PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who are your top 5 "most important" players for 2022?

• Mac - Obvious
  • Brown - See above. His health is critical.
  • Meyers - Most reliable WR on the team. Will need him to be successful
  • Mills - Can he play like a CB1? Is he not just a CB1 on paper?
  • Barmore - Will need him to compensate for deficiencies elsewhere

At this point:
1-5. Mac

Mac - obvious choice, I believe this guy is so ambitious and has got a talent to lead the team to success.

Jonathan Jones - With no true CB, Jackson's departure he needs to be a mentor for young players. Additionally he might be accustomed to new role as an outside CB. Sorry, somehow I do not believe in Butler anymore or Mills as a true CB.

Barmore - like many said he is a key element of our defense. I hope he steps up and shows he is a beast.

Parker - a man who should be a primary weapon in the red zone. As a big body WR he is able to help Mac in TDs.

One of our LBs who makes himself to be faster and more decisive. No more issues with tackling please.

I know I’m a complete homer, but I think the CB group is going to surprise people. Bill’s superpower is holding together an effective defensive back group with no name CBs and duck tape. I think Malcolm is going to be that vet who still is able to get the job done. I think the rooks are going to come on strong by the end of the season.

I’m more worried about the linebackers, to be honest.
I'm less confident re Butler. On the Pats Beat podcast i think they said there are only 6 CBs last year that are over 30 that saw significant time and Butler missed an entire year before that. Hopefully i'm wrong. I think Mitchell might get the most reps

Mac is the key guy but can he elevate himself to be a top 10 QB . If not, then we need to roll the dice for the next one... Right now sitting slightly below Kirk cousins and above tannehill.

Judon needs to have a consistent monster year.

Jonnu Smith to keep the defenses guessing. I treat Jonnu as a bigger playmaker than Henry .

Jalen Mills

And lastly Barmore.

1 Patricia - New schemes take time and this NE offense enters uncharted waters with MP. It does not matter how good the players are with suspect play calling.
2 Stevie B - Unless something has changed, I expect him to be the DC calling the defense. The challenge is bigger this year in the absence of JC Jackson.
3 Thornton - The new offense depends on him and his big play ability. If he can come through, it will make life easier for Agahlor and others.
4 Judon - Was an absolute force last season until injury. The NE defense naturally fell off after Judon was hurt and less effective.
5 Jones - Thornton, Agahlor, Parker will not thrive without arm strength. Dinking and dunking must be limited.
We're in trouble if we need Patricia and Steve to actually play

What!? Mac Jones has as good an arm as anyone in the NFL. He is not as mobile as a lot of new QBs, but he has a superior arm. Last year the problem was the the Patriots did not have anyone who could get open (let's twist the knife here a little--the Patriots could have drafted Deebo Samuel and A. J. Brown, but nooooooooooo, Bill had to have his main man Harry). Whether the Patriots have addressed their WR problems remains to be seen, but I have high hope for Thornton, at least until he get injured.
Tell us you don't know anything about football without telling us.

He had lots of open guys, he was a rookie. He passed up plenty of long ball opp opportunities for the short high percentage gain.

I'm sure more than a few defenses confused him on plenty of plays. He was a rookie. Outside of maybe Herbert and Dak, we haven't seem rookies light it up

What!? Mac Jones has as good an arm as anyone in the NFL. He is not as mobile as a lot of new QBs, but he has a superior arm. Last year the problem was the the Patriots did not have anyone who could get open (let's twist the knife here a little--the Patriots could have drafted Deebo Samuel and A. J. Brown, but nooooooooooo, Bill had to have his main man Harry). Whether the Patriots have addressed their WR problems remains to be seen, but I have high hope for Thornton, at least until he get injured.

Huh?

I never said Jones had a weak arm. I said he doesn’t have the top end talent around him, but at least now they have provided the deep threat and big outside and red zones receiver to give him a better chance at operating this offense.

I think we are a number 1 receiver away from having an elite receiving core.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back