PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is Our Best Choice At RT?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We need 3-4 OT's, including a starter on both sides and a swing OT. Additionally, we always have a "fourth" who can be a guard, tackle or even TE.

We want BIll to secure more help. The we are talking, we can't count on much. Let's

BEST LT OPTION
I'm a doubter. I don't see this being Trent Brown. Perhaps, the best option is Reiff and Anderson, with the other being the backup, and probably the Game Day swing OT. I this optimal. Of course not. Could Strange start. Perhaps.

We want to consider starting a rookie 4th rounder who hasn't played LT since his freshman year. And we don't think that the old vet we signed with over 8 NFL seasons isn't good enough. I'm fine with Anderson being a very long look in camp (plus other possible acquisitions, but unless he is injured, he is being paid to start, and LT is his best role on the patriots.

BEST SWING OPTION
See above: Reiff or Anderson

BEST RT OPTION
For me, the right choice is Trent Brown. He probably won't last a whole year as a solid LT, but he might last one or even two at RT.

FOURTH OT - DEVELOPMENTAL OT BACKUP RT OR EMERGENCY OT
This could be McDermott, Sow, or even Strange.

We

BOTTOM LINE
Let's be clear. I am not saying that Bill should stop looking for a signing or a trade. I just don't think that the focus should be RT. I would be very happy looking forward to running behind Onwenu and Brown.

Last edited:
Putting Brown on the right side does solidify 4 of the 5 OL positions. But fixing LT at this point seems like a huge lift. There doesn't seem to be a good pathway forward.

The question in a vacuum is difficult though, because ultimately what you want is the best starting five you can put out there, and that might mean some places on the line don't have the very best guy they could.

In the case of RT, by itself, I think you're right that Brown is the best guy on the team. BUT, he's also probably the best LT on the team IMO. So assuming he's there, the next best RT is probably Onwenu. But that comes to the larger question? Are they better with Onwenu at RT and Mafi/Sow/whoever wins the RG job once he's moved? Or are they better with Onwenu sticking at RG and whoever wins between Reiff/Anderson at RT?

It's a question that will get answered one or the other in training camp. We need to see these guys in pads.

Putting Brown on the right side does solidify 4 of the 5 OL positions. But fixing LT at this point seems like a huge lift. There doesn't seem to be a good pathway forward.
Having 4 positions solidified is a tremendous start.

However, I don't think that Reiff and Anderson at LT is a terrible situation, given that we have a couple of months to acquire another LT.
===========
All teams have weaknesses, with a couple of months available to fix the issue. Reiff/Anderson/fa/trade is our worst position. OK, but there still are opportunities.

Not addressing both T's this offseason was very odd. This is the offenses Achilles heel and will hold them back this season.

Not addressing both T's this offseason was very odd. This is the offenses Achilles heel and will hold them back this season.

I think we addressed it *if* you consider that the team views some of these interior OL rookies as tackles-in-training AND Reiff as a solid tackle.

My vote is to put Reiff out there...and PRAY to god that Brown plays 17 games....

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I am routing for Calvin Anderson to have a fantastic camp and to win one of the OT jobs.
At this point in time I do not have any statistics to back this up. I am just routing for him.

I also feel like we cannot count on Trent Brown. :( He's giant man however is his heart into the game???

It very well could. Just hope they can figure something at least passable over the summer. I don't have much faith in Brown

Ideally Trent Brown at LT, Sidy Sow at RT… with Calvin Anderson as the primary depth guy.

Trent Brown should probably be at RT but as many of you have said, he is the best option at LT. When he is not jumping the count he is very serviceable. Mafi would have to really surprise to move Onwenu. Call me an idiot (please don't) but I thought Connor McDermott solidified the line at the end of the year. So I will hope for Brown, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, McDermott. If someone else proves to better, I'm alright with that.

Onwenu, put the rook at RG, issue solved.

I don’t think Pat’s fans realize how athletically gifted Sow is. Guy is massive and moves like a much smaller guy.

He may not begin the year starting at tackle but he may end up there, especially if they rely on Reiff early. The good news is there are options.

I agree Sow is the wildcard. He could be really good.

Onwenu, put the rook at RG, issue solved.
This option is growing on me. It’s not ideal as Onwenu is such a great RG but won’t be quite as effective on the outside.

But right now Trent Brown is out of shape and Riley Reiff may not make it out of TC.

Sow, who has played LT at Eastern Michigan, is a possibility. But that was his freshman year in 2018. He likely needs a year.

The OL coach is going to have to earn his paycheck.

This sequence doesn't create confidence in Anderson - against the Chargers he lost every which way. He's supposed to be smart and athletic, but here he loses badly against both speed and power:

As a run blocker:

Last edited:
Until we see the camp lineups I have Connor McDermott penciled in as the season starter at RT...

Unless reiff or Anderson step up and take the job I don't think McDermott gets unseated from the role he played last year...

I am hoping the new ol coach can suss this out quickly so the best option gets the most first team reps in camp

Last edited:
So long as we aren’t playing musical chairs halfway through the year…we will be fine. I think the talents there and could be a very good OL. Time will tell.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back