PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When will we see the Pats get another big time WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minute Man199

Rookie
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, the guys they have now are very good and effective, but I would like to see another WR here with the big play impact of Terry Glenn or Randy Moss. Yes we have that big play ability in our TE with Gronk, but to me you can never have enough weapons in your arsenal, and would just love to see that kind of impact wide receiver here. Do you guys see that happening at all at any point in the near future?

I guess, I just would like to see another home run hitter that's all.

How many players in the NFL today, at the WR position, would you trade JE for straight up ? Betcha don't name too, too many when push comes to shove.

Is that ONE TD every second game worth more to you than the hard, tough, clutch first downs JE consistently provides ?

attachment.php

Don't get me wrong, the guys they have now are very good and effective, but I would like to see another WR here with the big play impact of Terry Glenn or Randy Moss. Yes we have that big play ability in our TE with Gronk, but to me you can never have enough weapons in your arsenal, and would just love to see that kind of impact wide receiver here. Do you guys see that happening at all at any point in the near future?

Teams don't win with that formula.
I would rather see a big impact OL, DL, LB, CB, etc.
Why do we need to overspend on exceptional WRs when we have Tom Brady making the ones we have part of the one of the most effective passing games and offenses in NFL history?

The Patriots have been in the top 82 of alltime in points scored (note that is the 82nd best of all time, in 75 years of the NFL) 6 times in the last 8 years.
2007 #2
2012 4
2010 11
2011 13
2014 38
2013 68

Furthermore, in the last 8 years, half of the Patriot offenses were in the top 13 of all time.
During that run, only 3 other teams had a season in the top 13, and each just one time.
In other words, in 4 of the last 8 seasons, the Patriot offense has scored 513 or more points.
In the entire history of the NFL before that only 7 franchises have done that and during the last 8 years the Patriots have done it 4 times and the entire rest of the league has done it 3 combined.

One of those seasons had a "big impact receiver". Why would we change that philosophy?

Conversely, show the SB champs who won because they broke the bank on a top flight WR.

I get that its cool to have those guys, and they make fun plays, but in a league where you have a salary cap, paying top $ to a WR has proven to not be the best strategy.

Look around the league, and name the 'big impact receivers' and count their rings.

I guess, I just would like to see another home run hitter that's all.
Because you like home runs or because you think we would be a better team by spending money on that instead of other needs?

I think Tyms has more upside at this point than Dobson does.

And you are basing that on...? Him catching one deep ball against the jills for a TD? You know what he did after that? Absolutely nothing the rest of the season, until he caught a few balls in that throwaway game that last week of the season when Brady's 2 top pass catchers (Gronk and Edelman) weren't playing

Because you like home runs or because you think we would be a better team by spending money on that instead of other needs?

I agree with Andy, it just doesn't make sense in today's NFL to spend too much resourses on the wide out position. I think we have more weapons than we have had in a long time. Think about it, Edleman, Gronk, LaFell, Amendola, Dobson, Gibson and Chandler with Brady throwing to them....that is very good. I would rather focus on the O-line to make sure that Brady has enough time, because if he has time, we are going to score a lot of points this year.

Last edited:
Look around the league, and name the 'big impact receivers' and count their rings.

Seriously. Let's just take a look at the last ten SB winners and their #1 WR

Pats- Edelman
Seahawks- Baldwin
Ravens- T. Smith (1 season of over 800 yards)
Giants- Nicks
Packers- Jennings (Nelson had the big game but Jennings was firmly the #1 that year)
Saints- Colston
Steelers- H0lmes
Giants- Burress
Colts- Harrison
Steelers- Ward

Last edited:
Instead let's pretend we are another team. "When are we going to get a franchise Qb that leads us to 6 Super Bowls winning 4?"

How about "why didn't we draft Rob Gronkoski? That guy is a beast."

Or how about "I wish we had a hall of fame coach running our organization."

No, we get "we should of drafted head case Dez Bryant instead of McCourty. Or "was our crystal ball broken when we passed on Antonio Brown?" (threads)

Edelman went all out in that super bowl as well as Amendola. That catch by Lafell vs Baltimore? The chemistry is working just fine. This makes me proud of this team, all the hard work they put in to defy the odds. I think Belichick picks these type of players for a reason.

Hopefully never. It would be a waste of money, as a a "big name WR" is not necessary at all to win a championship. If anything, it's a hindrance because of all the money you'd have to pay him.

I would have hoped that by now Patriot fans would FINALLY understand how the WR position is easily one of the most "replaceable" positions on the field for the simple reason that there are more capable ones available than almost any other position.

One of the reasons the Pats have been able to maintain that thin sliver of advantage that has allowed them to attain their CONSTISTANT success has been the fact that they have never fallen for the long disproved myth that you have to pay big for a big name RB or WR.

Make no mistake, would I LIKE to have DThomas, or DBryant on the team? Absolutely. However would I be comfortable paying $14MM/yr for the privilege? I don't think so. WR's, ANY WR, just can't impact the game enough to justify that kind of salary and investment. It's been proven year after year When so often the BEST WR's aren't playing in January.

The Pats gave up the opportunity to draft Dez Bryant, who after a few years has become arguably the most impactful WR in the league. BUT Dallas never got beyond 8-8 despite his abilities, and having a great QB UNTIL they made the commitment to invest heavily in their OL

Again the simple reason WR's don't merit the hype they get, is that behind that limited group of elite WR's are dozens of guys who are ALMOST as good, and certainly good enough to run a good offensive scheme, led by a quality QB. That's why I'm constantly amazed with the national fascination, for all thing linked to WR's. To say they are a dime a dozen is an exaggeration, but it's not that far from the truth. An impact DT is worth more than an impact WR, simply because they are more rare.

I would have hoped that by now Patriot fans would FINALLY understand how the WR position is easily one of the most "replaceable" positions on the field for the simple reason that there are more capable ones available than almost any other position.

One of the reasons the Pats have been able to maintain that thin sliver of advantage that has allowed them to attain their CONSTISTANT success has been the fact that they have never fallen for the long disproved myth that you have to pay big for a big name RB or WR.

Make no mistake, would I LIKE to have DThomas, or DBryant on the team? Absolutely. However would I be comfortable paying $14MM/yr for the privilege? I don't think so. WR's, ANY WR, just can't impact the game enough to justify that kind of salary and investment. It's been proven year after year When so often the BEST WR's aren't playing in January.

The Pats gave up the opportunity to draft Dez Bryant, who after a few years has become arguably the most impactful WR in the league. BUT Dallas never got beyond 8-8 despite his abilities, and having a great QB UNTIL they made the commitment to invest heavily in their OL

Again the simple reason WR's don't merit the hype they get, is that behind that limited group of elite WR's are dozens of guys who are ALMOST as good, and certainly good enough to run a good offensive scheme, led by a quality QB. That's why I'm constantly amazed with the national fascination, for all thing linked to WR's. To say they are a dime a dozen is an exaggeration, but it's not that far from the truth. An impact DT is worth more than an impact WR, simply because they are more rare.

hmmmm 16 million a year for a wide receiver, or spreading that money out and having a good team. tough choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots