PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where have all the running QB's gone?

Sorry. I didn't realize that there were official and quantifiably precise definitions for "running QB" versus "mobile QB" versus QBs who only run when they're fleeing for their lives - or for "a scramble" versus "a designed run".

On an RPO play, there's technically always an option for the QB to run it himself based on his read of defensive keys. If Wentz pulls the ball away from the RB at the mesh point and runs it himself, is that a "designed run"? Or is it a "scramble?"

BTW - the stats in my post are career averages. Here are some recent numbers:

Newton 2016: 6.0 att/gm ... 24 yds/gm
Newton 2017: 8.7 att/gm ... 47 yds/gm
Newton 2018: 7.2 att/gm ... 35 yds/gm
8-year CAREER avg: 7.6 att/gm ... 39 yds/gm

Wilson 2016: 4.5 att/gm ... 16 yds/gm
Wilson 2017: 5.9 att/gm ... 37 yds/gm
Wilson 2018: 4.2 att/gm ... 24 yds/gm
7-year CAREER avg: 5.8 att/gm ... 33 yds/gm

Carson Wentz has 542 career rushing yards in 40 games. Kaepernick had 639 rushing yards in 2014 alone. RGIII had 815 rushing yards in his rookie season. How can you put Wentz in the same category as RGIII and Kaepernick?

It is clear that the OP was talking about a different type of QB than you assume is a rushing QB. I don't get why you are making this a big deal.

And Wilson's numbers the last three years vs. his average back up my assertion. Maybe Newton's doesn't.

And the run pass option is a not truly a designed running play since it typically is designed as a passing play and with the QB having the option to run. It is more of a running play than a standard passing play because the odds are much higher that the QB will tuck the ball and run with it, but it isn't a designed running play. But even with the Eagles doing it, Wentz has a 3.8 YPC average for his career. RG3 has a 6.1 YPC average and Kaepernick also had a 6.1 YPC average.

Carson Wentz has 542 career rushing yards in 40 games. Kaepernick had 639 rushing yards in 2014 alone. RGIII had 815 rushing yards in his rookie season. How can you put Wentz in the same category as RGIII and Kaepernick?

It is clear that the OP was talking about a different type of QB than you assume is a rushing QB. I don't get why you are making this a big deal.

And Wilson's numbers the last three years vs. his average back up my assertion. Maybe Newton's doesn't.

And the run pass option is a not truly a designed running play since it typically is designed as a passing play and with the QB having the option to run. It is more of a running play than a standard passing play because the odds are much higher that the QB will tuck the ball and run with it, but it isn't a designed running play. But even with the Eagles doing it, Wentz has a 3.8 YPC average for his career. RG3 has a 6.1 YPC average and Kaepernick also had a 6.1 YPC average.

Well, the definition of what constitutes a "running QB" is apparently much murkier to me than it is to you. So, I really have no idea what the difference between a "running QB" and (whatever other types of QB may exist) is actually based on.

Ergo, your original claim, "guys like Kaepernick and RGIII showed they were a passing fad and that that type of QB isn't long for this world" continues to seem unsubstantiated to me.

Belichick looks for 2 things in a QB:

1. Decisionmaking
2. Accuracy

Well, the definition of what constitutes a "running QB" is apparently much murkier to me than it is to you. So, I really have no idea what the difference between a "running QB" and (whatever other types of QB may exist) is actually based on.

Ergo, your original claim, "guys like Kaepernick and RGIII showed they were a passing fad and that that type of QB isn't long for this world" continues to seem unsubstantiated to me.

Whether you think a running QB is ambiguous or not, you cannot deny the types of running QBs like RG3 and Kaepernick was a passing fad. Based on the original poster’s question, those seem to be the type of running QBs he was asking about.

Whether you think a running QB is ambiguous or not, you cannot deny the types of running QBs like RG3 and Kaepernick was a passing fad. Based on the original poster’s question, those seem to be the type of running QBs he was asking about.

Actually, I can - and do - deny that. It seems pretty clear that NFL teams are still trying to find ways to make that work, just based on the last two drafts and the ongoing attempts to incorporate RPO principles and other college innovations that benefit from "running QBs" into their offensive schemes.

But, maybe that's just me. Clearly, I don't know jacksh*t about football.

Maybe I can help with that.

In football terms this here is some truly great Jack...

jack_lambert_photofile.jpg

...and this is universally accepted as sh*t:

new_york_jets_1998-pres.png

Hope that helps clear things up.
;)

Maybe I can help with that.

In football terms this here is some truly great Jack...

jack_lambert_photofile.jpg

...and this is universally accepted as sh*t:

new_york_jets_1998-pres.png

Hope that helps clear things up.
;)

Much clearer now. Thank ye!

Requirements for success as an NFL QB (Aside from the good fortune to be on a decent team):

1) The ability to throw - accurately.
2) Brains.
3) Calmness and courage under duress.

The "athletic ability" to run away from your shortcomings as a QB for a season or so until some tackler inevitably deprives you of the ability to do so doesn't even make the list.

Jackson is terrible.
Tests only tell so much about Lamar Jackson | Tim Sullivan
If the leaks are to be believed, Lamar Jackson’s Wonderlic score is lower than that of the typical janitor.

Actually, I can - and do - deny that. It seems pretty clear that NFL teams are still trying to find ways to make that work, just based on the last two drafts and the ongoing attempts to incorporate RPO principles and other college innovations that benefit from "running QBs" into their offensive schemes.

Remember when people said RPO was a fad? College wasn't going to creep into the league?

Now literally every team is stealing something from some college coach.
Athleticism is being factored in at a young age so these guys aren't going anywhere.

Very soon the majority of guys may be considered duel threats, mobile QB's or what have you. Teams will have to adjust or fade away.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back