PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do we draft #3 overall ?

Daniels is not Lamar Jackson, not close.

Daniels is not Lamar Jackson, not close.
I believe I wrote "Lamar Jackson Type", as in playing style. I never said that he was Lamar Jackson. He's also a lot slimmer than Jackson (unless he can bulk-up). And even if you disagree that he's that type, my original point was that some team might view him as such.

I’m hearing the exact opposite of that from Jeremiah, Brooks, Kiper, and PFF. The player who is dropping is Maye, not Daniels. I’ll take any of them. And if they draft a receiver at 3 they can kiss their future goodbye. They won’t get a QB for years, and they will suck for years.

Those guys all get paid by generating clicks. Again one of our differences, I fully expect to suck for years regardless of who we pick, so BPA and don't reach for someone because of position or trade back.

Those guys all get paid by generating clicks. Again one of our differences, I fully expect to suck for years regardless of who we pick, so BPA and don't reach for someone because of position or trade back.

Jeremiah was a scout for the Ravens, and he’s a reliable source of draft information. You can think what you want about it but I’m going to go by the resources I find reliable. I honestly don’t care what people like you and rochrist think any more than you care what I think. If they don’t get a QB then it really doesn’t matter what else they do, because there are no QB’s available they can win a championship with on the market, and next years draft sucks at QB. I have made my decision on what I want them to do, and that’s not going to change.

Jeremiah was a scout for the Ravens, and he’s a reliable source of draft information. You can think what you want about it but I’m going to go by the resources I find reliable. I honestly don’t care what people like you and rochrist think any more than you care what I think. If they don’t get a QB then it really doesn’t matter what else they do, because there are no QB’s available they can win a championship with on the market, and next years draft sucks at QB. I have made my decision on what I want them to do, and that’s not going to change.

Fair, I guess that is another difference, I could change: 10 more weeks of data; more video to watch; trade offers; who is available.

The only think I wouldn't change my opinion is that I think it is taking the 3rd Qb because he is there, vs the one you want is a bad idea.

I have been looking at some mocks and playing with a simulator and for me the choice seems to come down to do I want MHJ/Nix or Maye/Worthy or Mitchell? I am leaning toward Maye and 2nd round WR. I am curious on others opinions.

I also would love to bring in Noah Fant

I understand your passion for getting a QB
I watched a clip on Jeremiah last night
He is very concerned that Daniels did not throw to the middle of the field. Also he said he could drop a long pass in a bucket but was not as accurate on short and intermediate passes.
He stated that maybe he can get better in those areas. But those 2 areas are a must in the NFL

He stated that maybe he can get better in those areas. But those 2 areas are a must in the NFL
Something to keep in mind is Daniels is 2 years older than Maye and had 5 years playing College football.

He's unlikely to have the sort of improvement that a younger, less experienced and developed player will have.

Fair, I guess that is another difference, I could change: 10 more weeks of data; more video to watch; trade offers; who is available.

The only think I wouldn't change my opinion is that I think it is taking the 3rd Qb because he is there, vs the one you want is a bad idea.

I wouldn’t take the QB just because they were there, I have said a number of times that if Bo Nix was the 3rd QB, or McCarthy or Penix then I wouldn’t take them, as I don’t think any of them are franchise QB’s, but I do think that Williams, Daniels , and Maye all have that potential, so I’m fine with any one of them. In that case I would do everything I could to move up. The bottom line for me is that the Patriots aren’t going anywhere until they have a franchise caliber QB. And they aren’t going to get that in free agency, or next years draft, unless they are picking first overall and a QB emerges to deserve that pick. So this is their best opportunity to get one that we are going to see for a while. And even if they go through another year of total garbage at the position, and are picking 4th or 5th next year, they are likely going to have to give up multiple first rounders to move up and get a QB with franchise ability. So I have no idea where all the people who want Harrison or Alt, or a trade down think they are going to get a QB, because they are really really hard to come by, and this draft all the Patriots have to do is make their own pick. Is that a guarantee that the pick will be great? No, it isn’t, but it’s the best bet they have. And it sets up perfectly in this draft because it’s so strong at OT and WR that they can come away with starters at all three positions of they take the QB at 3, and address the other two positions after that.

He is very concerned that Daniels did not throw to the middle of the field. Also he said he could drop a long pass in a bucket but was not as accurate on short and intermediate passes.

I’ll go back and listen to Jeremiah again, but I listened to Move The Sticks podcast on Friday and he didn’t say any of those things during it. In fact both he and Brooks agreed that Maye was the one who was dropping, and that Daniel’s can make anll the throws, and had completely outperformed William’s and Maye this season.

Last edited:

If they had a QB then my approach to this draft would be completely different, as I have always preferred using the first round pick to find an All Pro, more than to just filling a need. However with the worst QB’s in football I believe that had to be fixed, and nothing else they do will matter if it isn’t. It’s like having the worst goalie in the NHL and hoping to win, or the worst pitching in baseball. You simply cannot win in any of those situations, so you either fix it, or continue to suck until you do. So I don’t care if a team gives them 20 picks for the #3, if it means they continue to go with the worst QB’s in football it won’t matter.

If they had a QB then my approach to this draft would be completely different, as I have always preferred using the first round pick to find an All Pro, more than to just filling a need. However with the worst QB’s in football I believe that had to be fixed, and nothing else they do will matter if it isn’t. It’s like having the worst goalie in the NHL and hoping to win, or the worst pitching in baseball. You simply cannot win in any of those situations, so you either fix it, or continue to suck until you do. So I don’t care if a team gives them 20 picks for the #3, if it means they continue to go with the worst QB’s in football it won’t matter.
i think if you do it right which means surround the qb with talent at pass catchers and o-line, combined with proper coaching all 3 top qbs have a good upside and can succeed. However this requires investments into the offense (FA and draft)

If we draft a qb at 3, i would use the next 3-4 picks on offense. We have to hit on some OT and WR. The OT FA class sucks big time.

i think if you do it right which means surround the qb with talent at pass catchers and o-line, combined with proper coaching all 3 top qbs have a good upside and can succeed. However this requires investments into the offense (FA and draft)

If we draft a qb at 3, i would use the next 3-4 picks on offense. We have to hit on some OT and WR. The OT FA class sucks big time.

Sounds good to me. If they simply stay put at their first 3 picks they will be able to get a franchise caliber QB, starting OT, and still get really good WR prospects at 3&4.

Here is Jeremiah’s scouting report for
Jayden Daniels
LSU · QB · Senior
Daniels is a tall/lean quarterback with exceptional accuracy, decision-making and speed. He is very poised and comfortable in the pocket. He likes to use a rhythm bounce at the top of his drop before settling his feet into the ground and smoothly transferring his weight to throw. He has an extremely quick release and beautiful throwing motion. He throws with anticipation, touch and accuracy. He flashes the ability to manipulate safeties with his eyes to create separation downfield. When he gets pressured, he doesn’t hesitate to explode out of the pocket. He has elite suddenness. He is more of a linear/speed runner than a break-down/make-you-miss type of ball-carrier. He needs to do a better job of protecting himself, though, as he took some huge hits in the games I studied. Overall, Daniels took a massive leap in 2023 and now offers both a high floor and ceiling.

To put this a different way, had the Patriots ended up with the 4th pick in this draft instead of the 3rd then I would approach this differently. First I would try to make a trade up with the 3rd team so as to take one of the top 3,QB’s. Then, if no trade was possible I would take Harrison Jr. WR. Then I would take the best OL or QB left at #34, and then try to trade up for one of OL/WR/QB they hadn’t addressed yet. And I would also consider trading down at #3, if the deal was good enough.

I’ll go back and listen to Jeremiah again, but I listened to Move The Sticks podcast on Friday and he didn’t say any of those things during it. In fact both he and Brooks agreed that Maye was the one who was dropping, and that Daniel’s can make anll the throws, and had completely outperformed William’s and Maye this season.
Don’t get me wrong he said many great things about Daniels
I will try and find the Podcast I was listening to and post it.
I am sure it was Jerimiah but could have been Brugler who I also respect
I sometimes have trouble transferring things. I’m kinda a dinasour
I just want to have a dialogue with you
Like you I want a repair to our QB situation
I don’t want to pass on a good candidate but don’t want to reach
Bouncing things off each other only strengthens our knowledge
I respect you and know we can keep it civil while playing devils advocate at times

Here is Jeremiah’s scouting report for
Jayden Daniels
LSU · QB · Senior
Daniels is a tall/lean quarterback with exceptional accuracy, decision-making and speed. He is very poised and comfortable in the pocket. He likes to use a rhythm bounce at the top of his drop before settling his feet into the ground and smoothly transferring his weight to throw. He has an extremely quick release and beautiful throwing motion. He throws with anticipation, touch and accuracy. He flashes the ability to manipulate safeties with his eyes to create separation downfield. When he gets pressured, he doesn’t hesitate to explode out of the pocket. He has elite suddenness. He is more of a linear/speed runner than a break-down/make-you-miss type of ball-carrier. He needs to do a better job of protecting himself, though, as he took some huge hits in the games I studied. Overall, Daniels took a massive leap in 2023 and now offers both a high floor and ceiling.
Believe me I have read and watched a lot stuff on Daniels
I like Jerimiah and Brugler

I'm in favor of moving down if it's a relatively big package and the Pats still can draft a top prospect at a different position, like OL. There's a lot of holes on the roster. A porous OL and lack of elite WR/TE targets will hamper QB development anyway and make it too high risk.

I'm in favor of moving down if it's a relatively big package and the Pats still can draft a top prospect at a different position, like OL. There's a lot of holes on the roster. A porous OL and lack of elite WR/TE targets will hamper QB development anyway and make it too high risk.
If there is a huge package for say 8
I would jump at it
I think Daniels or Maye could warrant the 3rd pick
Watching a lot of video about them
Leaning towards them but not yet sold
But a can’t refuse package is just too valuable with us in a total Offensive rebuild
At 8. 1 the Top 9 Offensive players would be there

Daniel Jeremiah on Bryce Young:

“The Bryce Youngs don’t come around very often, where you get somebody that doesn’t fit all the specs but is supremely talented,” Jeremiah said. “To me, I just thought he has the best tape of anybody in this class. I thought it was clear-cut. Just with everything he does on-schedule, off-schedule, accuracy, poise, ball placement, play-making ability, being great in those big clutch moments late in games, managing games. All that stuff is off the charts.”

“If it was like a blind taste test, if you just read the notes on Bryce Young and didn’t look at how big he was and you read your notes on Joe Burrow, they would read almost identical,” Jeremiah said. “I think he is that type of a player. I think he is that type of a talent."

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back