PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where Mac Jones fits in Pats History

In the erased section ...

Pretty telling that Mac's numbers aren't significantly better considering it is basically a different sport from when Eason played.

He belongs with Tommy Hodson, Marc Wilson, Scott Secules and Hugh Millen section barely,,,,

Real question...
What is your honest assessment if they decided to draft OL/WR (whatever) instead of Mac in '21, and handed the reigns to Stidham.
Would he have done Worse / Better / Same as Mac over these 3 years?

It's just a comp exercise. Because the issue with Stiddy was he was good at times, but inconsistent and threw bad INT's.

The Patriots have used pick #15 twice on quarterbacks in their franchise history. If Mac Jones does not play again this year, the first three playing season's results are creepy:

Player:_________ Games Started_______Yards_____Touchdowns____Interceptions
Mac Jones _____________ 41______________8,829 _________46____________34
Tony Eason ____________ 37______________8,712__________53____________35

By these metrics, other than interceptions, Eason was the significantly better quarterback. And he did this in an era where receivers could be mangled and quarterbacks were fair game to be mutilated, unlike today where the game is heavily weighted in favor of offenses.

Oh yes, Eason was horrible. What does that say about Mac? Please reply and tell me if the numbers lie....
Eason did lead the team to the playoffs, but was pummeled by the Bears. Having seen them both, I put Mac below Eason who could at least make some throws.

Real question...
What is your honest assessment if they decided to draft OL/WR (whatever) instead of Mac in '21, and handed the reigns to Stidham.
Would he have done Worse / Better / Same as Mac over these 3 years?

It's just a comp exercise. Because the issue with Stiddy was he was good at times, but inconsistent and threw bad INT's.
I would prefer Stidham any time. I thought Stidham and Zappe were short changed in their opportunities. I preferred Stidham over Cam and Zappe over Mac, neither was given a clear shot.

Bill Belichick picked the GOAT who nobody thought would even be an NFL backup. Thus creating a coaching legend.

And, Bill Belichick also picked the Alabama Bambino who was overhyped. Briefly being a Heisman Trophy candidate. A decision which will likely lead to Belichicks firing.

Eason did lead the team to the playoffs, but was pummeled by the Bears. Having seen them both, I put Mac below Eason who could at least make some throws.
Some throws ? He had a huge talent and 2 fantastic seasons
If he had Grogan attitude he would have been behind Brady our top qb ever
Still he sent us too at out first Super Bowl with 3 road wins
Not bad...
Mac looks like Taliaferro...

Bill Belichick picked the GOAT who nobody thought would even be an NFL backup. Thus creating a coaching legend.

And, Bill Belichick also picked the Alabama Bambino who was overhyped. Briefly being a Heisman Trophy candidate. A decision which will likely lead to Belichicks firing.
Bambino lol...

I would prefer Stidham any time. I thought Stidham and Zappe were short changed in their opportunities. I preferred Stidham over Cam and Zappe over Mac, neither was given a clear shot.
Zappe had his shots. Vomited all over himself on national TV in the bears game and was beaten thoroughly by Jones in the QB competition this past summer. I mean if you can’t even beat a shook QB like Mac that says it all. Don’t see a need to keep trying again and again with this guy why would next time be a different outcome. He doesn’t belong in the league.

I prefer Stidham as he is now vs what he was when he left the Pats. Not the guy either but does have a big arm and now he has more experience. Maybe this Stidham would have been given a look at the end of the 20 season.

. I mean if you can’t even beat a shook QB like Mac that says it all.
There's no real pressure in practice... get it wrong? just do it again... no need for the happy feet... I'm sure Mac excels in practice...

There's no real pressure in practice... get it wrong? just do it again... no need for the happy feet... I'm sure Mac excels in practice...

Mac right now = Jared Goff in SB 53. Totally just like Mac with the back foot throws and bad sacks. Especially the Van Noy sack turning 3rd and 2 to 4th and 14.

Just as shook.

Mac right now = Jared Goff in SB 53. Totally just like Mac with the back foot throws and bad sacks. Especially the Van Noy sack turning 3rd and 2 to 4th and 14.

Just as shook.

my god, that defense was beautiful

• Love
Reactions: sb1
Mac will be remembered as someone who should have never been drafted in the first round
Would have been interesting to see how far he would have fallen if the Pats went in another direction.
Looking back at the draft, the good news is that the Pats didn't miss out on anyone after he was picked in the 1st round to when they picked Barmore with the 2nd pick.

He didn't work out, but he was still the right pick as the Pats absolutely needed a QB.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Mac Jones's history as a Patriot is not complete yet. However at this point , I consider Mac's overall performance to date to be the worst performance when compared to the lousiest QB's of all time for the Patriots.

Why? We've had QB's on the Patriots who were never any good from the beginning and consequently, I never had an real opportunity to get my hopes up that could lead to any real disappointment.

Jones showed definite promise in his rookie year until the last half of the season. And although we got slaughtered by Buffalo ,we still made the Playoffs and most of his passes didn't bounce off the ground or miss the receiver by 10 yards like Cam Newton's. By the end of his first season, my hope remained alive.

Then we had the fiasco of the 2022 season with Beavis and Butthead running the offense but we still finished 8 and 9 so hope remained alive. But the glaring weaknesses of Mac Jones including piss poor pocket presence, horrible footwork, and not seeing the entire field continued to get worse and worse to the point to where (and I hope I'm wrong) I've lost all hope for him as a QB because he just plain sucks.

So I am sad to say that the combination of my currently broken hope and disappointment combined with the "**** tease" performance of 2021, I hereby award Mac Jones the most ****tiest Patriot QB ever.

P.S. - I would be happy for him and the team if Jones eventually proves me wrong. . .

sddefault.jpg

RIP Bama Mac.

In a footnote?

Brady
Bledsoe
Grogan
Parilli
Flutie
Eason
Plunkett
Songin
Jones
Taliaferro

Is roughly how i'd rank the top ten... Would really have to look at the numbers on the bottom of the list to really sort them out proper

I think Damon Huard was a better QB than Mac Jones.

He started 27 games with a 15-12 record better than Mac's 41 games with 18-23. And his 61% completions and 81 QB Rating in that run heavy era is more impressive than Mac's ratings now.

I'd take Huard over Jones to be my QB in a game today.

Mac Jones really has to rank very very very low.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back