PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do we draft #3 overall ?

This offense literally has nobody to game plan against. I like Stevenson and Douglas. But, they don’t keep defensive co-ordinators
awake at night. Barkley and Fields at least make us interesting until we find long-term answers.

Agree . Marv has Gold Jacket potential. Can’t pass that up.
Exactly...This is the worst state that this team has been in (rookie HC, bad roster with no QB coming off a 4 win season, lot of talented UFAs) in a while

the smart move would be OT Joe Alt from ND. Most polished OT in the draft, agile, and only 20 yrs old. I think you might be able to get a QB in the 2nd (Nix) and there are WRs and OGs in the later rounds that would provide help. I think fixing the OLine is the #1 priority
That’s my thinking. Trade back a few positions if possible. Gotta start from the inside out. We have total crap at OT. Trent Browncan be good but is erratic. We assume he’ll be somewhere else next season.

It highlights the idiocy of BB going defense in the third round. Just had to go Dawand Jones at RT. He let the OL turn poor.

That’s my thinking. Trade back a few positions if possible. Gotta start from the inside out. We have total crap at OT. Trent Browncan be good but is erratic. We assume he’ll be somewhere else next season.

It highlights the idiocy of BB going defense in the third round. Just had to go Dawand Jones at RT. He let the OL turn poor.

I agree with this. No idea what BB was thinking with the OL last year.

Someone who takes snaps...I find that to be a far less interesting question than:

If you take a QB at 3, where are you getting a plug and play LT (and maybe RT)?
Fair enough. Just feel if you're protecting some absolute JAG all you're doing is giving him an extra couple of seconds to throw an int. I appreciate we need both but for me the QB needs to be right or Mayo won't last 2 seasons.

Fair enough. Just feel if you're protecting some absolute JAG all you're doing is giving him an extra couple of seconds to throw an int. I appreciate we need both but for me the QB needs to be right or Mayo won't last 2 seasons.
HIs contract language actually employs him for life, Belichick signed off on it :rofl:

I guess the flip side is with a couple extra seconds even most JAGs won't throw as many ints.....and worse than Mayo only lasting 2 seasons is your #3 pick only lasting 2 or 3 seasons because he is injured or mentally broken.

I guess the flip side is with a couple extra seconds even most JAGs won't throw as many ints.....and worse than Mayo only lasting 2 seasons is your #3 pick only lasting 2 or 3 seasons because he is injured or mentally broken.
Aye, time will tell. Just feel we need to be thinking about a long-term QB solution, not JAG sticking plasters.

Aye, time will tell. Just feel we need to be thinking about a long-term QB solution, not JAG sticking plasters.

I get it, I just don't want to take a QB because he is the one that is there, I don't want the team to talk themselves into a player because he is the only on that they can get. Many holes need to be filed, and without a better team around any QB, we may not know if we have a solution or not.

How many highly drafted QBs, guys that were projected to be long term fixes, were drafted to terrible teams and were gone before their first contract was up? You don't even have to go back far, 2021....great QB draft, 5 guys in the top 15....now 3 seasons removed 1 of them is likely to get a second contract with the drafting team? How many QBs have gone through the NYJ, CLE, CHI ringer?

Everyone wants a QB, I want a QB, I also want to build the Offense to a place where a QB has a chance to succeed.

I agree with this. No idea what BB was thinking with the OL last year.
The oline class from last year was not very good. Paris Johnson, Wright, Broderick Jones all ended up playing right tackle while Skoranski played guard. They didn’t grade out all the great either. First year I know.

Only two players ended up with starts at LT which were Chiefs Wanya Morris who was drafted in the 2nd or 3rd and Titans Jaelyn Duncan 6th. Got to admit I was a little peeved they didn’t take a shot at the project Duncan when I was clamoring for him in the 4th and 5th. No reason why he should of fell to the 6th based on what was available.

In other news, Sidy Sow graded out the highest of all rookie guards in run blocking and 3rd overall of all guards in the NFL in gap schemes. So it looks like we may have gotten a winner there. Still needs work on his pass blocking but a fine pick regardless. Basically 2/5 of the oline is complete if they sign Onwenu.

I’d like to see them draft a LT in the 2nd if they don’t go Alt or Fashanu. A lot of names out there but waiting for the combine and Senior bowl to see who sticks out. Also, seems like you can get a quality center in the 4th or 5th.

Strange is fine for now but he seems to lack the functional strength to hold off power rushers. Eventually I’d like to see that addressed but there are more pressing needs

What happens with Pick 3 will depend on what happens when free agency opens. If they don't bring in a vet QB before the draft then they are talking a QB at 3. If they do then they'll likely make a small trade down, take Alt/Fashanu and add a rookie QB on day 2.

One thing to add, some posters are filling their diapers over Penix Jr having an injury history. However, the main "vet" referenced continues to be 35 year old Kirk Cousins who is rehabbing from a busted Achilles. Go figure. Even heard a few shouts for JG, who is the very definition of injury prone.
I don't want JG.

The oline class from last year was not very good. Paris Johnson, Wright, Broderick Jones all ended up playing right tackle while Skoranski played guard. They didn’t grade out all the great either. First year I know.

Only two players ended up with starts at LT which were Chiefs Wanya Morris who was drafted in the 2nd or 3rd and Titans Jaelyn Duncan 6th. Got to admit I was a little peeved they didn’t take a shot at the project Duncan when I was clamoring for him in the 4th and 5th. No reason why he should of fell to the 6th based on what was available.

In other news, Sidy Sow graded out the highest of all rookie guards in run blocking and 3rd overall of all guards in the NFL in gap schemes. So it looks like we may have gotten a winner there. Still needs work on his pass blocking but a fine pick regardless. Basically 2/5 of the oline is complete if they sign Onwenu.

I’d like to see them draft a LT in the 2nd if they don’t go Alt or Fashanu. A lot of names out there but waiting for the combine and Senior bowl to see who sticks out. Also, seems like you can get a quality center in the 4th or 5th.

Strange is fine for now but he seems to lack the functional strength to hold off power rushers. Eventually I’d like to see that addressed but there are more pressing needs

Mafi and Andrews may well be great too. If we resign Onwenu, I think the IOL is all set. I would like a tackle in R2 and R3, or a RT free agent. We need two tackles. If we resign T Brown he can be a backup.

Mafi and Andrews may well be great too. If we resign Onwenu, I think the IOL is all set. I would like a tackle in R2 and R3, or a RT free agent. We need two tackles. If we resign T Brown he can be a backup.

Brown and Onwenu are considered and 2nd and 3rd ranked tackles in FA, it will be interesting to see if they bring either back, and what they'll cost. With what Brown has been saying, along with his health, I don't think I want him with the team next season.

The pick is #3. You mess it up you set the franchise behind 3 years,
If we are picking to try and protect a rookie coach‘s future. Then we have entered the land of JAG teams.
If there is a QB that is worthy of the pick you take him. Personally none of them blow me away
Otherwise OT is a great building block for the rebuild. 10-15 years stability at a high priority position
More often than not. Good QB’s fail because of Bad OLines. While subpar QB’s flourish because of Good OLines

Way too much for Fields, Lance went to Dallas for a 4th; Mayfield was a conditional 4 or 5th, what makes Fields more valuable than that?
Fair comment. Basically it has to do with how many teams could be competing to trade for him.
I do not think there was a big market for Trey Lance and certainly Mayfield had fallen off the cliff.
Justin Fields may not be the greatest passer but as a runner he is pretty fantastic and in the right setting he could develop like LJ.
So, I think he has more upside potential than the other two and as a result a bigger trade market will develop for his services.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back