PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the Offensive Tackle you want

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So, Solder will be 29 after the 2017 season when he becomes a UFA. I think that the Pats will draft an OT in the 1st or 2nd round to groom behind Solder.

Who is your choice?

This is a pretty mediocre tackle class. Robinson, Ramczyk, Garcia, and Bolles are the only tackles getting 1st or 2nd round buzz. Maybe Johnson, too. I like them okay, but not enough to pass on the defensive players in this year's draft. Not really any great options.

If I were in charge, I'd probably end up taking Connor McDermott. I don't care that he struggled on a few reps against Myles Garrett in the first game of the year. He had plenty of wins against Garrett, as well, and he's the got the length (6'8) that we seem to look for at LT. I don't think he is as good of a run blocker, but he's got a smooth pass set and can pull and operate in space. He will probably be available in the 4th round, and can be developed slowly for the next year or two.

In the later rounds, I like Storm Norton and maybe Julien Davenport as purely developmental guys. They have the physical tools at least.

I wouldn't discount Temple LT Dion Dawkins being able to stay outside at Tackle.
He has long arms and good-sized hands, and if he measures at least a legit 6'4"
(Matt Light's height) and tests athletically as he could, then I would strongly consider him at 64 as our 2017 Swing Tackle.

Is there a better reserve tackle in free agency?

I don't think that there's much if any quality at reserve OT in free agency; the top half-dozen guys will be looking for starting gigs and to be paid like starters. Maybe Ryan Clady can be convinced to ride out his last couple of years in the league as a Swing Tackle for the Super Bowl Champion Patriots, because I'm not convinced that he'll find starting OT money waiting for him on March 9th.

Last edited:
Zach Banner or Conor Mcdermott one year under Scar. Maybe Scar can do something.

I'd prefer to just get Solder extended, he's good enough. I don't have names to add here but I will add that it's in Solder's contract that he can't be Franchised. So as annoying as it is (with the need to rebuild the defense), if they don't think they can - or don't want to - extend Solder, a high draft pick will likely be used here.

I am wondering if there are is no value when our picks come up this year, and if there isn't a 1 yr vet bridge available next yr, if Cannon can play the left side while we search for someone to play the right side if Fleming isn't starting caliber by then.
I'm no scout, so I'll rely on others to evaluate if Cannon's improvement under Scar might include the potential to move to the left side.

I agree with manxman2601, Bolles and Garcia are good day 2 picks, but with the weak OT class this year; they may go higher. They are both slightly under sized. Will need to get add weight without sacrificing quickness. I like Ramczyk in the mid to late 1st as well as Robinson. Robinson and McDermott might not be quick enough to play LT in the pros. Taylor Moton seems like a good developmental prospect. Erik Manguson as a day 3 would be fine with me as well.

The combine will provide more clarity, but if they both measure and test well there, then I would not be opposed to drafting either Dorian Johnson or Dion Dawkins at 32 if all of the 1st-round/early-2nd DEs and CBs are gone. They are usually listed as OGs, but they could possibly become true 4-position players, and I shudder to think what would've happened if we had lost even one of our OLmen for any length of time at all.

The combine will provide more clarity, but if they both measure and test well there, then I would not be opposed to drafting either Dorian Johnson or Dion Dawkins at 32 if all of the 1st-round/early-2nd DEs and CBs are gone. They are usually listed as OGs, but they could possibly become true 4-position players, and I shudder to think what would've happened if we had lost even one of our OLmen for any length of time at all.

And right on time, I have Combine measurements for you, Captain. Very long arms on both of them. I expect that they're athletic enough to shift outside if required, particularly Johnson.

Dorian Johnson
Pittsburgh
6-5
35 1/4

Dion Dawkins
Temple
6-4

Thanks! Awesome arm length for both of them, though I'm a little surprised that Johnson weighed only 300lbs. I wonder how or if this weight will affect his bench press performance.

A guy I like, that's a little under the radar is Tyler Catalina from Georgia.

I remain a huge McDermott fan. His athletic skills fit perfectly in our zone blocking scheme.

I would be thrilled if we got him in the fifth.

IMG_0111.PNG

Nice spiderweb.

BTW, for perspective, here's Solder:

mFIg1Uo.png

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back