PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do we root for?

Chiefs can still end up as low as the 4 seed if they lose to the Bengals (possible) and the Broncos (well...weirder things have happened)

I picked the Bengals to win this weekend, the way they've been playing they have all the pieces to beat a team like KC. A very effective ground game, and a really good, young QB who can sling the ball, with 3 really good receivers

i dont know much about their defense

I picked the Bengals to win this weekend, the way they've been playing they have all the pieces to beat a team like KC. A very effective ground game, and a really good, young QB who can sling the ball, with 3 really good receivers

i dont know much about their defense
Trey Hendrickson is great

Who we 'root for' is usually more of a case 'who do we root against'; same is true this week.

The Patriots clinch a playoff spot this week with a win over Jacksonville - plus either
a) the Dolphins lose at Tennessee; or​
b) the Raiders lose at Indy​

The Pats clinch at least the #6 seed if all of the above happen.

So in other words, we root for:
  1. Patriots win (obvious)
  2. Titans win (Dolphins lose)
  3. Colts win (throw up in your mouth, take one for the team)

I would add root for the Falcons (vs Bills) for the AFCE too, but given the home/away splits - is that even really a good thing this year? Maybe if we get Indy (a dome team) in cold weather as a 4 vs 5, but I'm not sure about that matchup - even if it is outside and in Foxboro. . .

Who we 'root for' is usually more of a case 'who do we root against'; same is true this week.

The Patriots clinch a playoff spot this week with a win over Jacksonville - plus either
a) the Dolphins lose at Tennessee; or​
b) the Raiders lose at Indy​

The Pats clinch at least the #6 seed if all of the above happen.

So in other words, we root for:
  1. Patriots win (obvious)
  2. Titans win (Dolphins lose)
  3. Colts win (throw up in your mouth, take one for the team)

I would add root for the Falcons (vs Bills) for the AFCE too, but given the home/away splits - is that even really a good thing this year? Maybe if we get Indy (a dome team) in cold weather as a 4 vs 5, but I'm not sure about that matchup - even if it is outside and in Foxboro. . .

A cold-weather game against Indianapolis in Foxboro would probably work against us. The weather may play to their advantage in the run game.
Also, Carson Wentz is accustomed to playing conditions that make Foxboro seem mild.

Anybody know what happens if we beat the Jags but Raiders and Dolphins win, does that make the final game vs Fins a must win? Or can we still get in if we lose to Miami in the final week?

A cold-weather game against Indianapolis in Foxboro would probably work against us. The weather may play to their advantage in the run game.
Also, Carson Wentz is accustomed to playing conditions that make Foxboro seem mild.

on the other hand, they cant pipe in noise at Gillette ;)

Anybody know what happens if we beat the Jags but Raiders and Dolphins win, does that make the final game vs Fins a must win? Or can we still get in if we lose to Miami in the final week?

in that scenario, we would need indy to lose to jax or raiders lose to sd. Either of those would get us in.

long as we beat jax it would take alot to keep us out. Possible but very unlikely. Unless wentz does miss this week and the chargers tank the last week, then it gets a little worrisome, but even then chances are ten beats mia this week.

in that scenario, we would need indy to lose to jax or raiders lose to sd. Either of those would get us in.

long as we beat jax it would take alot to keep us out. Possible but very unlikely. Unless wentz does miss this week and the chargers tank the last week, then it gets a little worrisome, but even then chances are ten beats mia this week.
Thank you. If it came down to the Miami game, I would be a nervous wreck. @Miami is always tough and they have been hot lately. Hope it doesn’t come down to the last week and Raiders or Miami lose and Pats beat the Jags.

Thank you. If it came down to the Miami game, I would be a nervous wreck. @Miami is always tough and they have been hot lately. Hope it doesn’t come down to the last week and Raiders or Miami lose and Pats beat the Jags.

Same here. I do feel like thats the type of game we should win anyways if we are going anywhere in the playoffs. And if the colts do lose that moves us up a seed if we win out. But my priority is definitely having things clinched this weekend. You never know what can happen leading up to that game with miami as far as injuries or covid.

These are the scenarios where we can clinch a playoff spot this week, a playoff game and at least one win I'd consider it to be a good stepping stone for this team with a rookie QB. I'm not going to bring ties into this equation because they're rare.
  1. NE win + MIA loss or tie OR
  2. NE win + LV loss or tie OR
  3. NE tie + MIA loss + LV loss + LAC loss or tie OR
  4. NE tie + MIA loss + BAL loss or tie OR
  5. NE tie + LV loss + LAC loss + BAL loss + PIT loss or tie OR
  6. NE tie + LV loss + LAC loss or tie + BAL loss or tie + MIA win + BUF win

Funny enough, the Dolphins and Raiders winning can actually be beneficial to the Patriots.

The Pats ceiling of a potential #1 seed still requires the Titans to lose at least 1 game. However, if the Titans lose out and the Colts win out, the Pats would lose the #1/#2 seed (provided we got the other additional help needed) to the Colts.

To me an ideal week is the:

-Bengals (vs Chiefs)
-Falcons (@ Bills)
-Dolphins (@ Titans)
-Colts (vs Raiders)

All winning this week. We would have nothing clinched but then the scenarios for a high seeding in Week 18 would be quite simple

#1 Seed
Pats Win + Chiefs Loss

#2 Seed / AFC East Title
Beat the Dolphins

This is going in with the mindset of expecting to finish 2-0 and getting the best seed possible and delaying winning the battle (playoff berth) to potentially winning the war (best playoff seeding as possible).

Funny enough, the Dolphins and Raiders winning can actually be beneficial to the Patriots.

The Pats ceiling of a potential #1 seed still requires the Titans to lose at least 1 game. However, if the Titans lose out and the Colts win out, the Pats would lose the #1/#2 seed (provided we got the other additional help needed) to the Colts.

To me an ideal week is the:

-Bengals (vs Chiefs)
-Falcons (@ Bills)
-Dolphins (@ Titans)
-Colts (vs Raiders)

All winning this week. We would have nothing clinched but then the scenarios for a high seeding in Week 18 would be quite simple

#1 Seed
Pats Win + Chiefs Loss

#2 Seed / AFC East Title
Beat the Dolphins

This is going in with the mindset of expecting to finish 2-0 and getting the best seed possible and delaying winning the battle (playoff berth) to potentially winning the war (best playoff seeding as possible).

My brain is having difficulty convincing my soul why I need to hope that both Miami & Indy actually win Sunday… It’s repugnant to my senses, morally so in the case of Irsay’s blood Clots…

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back