PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do we draft #3 overall ?

Does the hiring of Van Pelt alter anything, in your opinions about what we do at #3?
I think letting Van Pelt pick his offensive staff is a good thing
If they are eyeing a QB in FA or the draft having his insight may help
I do not think he should be pushing for what we do with the #3 pick
I would like to know who the GM is for the FA and draft considering it is vital to get us back on top

This matter, it seems to me, cannot be decided in the abstract. It is not the case that deciding whether in the abstract it is "better" to draft at this that or the other position, whether in general or for us in particular, will give you your final answer. More important than whether it is in general wiser to do team-then-qb or qb-then-team is WHO is available at each position in question, pretty much the same, maybe oddly, as it would be if were were not sitting here with wretched squat for an offense.

If I had to say which overall approach is better, I'd probably (on an empirical basis anyway) pick "build the team first," so that we don't end up ruining yet another young qb, but I nevertheless think the key questions still bear on the quality of the individual players at the various positions rather than on "draft philosophy" in the abstract.

I've said before, the Krafts should lock the defense draft board in a closet until round 3 or maybe even day 3. "Until then, there are no defensive players available."
Absolutely. We have the worst offensive roster in the league fer cryin' out loud. This rebuild is going to be, given reasonable diligence and a reasonable degree of success, a two or three year affair. At this point in the rebuild, aside perhaps from spending reasonable sums on resigning present defensive players, we must focus on offense. When your ass is on fire, you don't waste time titivating your favorite haberdashery. (I know: I like words, so shoot me)

They actually are a bit off.

#3 to #6 is 600 points. #39 and #47 combined are 940, and NYG's first would be at least another 400. They'd get two of those three, I think, but not all three.
That draft chart doesn’t apply to the first 4 picks of this draft. It just doesn’t. The 3 qb’s and Harrison are off the charts game changers. I think Wilfork75 is right on the money by expecting it to rain Christmas for one of those picks.

In any other part of the draft, the chart is probably correct but not in this instance with these players and I’ll bet my dogs house I’m correct.

This is from USA Today.

The obvious issue is that they do not get a QB in this draft, and therefore need to solve that minor issue.

TRADE: #3 to Atlanta for #8, #43, and a first-rounder in 2025.

1.8 Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia
2.34 Jordan Morgan, OT, Arizona
2.43 Chop Robinson, EDGE, Penn State
3.68 Ja'Lynn Polk, WR, Washington
4.103 Kiran Amegadjie, OT, Yale
5.135 Jermaine Burton, WR, Alabama
6.181 Will Reichard, K, Alabama
7.228 Rasheen Ali, RB, Marshall

If Maason Smith is there in the 2nd round, I'd rather have him than Robinson to pair with Barmore.

That draft chart doesn’t apply to the first 4 picks of this draft. It just doesn’t. The 3 qb’s and Harrison are off the charts game changers. I think Wilfork75 is right on the money by expecting it to rain Christmas for one of those picks.

In any other part of the draft, the chart is probably correct but not in this instance with these players and I’ll bet my dogs house I’m correct.
I am correct in that it wouldn't be for the Giants' first, but that's because I misread the original post, which had the Giants' second in 2025. That makes the package virtually identical to what the Colts got in 2018. [Colts traded pick #3 to Jets for picks #6, 37 & 49 (2nds) & 2019 2nd rounder.]

I am correct in that it wouldn't be for the Giants' first, but that's because I misread the original post, which had the Giants' second in 2025. That makes the package virtually identical to what the Colts got in 2018. [Colts traded pick #3 to Jets for picks #6, 37 & 49 (2nds) & 2019 2nd rounder.]

5 years ago. Inflation and much better prospects available with first 5 picks. Kings ransom or bust.

(I know: I like words, so shoot me)

It is not that you like words. You like to show off including supposed bragging about your work history. That same arrogance resonates through your opinions in your posts and is very tiring. At your age it should be self obvious but you seem immune to all recognition of what is obvious to others.

I absolutely love Drake Maye and am pretty sure he will be the best of Williams, Maye and Daniels.
Those wins at Pittsburgh and Denver really cost us a shot at Maye.
Williams and Maye going 1-2 for sure.

5 years ago. Inflation and much better prospects available with first 5 picks. Kings ransom or bust.
Year-over-year inflation in draft picks is not a thing. There's only the question of what teams are willing to pay to move up or to take to move down.

I really don't know. I'm pretty sure it's going to be Williams 1 and then some ordering of Maye, Daniels, MHJ, and Alt 2 to 5, but I think almost any order of those four is possible.

ALT/ Maye ... tonight I'm feeling like that's the stack I'll get behind...grab one of those in the first.

It WILL change a few hundred / thousand times until draft tho.

I absolutely love Drake Maye and am pretty sure he will be the best of Williams, Maye and Daniels.
Those wins at Pittsburgh and Denver really cost us a shot at Maye.
What do you do then?

Trade or select mhj/alt

It is not that you like words. You like to show off including supposed bragging about your work history. That same arrogance resonates through your opinions in your posts and is very tiring. At your age it should be self obvious but you seem immune to all recognition of what is obvious to others.
Go **** yourself. See? Simple words.

Condolences on your insecurity.

My first choice would be Maye
Second is Daniels but if could pull off a trade for Fields would pick Alt

We need to figure out if Brock Bowers is a generational talent at TE or not. If he is then he makes all three phases of our offense better.

We need to figure out if Brock Bowers is a generational talent at TE or not. If he is then he makes all three phases of our offense better.
Best TE prospect I've seen in my 11 years "scouting"...But Pitts is also up there

@BaconGrundleCandy let's cut to the chase buddy, who are we picking ?!
At 3 - Maye/Williams/Harrison

After listening to Cam Williams and others I believe Harrison will be in play as much as the QBs. Who knows what will happen. Just listening to some of the things coming out Foxo. Sounds like some people are set on getting more explosive at WR.

We'll see but #3 has a very small board imo.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back