PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is your (realistic) Binky for the Patriots at 29?

For me, the perfect draft scenario for the first 3 rounds would go as follows:
1st round - Pryor or Shazier
2nd round - ASJ or Amaro
3rd round - Joyner or Desir

I know; no shot but man would I be happy if the draft fell like this.

Shazier is mine too. I agree that it is unlikely he makes it to 29 without some crazy reaches early. But there are ALWAYS crazy reaches early. Even still, he should definitely be obtainable, via trade up, if they think as highly of him as I do.

Deone Bucannon pretty much has been my binky throughout the process. If the Pats reach for someone, I hope it is him.

Xavier Sua-Filo, OL UCLA - played both tackle and guard, 6-3, 305, smart, good character guy is my binkie. The longer I look at the draft board and the Patriots, the more I want depth in the trenches. He's mature after a couple of years off on a Mormon Mission, big legs and butt, and ranked anywhere from top 10 to early 3rd round.

http://edraft.com/nfl/news/2014-nfl-draft-xavier-sua-filo-scouting-report/

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014xsuafilo.php

Where did you see him slip to the third? I've pretty much exclusively seen him from about 20-to-35 or so (definitely don't quote me on this, I'm just going based off of memory really quickly). He is definitely the cream of the crop with interior offensive linemen.

Have to admit that it would be boring, but sometimes boring is the right way to go. And if there was ever a year to invest an early pick in the interior linemen it would be this year, with Dante stepping away.

You don't choose your binkie, your binkie chooses you.

When the Patriots pass on your binkie, it's like one of your favourite players just left.

Kyle Fuller.

Simple:

Offense - ASJ
Defense - Easley

I might be the only person here that likes Bucannon more than Pryor straight up. Not to say I don't like Pryor because I do. It is just I see Bucannon as a more complete SS. He runs a 4.50 vs a 4.60 (like Pryor does) and his coverage skill is pretty legit. Pryor is a beast in the box and a hard hitter at the LOS but I just see Bucannon as a more balanced option which is probably what you want in today's NFL.

Last edited:
Dream pick: Ryan Shazier
Still dreaming, but waking up pick: Trade up a few slots for Shazier only giving up a 2015 3rd rounder
Realistic pick: Trade out of the first for a pick in the 33-40 range and an extra 3rd and 7th.

Other guys I wouldn't mind, but likely won't be around:
Kony Ealy (when I close my eyes, I can see his name on the back of a Pats jersey), Joel Bitonio, Marqise Lee

Last edited:
Trade down from #29 with Jacksonville

My binky isn't always a round 1 guy
and this year isn't like years past where I was soooo in love with the guy (Greg Jennings, Lamar Woodley, Carlos Dunlap, Muhamed Wilkerson)
But this year I do very much like Austin Sefarian Jenkins and Paul Richardson
I would love ASJ in a trade back at around 40

I would be in hog heaven if Pryor fell to us. He's exactly what the Pats need paired across from McCourty. He gives you FS coverage skills and the ability to hit like a Mack truck. He can play centerfield, deep, or in the box. After him, I would say Easley and/or Jordan Matthews in the 2nd. I particularly think Matthews would be an absolute monster in this offense.

Me too obviously, but the worst scenario could come true. The worst case scenarios is Pryor going to Baltimore...or the Jets.

I might be the only person here that likes Bucannon more than Pryor straight up. Not to say I don't like Pryor because I do. It is just I see Bucannon as a more complete SS. He runs a 4.50 vs a 4.60 (like Pryor does) and his coverage skill is pretty legit. Pryor is a beast in the box and a hard hitter at the LOS but I just see Bucannon as a more balanced option which is probably what you want in today's NFL.

Nope. You are not the only person.

ASJ-A need driven choice. He has the upside and has had comparisons made to Gonzalez and Gronkowski in pre draft write ups, for whatever thats worth, but if he is even 80% of Jimmy Graham then i

Austin Sefarian-Jenkins.

He isn't my favorite player like LaVonte David was a couple of years ago but he fills a huge need for them and if he pans out would have the biggest upside and impact for them. If he actually turned into a Jimmy Graham type of player they would be filthy.

My binkies are OL Joel Bitonio and S Deone Buchannon.

Buchannon most of all. #29 is probably too early for him, but I really doubt he'll be there for our 2nd round pick. I won't be totally shocked if we took him @ #29. I think he fits that well.

My binkies are OL Joel Bitonio and S Deone Buchannon.

Buchannon most of all. #29 is probably too early for him, but I really doubt he'll be there for our 2nd round pick. I won't be totally shocked if we took him @ #29. I think he fits that well.

Very realistic choices, IMO. I was skeptical on Bucannon at first but I've been warming to him.

Very realistic choices, IMO. I was skeptical on Bucannon at first but I've been warming to him.

I don't know about the Pats drafting him (they might) but I really can see him getting into the first round with that size and athleticism. I don't think he's got the instincts for the first, I like him in the 2nd at best, but there's no denying his physical and athletic attributes.

Ra'Shede Hageman, DE/DT, from Minnesota. Similar to Nate Solder when he was picked because they are players with tremendous upside and too much to pass on at 29. However, the Pats may be planning to trade down and get early Hageman in the 2nd round.

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back