PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do we draft #3 overall ?

Brown needs a fresh start somewhere else. He has more baggage than delta airlines!!!
As I used to work for Delta Airlines, I can validate your statement as being highly accurate.

We also most certainly must add Center to the O-Line shopping list. Dave Andrews will be 32 and considering how valuable a quality Center and a backup is, we NEED a guy that could start as a rookie and be solid, even if they only have to be a backup as a rookie. Not carrying an insurance policy behind Dave Andrews for many years (and James Ferentz was a PS player for the last few seasons for a reason), was outright malpractice on the part of BB.

We drafted Andrews replacement last year and he played the final game of 2023 at guard. His name is Andrews too, Jake, drafted in the 4th round. Looks like he might be good. Played well in the snow. We don't need to draft a center.

I know it is fashionable to blame BB for everything. Outright malpractice?

If they are too close to form a consensus on who is better then wouldn’t it make sense to trade back and take the second one if we are set on a tackle?

If they are of similar value, picking one of the two with the third pick is bad value.

I meant my reply as mostly about Alt being the inferior prospect. If the team thinks they are about the same, I would like to fall back to 6 or 7 and draft which ever one is there. If they like one specifically they may just need to take them at 3

Which means that a potentially top QB falls into our lap, which I believe will happen anyway. It's just that said QB might have to sit a year and learn while the rest of the offensive talent is added and coached-up.
The question becomes who is the top QB, there really is only 1 I would take at 3 (at this point in the process). And if they are going to sit anyway, I would look to take one of the 2nd round guys and fix another position in the 1st.

We drafted Andrews replacement last year and he played the final game of 2023 at guard. His name is Andrews too, Jake, drafted in the 4th round. Looks like he might be good. Played well in the snow. We don't need to draft a center.

I know it is fashionable to blame BB for everything. Outright malpractice?
Yes. It was. But then that's just my opinion, which probably counts for nothing.

If the Patriots get cute and take MHJ with the #3 pick then figure to wait until round 2 only to find Nix and Penix gone before their pick then what?? Welcome to QB purgatory, that's what.
Going to end up like the Seahawks, like the Broncos, like the Vikings, like the Bucs, like the Jets, like many teams trying forever to land that franchise QB. The biggest slap in the face is if Maye or Daniels go on to be legit QB's for their teams.

If the Patriots get cute and take MHJ with the #3 pick then figure to wait until round 2 only to find Nix and Penix gone before their pick then what?? Welcome to QB purgatory, that's what.
Going to end up like the Seahawks, like the Broncos, like the Vikings, like the Bucs, like the Jets, like many teams trying forever to land that franchise QB. The biggest slap in the face is if Maye or Daniels go on to be legit QB's for their teams.
Sanders or Ewers or Dart 2025

Arguments either way.
A good argument can be made that Daniels and Maye are far more likely (based on history, not opinions) to end up being like the guys playing for the Broncos and Jets than the ones playing for the Chiefs and Bills.

Arguments either way.
A good argument can be made that Daniels and Maye are far more likely (based on history, not opinions) to end up being like the guys playing for the Broncos and Jets than the ones playing for the Chiefs and Bills.
Maybe. But we have a top pick, and the option to select a very talented QB. For a team that benched their starting QB multiple times and turned it over to their backup who sucks? You've gotta take a leap of faith in my opinion.

Don't sleep on Beck. NFL Draft Buzz has him as #4 QB, but that seems like an extremely biased take. I think he gets a little slighted for being a pocket passer on a team with elite talent with one year of starting, but he plays against elite talent and his individual skills are top notch. The additional year will probably catapult him to Top 5 overall unless something horrible happens.

Arguments either way.
They will never hit if they never swing. By your logic when is there ever going to be a better time for them to draft a QB? When they go 1-16 next year? If it's done right the QB should be sitting and learning for this upcoming season as they build the roster. No QB taken will be years of local sports radio call-ins suggesting we trade for or sign some bum cast-off or some teams backup who played ok for a couple games he filled in. Gimme a break. I can hear it now, "maybe they can trade for Baker Mayfield or the Bengals backup who filled in this season."

Got to go with the QB. Risky because it puts the franchise back 3 years when you miss. But the rewards for 5 years is tremendous if you hit.

However, if they go positional, trade back with Giants for a haul. Take Alt or Fashanu. Go with Nix in the 2nd. Sign Cousins and Higgins in free agency. Draft wr Tony Horton out of Colorado st in the 3rd or 4th. Just my wish list.

I’m with you on Alt
My fear is Kraft will want a QB at all costs to keep the stands full
i have no doubt he was a driving force to pick Mac Jones
He is a business man first and foremost
We seen that when he hung Brady and all us fans out to dry during Deflategate because he wanted to keep the brand strong
A nice new shiny QB sells way more than a LT
You're probably correct but I've read Alt is a beast. If we could trade down a few places grab Alt and pick up additional draft capital and take Nix or Penix at 34 it would be a good start.

They will never hit if they never swing. By your logic when is there ever going to be a better time for them to draft a QB? When they go 1-16 next year? If it's done right the QB should be sitting and learning for this upcoming season as they build the roster. No QB taken will be years of local sports radio call-ins suggesting we trade for or sign some bum cast-off or some teams backup who played ok for a couple games he filled in. Gimme a break. I can hear it now, "maybe they can trade for Baker Mayfield or the Bengals backup who filled in this season."

Understood. And it isn't my logic. I'm just having a conversation.

Understood. And it isn't my logic. I'm just having a conversation.
Not looking to call you out but many people have that opinion, that's merely my counter argument.

Sanders is likely #1 overall, Patriots have a ton of cap space, a top-notch returning defense and some high picks, coupled with an easier schedule, they won't likely draft in the top 10, never mind the top 3.

Sanders is currently rated around Maye and Daniels. For example, Draft Buzz has Williams 93.5, Maye 91.6, Sanders 91.0 and Daniels 90.5.
Nobody else in the 2025 draft is above an 87 right now. The odds of getting a prospect as good as Maye and Daniels in 2025 is very, very slim. Sanders is the only first round rated prospect in 2025 at the moment where there are 3 this year.

Hoping to be in position to draft a quality QB in 2025, where it seems a weak class, is not likely to get you out of QB purgatory.

I feel like there's a ton of people talking past each other here

The Pats absolutely shouldn't draft a QB with their top pick if he's not worthy of it. Flip side, they absolutely should draft a QB if he is

There's no "right" answer here independent of the context of whether there's one worth taking

If we go by the idea that no one knows what the hell they're doing when they pick a QB, which very well might be true, I l lean toward taking the quarterback, because you will not win without one, and when you do have one, it's hello Houston, welcome to the AFC final 4

Fashanu, is rated higher than Alt by most analysts. I understand why people want to settle the left tackle position. I don’t understand why people are advocating for the consensus second best tackle at #3.

One of my biggest gripes with Belichick’s drafting is that he almost always ignored consensus. To me drafting Alt at 3 is the same type of mistake most of us were frustrated with Bill for making.

Realistically Alt should be available in the 4-6 range. This team needs to hit on a bunch of positions and to do that needs to maximize their assets.
I don't think its a consensus at all. I really only look at rankings/info from 3 sites and 2 have Alt higher and the other has Fashanu. Another thing is these sites rank them overall but do not take into account the type of offense a team runs. For instance. Alt is better in Zone and better run blocker and Olu is a better pass blocker(according to Brandon Thorne of Bleacher Report, which has them tied at 9.0/10 both top 10 picks).

I think Alt is better well rounded than Olu but either would be a great addition for us.

Ewers???? Cmon Ewers???? He'd be behind JJ McCarthy in this draft.
No way....Already a better passer than McCarthy, but he's going back for a reason...to further develop...He will be botha first round pick and franchise QB
Sanders is likely #1 overall, Patriots have a ton of cap space, a top-notch returning defense and some high picks, coupled with an easier schedule, they won't likely draft in the top 10, never mind the top 3.

Sanders is currently rated around Maye and Daniels. For example, Draft Buzz has Williams 93.5, Maye 91.6, Sanders 91.0 and Daniels 90.5.
Nobody else in the 2025 draft is above an 87 right now. The odds of getting a prospect as good as Maye and Daniels in 2025 is very, very slim. Sanders is the only first round rated prospect in 2025 at the moment where there are 3 this year.

Hoping to be in position to draft a quality QB in 2025, where it seems a weak class, is not likely to get you out of QB purgatory.
Love Sanders, hopefully can separate himself from a potential circus with his dad

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back