PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Year in the Salary Cap Era Was The League Its Strongest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vindicate

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
OT: Which Year in the Superbowl Era Was The League Its Strongest?

This year was heavily underscored by the narrative that it was a weak year (as it was). Teams were wishy-washy, no team other than the Patriots had both a top offense and defense, and a litany of other qualities. It's got me wondering though....

What was the strongest year for the NFL in terms of overall competitiveness? I've always heard that 2007 was a pretty heavy year. I was quite young back then and didn't have the most analytical approach to things, so I don't remember too well.

Was there a year where the league was pretty scary all around?

(If anyone wants to provide a breakdown of some of the stronger teams, or most of them, please do. Most of you guys have a pretty good story-telling quality that I love reading. Wayyyyy better than media.)

****EDIT****: Anyway I could change it to Salary-Cap Era by chance? Sorry!!! Regardless, I'd like to hear commentary of either!

AFC
Denver w 1st of 3x SB appearances in 4 years.

NE in SB year prior

Cle 2x in AFCCG

Jets had some good teams in the 80s and CIN was 10-6 and missed the playoffs.

NFC
Bears came off SB season

Giants were dominant and won it

Redskins won it in 87 and were very good

SF was in dynasty period

Rams were a perennial playoff team.

'86 not a bad choice - I certainly think the 80's have that year. The NFC of the 80's was filthy - SF, NYG, Skins, Bears, Eagles, Rams - best a single conference has ever been.

For 2004 there were some powerhouses, but it doesn't compare to those pre-cap 80s teams or even early-mid 90s teams. It was top-heavy but that's to be expected with the salary cap. It's just that the top teams were really heavy and there were some great defenses and overall balance.

Arguably the best Patriots team, or at least the best championship team. Went 14-2 and set record for most consecutive wins, including postseason. Last repeat champions and beat all teams below in the playoffs.

13-3 Eagles team that was stacked and would have been easily the league's best team most years. 4th straight NFC Championship appearance and the best team of that Eagles run with McNabb.

15-1 Steelers in Big Ben's rookie year. Won title the next year.

Record setting Colts offense with Manning's 49 TDs. Or the type of defensive power as the other teams but still a notable team that would win title two years later. 49 TDs then were not like 49 TDs today. Manning had perfect passer rating in wild card round.

2007 was also pretty darn good. Obviously the astronomically dominant Patriots, a defending champion Colts, which I think was their best team (almost beat Patriots and were 9-0 and led league in defense), a Chargers team that was essentially the same as their 14-2 squad from the year before, and in the NFC the Cowboys and Packers had arguably their best squads of the decade, and there was an overlooked Giants team that went 11-5 against brutal competition, and we painfully remember where they ended up.

'86 not a bad choice - I certainly think the 80's have that year. The NFC of the 80's was filthy - SF, NYG, Skins, Bears, Eagles, Rams - best a single conference has ever been.

If those 80s teams from the NFC played with today's rules on offense, they would all average over 30 points/game.

I'd say 1974.
In the AFC you have some legendary teams in the Dolphins, Steelers and Raiders.
In the NFC there were some really great teams in the Cowboys, Redskins, Vikings and Rams.

Its funny that post 2000, the toughest competition occured in the years we made the SB, namely 2004 2007 2011.

I think 2011 was underrated when you look at teams like Green Bay and New Orleans.

OT: Which Year in the Superbowl Era Was The League Its Strongest?

EXlo0I.gif

"That all depends on what your definition of 'strongest' is." :)

I'd say 1974.
In the AFC you have some legendary teams in the Dolphins, Steelers and Raiders.
In the NFC there were some really great teams in the Cowboys, Redskins, Vikings and Rams.

I was going to give just about the same answer. Also you forgot Pitt. That is right before their dynasty run started.

72-79 was the most loaded era in the NFL.

Actually the most recent year is always the "strongest" across all players in modern athletics.

So... 2016-17 :)

But I think you mean strongest playoff teams relative to league non-playoff teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back