PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which QB do you want the Patriots to draft?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which QB do you want the Patriots to draft?

• Total voters

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Welcome to the official which QB do you want in the draft poll. Choose wisely my friends.
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

If I had to make the pick today I would take Drake Maye, but I’m fine with any of the top 3. Ultimately I think his size and arm give him a little bit of an edge. I think he’s the more prototypical QB, and has the athleticism that could make him a Josh Allen caliber QB in the NFL. I really like Daniels as well, but there’s a little more risk with picking him. I’m not that worried about his weight, because I don’t think he’s slight, I think he’s lean and athletic. And I saw him take big hits at LSU and just bounce back up. So I guess I would compare him to a guy like Edelman, who wasn’t big, but he was as rugged as it gets, and could take any hit and just keep going. But what ultimately made choose Maye over Daniels was his ability to get more velocity on mid range throws, which is needed to get the ball into the tight windows they face in that area of the field. However given the dramatic gains Daniels made with good coaching at LSU I believe that he could also make significant improvements in his weaker areas with good coaching in New England, and the rest of his game borders on spectacular. And one thing is for certain, if Daniels ends up here it’s going to be must see TV, as he is as explosive a playmaker as we will ever see.

I won’t bother with Williams, as he won’t be there. But I’m really hoping that Chicago’s desire to dump Fields causes any team that wants to get him to lowball the **** out of them. If I were making the decision I would offer a 5th, decline his option, use him as a 1year bridge, and then take the 3rd round compensatory pick in return for his free agency.

To me McCarthy is the biggest risk and the biggest projection. I don’t dislike him, but the production just isn’t there, and everything is being projected for him to be a great QB, which is exactly what the Jets did with Zach Wilson. They just fell in love with his tools, and overlooked everything else. However I do think McCarthy has a franchise ceiling, and he seems to be a winner, and the ceiling is the requirement for taking a QB in the first round imo. I don’t believe the others, Nix and Penix have that ceiling, so I wouldn’t use a first on either, and even if I did take one of them I would still be looking for a franchise QB in the first round of every draft until I found one.

Maye or McCarthy

i don't think Daniels strength fits the NEP offense and skill position players. he is dope in vertical schemes but NEP really relies on MOF, short and intermediate stuff from my feeling. I think Maye and JJM fits here better.

Trading down to ~8-14 to get Nix seems like a good way to get one of the most "pro-ready", mature QB's in the draft..
AND get another ~2 high value picks to also get top level LT & WR.
All 6 top QB's are a gamble, and it's all about fit. Nix is mature, high % guy, very mobile, and experienced in rising through adversity.
He's a guy who doesn't seem good in artificial testing (shrine / combine), but is a gamer.

I think I prefer either Daniels or McCarthy. I chose McCarthy in the poll because I’m easily swayed by draft rumors and the latest posts that I’ve read. I’ve been vacillating between the two of them for a while.

I also will second RLKAG.

I abstain... mainly because in 2021 I wanted Mac and look how that turned out. I'm intrigued by Nix and Penix but I'm down on McCarthy. I guess Maye is the best choice, but I don't know. Daniels seems like a gamer.

I think they're all interesting, soI'm putting a lot of faith in the guys we've brought it to find the best one available to us when we pick.

First things first.
ray thank GIF

Second... I want them to take the best one. I really have no idea which one that's going to be. Further, if Bo Nix is 95% of Maye or Daniels, then that's the play, as it will allow them to trade back and get some other holes filled. I am not going to sit here and ***** that they traded back, missed out on Maye/Daniels, and took Nix at 11, and then took a top flight OT or WR later in R1, or vice versa.

The odds are that more than one of these guys, Williams/Maye/McCarthy/Daniels/Nix/Penix are going to be a bust, and the odds are against any of them becoming a HoF QB. Let's say 2 of them are good enough to be the QB for the next 10 years, then they gotta pick the right one, all while juggling the prospects of getting that guy later than #3 and then loading up picks for moving down. It'd be nice to go into the future and know that Nix is a border line all-pro guy that can be drafted in the 20's, and take Harrison at 3 and then move back up to get him. None of this is a slam dunk.

Screw it.

R1 WR Harrison
R2 OT Fautanu
R3 DL Sweat
R4 QB Joe Milton

That'll make heads explode.

I really wish it was easy. Unfortunately, know one knows for sure of Maye/Daniels is The Guy at 3 or not.

I want the guy that doesn’t throw interceptions and puts the team in a position to win every week.

There’s a lot of opinions out there and who’s right and who’s wrong won’t be justified until at least year 1.

Most of us can put forth our best ideas and beliefs of who their QB is and why the other posters guy isn’t but in the end there is not one poster here that 100% knows how all these prospects will do with the teams and situations they are drafted into.

For the record if we are going with pick 3, I like Maye, but wouldn’t be unhappy with Daniels.

If they trade back to 8-12 I like McCarthy although I’m a little wary.

18-34 I like Nix.

3rd round I like Rattler, Penix,

4th round Milton.

Thats my board. Likely to change with pro days coming up.

Maye and McCarthy. I feel like the both of them have the highest long term upside. I like Daniels but how long is he going to last? Lamar is electrifying, Fields is the best runner in the league and what have either of them won? I need a little more balance from Daniels. I wouldn’t mind Daniels, would just feel more comfortable with the other 2.

Williams, Maye, Daniels and McCarthy will all be taken by the 6th pick. If we trade back any further you are likely looking at Penix or Nix in the mid to late 20s. I’m fine with trading down, but only a spot or two. Need one of those first four on the team.

I know the conventional wisdom is that they zero in on a guy and get him where they think they can. But what if they grade a lot of these guys relatively equally, like Maye, McCarthy, and Nix? In the past, we've seen teams trading down not for a specific guy but because they'll still have the option to get one of the guys they grade relatively the same. I'm not sure that applies to QBs, but it's a method of drafting I think is more common than fans think.

I still don't know if I'd rather have Daniels or Maye.
Same here. Maye is likely more a higher-floor/lower ceiling guy, a safer choice. But I think we all remember the last time we uttered the high floor/low-ceiling thing about a QB pick (last name Jones). Daniels, on the other hand, may come on the scene, make a big splash, get everybody all giddy, then spend the rest of his three-year career bouncing on and off IR or pretending to care about learning to play in the pocket. That puts the choice in an equal balance in my mind. I chose Daniel, because ti would probably make for more fun next year or something, but if it's Maye, I would understand that decision as well.

I mean ideally somehow Caleb Williams falls to them. That isn't happening.

So realistically the best option is whoever is the best of Maye/Daniels. If they draft anyone else, they better be drafting MHJ first and then trading back up into the first to get McCarthy/Penix

I know the conventional wisdom is that they zero in on a guy and get him where they think they can. But what if they grade a lot of these guys relatively equally, like Maye, McCarthy, and Nix? In the past, we've seen teams trading down not for a specific guy but because they'll still have the option to get one of the guys they grade relatively the same. I'm not sure that applies to QBs, but it's a method of drafting I think is more common than fans think.
If they grade McCarthy and Nix equal to Maye, would have bigger problems regarding their evaluation process.

I wonder if there may be a similar situation with the 1st Rnd trade last year out of #14 to #17 to get Gonzo and... Ryland. It seemed they were gonna be happy with either Forbes or Gonzo.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back