PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When religion is harmful

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I do not believe in God. However I don't tend to lecture people on why they shouldn't but I do have stronger views on Religion as opposed to just God belief. Most people are generally good and if they are in a religion they want said religion to be a force for good as well. Many times it is.

To just take a small example many churches in my area do food drives for the less fortunate. It is hard to argue that is not a positive thing even if you disagree with the religious beliefs of the people who do it. Of course there are many secular food drives and charities as well so it is not like these people could do it absent of their religion but if it gets more people to that has to be considered a good result.

All that being said we know many harmful things happens solely due to religion. Putting the obvious terrorist attacks aside I would like to focus on the christian religion as that is what most people here would identify as. Things like denying condoms to Africa that would help prevent AIDs due to their view on sex is one example.

When you give money to your church do those type of things cross your mind? When your religion is unwilling to change their harmful actions do you have thoughts about leaving your church or doubts about if you are doing the right thing being in it?

Last edited:
@BobDigital, thank you for nuancing this. Five years ago at a car site, religon was acutually more of a problem than the recent PoFo issues here. To your OP, there are good adherents and lots of bad ones, that IMHO, drive people from religion. The association of the Catholics with the Ancien Regime, and the Orthodox with the Czars, had a massive backlash during the French and Russian revolutions.

There are good and bad ministries. I had discussed how the news media went from a few outlets to countless 24/7, often in contempt of facts. In the 1950s, Billy Graham and Fulton Sheen started televangelism. When others followed, the quality took a nose dive with obvious panhandling on the air. Disgusts me when I drive in Irving Texas that the HQ for TBN is a copy of the White House.

You have believers quietly trying to do the right thing, and others that are phony, misguided, or otherwise offending the faith.

The Center for Progressive Christianity (TCPC) 1 is one of the leading groups promoting a network of progressive Christians.

Their eight points are a series of ideas that describe the TCPC's approach to Christianity. 2 It is not a statement of faith or creed. It is more a description of how Progressive Christians approach life. They are paraphrased below for brevity and to avoid copyright conflicts:

1. Focus: The teachings and life of Jesus provide them with a path to God.
  2. Pluralism: They recognize that others follow their own paths to God which are equally true for them.
  3. Communion: They view the sharing of bread and wine in Jesus' name to represent "an ancient vision of God's feast for all peoples."
  4. Inclusivity: All are welcome to become involved; persons of all genders, sexual orientations, traditions, races, etc.
  5. Reciprocity: How we treat others is the "fullest expression" of our beliefs.
  6. Search: They find more grace in searching for truth than in accepting certainty.
  7. Community: They form communities to support each other in their quest for peace, justice, a restored environment, and to provide hope.
  8. Cost: Following Jesus involves a personal investment in "selfless love, conscientious resistance to evil, and renunciation of privilege."
Progressive Christianity

I know that this thread is chiefly about Christianity, but it's interesting to look at a Buddhist view, Tibetan Dzogchen specifically, and see how they avoid some of the pitfalls surrounding religion.

"Striving to attain a spiritual objective is implied in all these approaches(religions), and it is here that Dzogchen defines itself outside the frame of religion and tantra yoga. Dzogchen stresses the undeniable fact that any goal oriented conscientious endeavor assumes a result in a future that never comes and thereby precludes any attainment in the present moment. Thus there can be no liberation until the drive to attainment is relinquished."

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back