PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Is Sony Michel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice. So far it does look like production-wise his closest comparison is 2012 Ridley, which was our best single RB performance since Corey Dillon had that ridiculous season in a different era.

Take out his two "warm up games" and he's averaging 106 per game over the last three. I think he's closer to a 100 yard per game player than he is an 80 yard per game player, but we'll see if the Patriots keep giving him this kind of volume.

Take out his two "warm up games" and he's averaging 106 per game over the last three. I think he's closer to a 100 yard per game player than he is an 80 yard per game player, but we'll see if the Patriots keep giving him this kind of volume.

I wonder how much of his workload is due to him being the best option by far for any running situation (although White and Barner have looked better than expected rushing). A 100 yard per game guy would be amazing, but if less carries gives him more longevity, I want that.

The kid is a bruiser. He passes the eye test.

It always scares me when they go empty and I am clamoring to put him back there and run play action. Although those plays probably work 90% of the time so what do I know?

Im loving him. Great in all the good stuff and decent at pass-blocking... This seems like it was a great pick by Bill. Call me crazy, but i think we could have run a bit more in the second half with him.

Still, I will always wonder what he would do in a Brady-less offense... No to take anything away from the kid, just out of curiosity

PS - i just realized I'm older than him :confused:

Im loving him. Great in all the good stuff and decent at pass-blocking... This seems like it was a great pick by Bill. Call me crazy, but i think we could have run a bit more in the second half with him.

Still, I will always wonder what he would do in a Brady-less offense... No to take anything away from the kid, just out of curiosity

We will get to see once his rookie deal is over. Then he will get twelve per and look like solder

I was wondering where this genius thread went off to..

He's got a little Le'veon Bell in him I say....

If he continued to average 106 per game, he'd fall 27 yards short (1460 yards) of Curtis Martin's franchise rookie rushing record (1487 yards).

Man, I was such a fanboy of Martin. Him leaving for NYJ was definitely a sour spot for me.

Before the game my son was picking his Draft Kings team and I told him to take Michel.
He gave me a puzzled look thinking Brady was going to sling it 50+ times.

I told him old school football ... best way to slow down a high powered offense is to run it down their throat ... and Michel did. Absolutely we have to have that to go deep in the playoffs because the offenses of this years top teams are electric. Let's hope he stays healthy.

If he continued to average 106 per game, he'd fall 27 yards short (1460 yards) of Curtis Martin's franchise rookie rushing record (1487 yards).

Man, I was such a fanboy of Martin. Him leaving for NYJ was definitely a sour spot for me.
Interestingly enough in Martin's 1st 6 career games he averaged 48ypg.

In his last 10 he averaged 120ypg

Has any college position produced the NFL talent of Univ of Georgia RB? Walker, Robert Edwards, Rodney Hampton, Garrison Hearst, Terrell Davis, Knowshon Moreno, Gurley and now Chubb and Michel. Unreal. Not just NFL players, but good or great NFL players.

24 carries is a heavy enough workload IMO.

Sony Michel’s rushing stats comparable to Saquan Barkley’s....receiving stats not so much. It’s an area he’s going to need to get better at...

24 carries is a heavy enough workload IMO.
True, what I meant is that he was used less on the second half. I think he got 8 carries only, there was a 50% dropoff between halfs...

True, what I meant is that he was used less on the second half. I think he got 8 carries only, there was a 50% dropoff between halfs...
True but I think some of it was because it started getting dicey with KC getting hot. At the point when we were in a shoot out we had to air it out primarily.

Nice. So far it does look like production-wise his closest comparison is 2012 Ridley, which was our best single RB performance since Corey Dillon had that ridiculous season in a different era.

Thanks!

Blount in 2016 wasn't far behind Ridley.

What's striking to me is how frequently the Pats have made the Top-10 in rushing attempts, yards and TDs without a Blount, Ridley or Dillon - especially since 2007, when the NFL began to become a "passing league".

Interestingly enough in Martin's 1st 6 career games he averaged 48ypg.

In his last 10 he averaged 120ypg

In the first two games of Barry Sanders' 2,053-yard season (1997), he rushed for 33 yds and 20 yds, respectively, at around 2 yds per attempt. IOW, he ran for 2,000 yds in the next 14 games (142.9 yds per game).

OTOH, during those first two games of 1997, Sanders also caught 10 of 15 pass tgts for 128 yards and a TD. Sanders finished the regular season with 33 catches on 50 tgts (66%) for 305 yds and 3 receiving TDs. He also added another 65 yards rushing and 43 yards receiving in the Lions playoff loss to Tampa.

In the first two games of Barry Sanders' 2,053-yard season (1997), he rushed for 33 yds and 20 yds, respectively, at around 2 yds per attempt. IOW, he ran for 2,000 yds in the next 14 games (142.9 yds per game).

OTOH, during those first two games of 1997, Sanders also caught 10 of 15 pass tgts for 128 yards and a TD. Sanders finished the regular season with 33 catches on 50 tgts (66%) for 305 yds and 3 receiving TDs. He also added another 65 yards rushing and 43 yards receiving in the Lions playoff loss to Tampa.
I don't see Sony getting 30 touches a game like CMart and Barry but he should hit 1k yds pretty easily.

But Sony sucks and BB can't draft.....:rolleyes:

I don't see Sony getting 30 touches a game like CMart and Barry but he should hit 1k yds pretty easily.

But Sony sucks and BB can't draft.....:rolleyes:

Sanders averaged 20 carries and just over 2 receptions per game for his career. He only topped a 25 touches/game average for a full season once (1991, his 3rd year). While he did get to 30+ touches in individual games, it was only 3 or 4 times per season. His career rushing average (10 seasons) was 5.0 ypa.

Sanders averaged 20 carries and just over 2 receptions per game for his career. He only topped a 25 touches/game average for a full season once (1991, his 3rd year). While he did get to 30+ touches in individual games, it was only 3 or 4 times per season. His career rushing average (10 seasons) was 5.0 ypa.
Curtis was 25 touches a game in 95 and almost 30 from games 7 to 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back