or both), added some more speed to the lineup.

Johnston, Flowers annd JSN are difference makers. Need to land one of them. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if they picked Jordan Addison from USC.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back