PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's wrong with the Chiefs?

He played like crap until the 4th quarter last night, and then was able to turn on the jets, more like he's done in years past. That turning on of the jets has been absent, however, in many games this year.
he's lucky the Chargers played like they were 34 points behind in the 4th quarter the whole game. If they had just taken the points every time they would have won handily.

he's lucky the Chargers played like they were 34 points behind in the 4th quarter the whole game. If they had just taken the points every time they would have won handily.
I know! I don't get this obsession with going for it on 4th down in a close game in FG range, when 3 points will get you the lead or close to it. Ridiculous tactics.

I know! I don't get this obsession with going for it on 4th down in a close game in FG range, when 3 points will get you the lead or close to it. Ridiculous tactics.
BuT TeH AnALyTiKz ThO....

BuT TeH AnALyTiKz ThO....
They went 2-5 on 4th. If they go 3-5 we're not talking about it. Analysis of the decisions says it was the correct call every time. I get that we're not used to these decisions given that Bill is almost dead last at going for it on 4th down, but it was the executions that failed not the calls.

He played like crap until the 4th quarter last night, and then was able to turn on the jets, more like he's done in years past. That turning on of the jets has been absent, however, in many games this year.
chargers turned into the Jets in the 4th

Those three 4th down losses also represent KC starting deep in their own territory giving LA defense a better chance. KC did it as well. But just one of those 4th downs turned into 3 points would've changed the whole game. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.......

I know that the Chiefs can beat the Patriots in the playoffs, but I'm not as afraid of them as I would be against the Titans if Henry comes back and is close to his "normal" self.

The Chiefs are just so top heavy. They have a few studs and very little behind them. Besides Mahomes, Hill and Kelce, I can't name another good offensive skill player on the team. You know that BB and team will not allow Kelce and Hill to rack up 22 rec for 339 yards and 3 TDs combined. Do Pringle, Hardman and the others scare anybody? If we end up facing them it'll be the same as every other week; take away the one or two weapons and make them beat us with the rest. Again, I know they can beat us, but I wouldn't bet against this team and their makeup.

The Titans are physical and are well coached. We're fairly similar. If Henry is even 80% of what he was pre-injury then that's the battle I worry about most (though I still expect a win and a trip to the SB).

I know that the Chiefs can beat the Patriots in the playoffs, but I'm not as afraid of them as I would be against the Titans if Henry comes back and is close to his "normal" self.

The Chiefs are just so top heavy. They have a few studs and very little behind them. Besides Mahomes, Hill and Kelce, I can't name another good offensive skill player on the team. You know that BB and team will not allow Kelce and Hill to rack up 22 rec for 339 yards and 3 TDs combined. Do Pringle, Hardman and the others scare anybody? If we end up facing them it'll be the same as every other week; take away the one or two weapons and make them beat us with the rest. Again, I know they can beat us, but I wouldn't bet against this team and their makeup.

The Titans are physical and are well coached. We're fairly similar. If Henry is even 80% of what he was pre-injury then that's the battle I worry about most (though I still expect a win and a trip to the SB).

Agreed, especially after last night i see ten with henry and brown back as the top threats. Still respect the heck out of kc but I really like how we match up with them . The ideal situation would be getting the 1 seed, letting those 2 have to play on wc weekend before they beat each other up in rd 2 as the 2 and 3 seeds.

Meh..we can beat them...anywhere.

I mean I be pretty confident in us beating them, but the Chiefs keep winning a 7 game winning streak is impressive no matter who you play. They know how to win and even though Mahomes has been off this season they can still score points fast as we saw last night

They went 2-5 on 4th. If they go 3-5 we're not talking about it. Analysis of the decisions says it was the correct call every time. I get that we're not used to these decisions given that Bill is almost dead last at going for it on 4th down, but it was the executions that failed not the calls.
Can you please cite this “analysis” that shows those calls were “correct” for that specific situation at that specific time in the game?

This is what dopes like Staley and people who blindly go for it on fourth because the “analysis” says so cannot understand. They do not understand “context”

“Analytics” are based off thousands upon thousands of previous plays, but not necessarily in the specific situation your team is in. Just because the expected value of going for it on fourth may be higher than attempting a field goal across those thousands of previous situations, that doesn’t mean it’s the “correct” call for your specific team, with those specific players, against that specific team, in the specific time of the game, in that specific point of the season.

Yeah, can analytics help helpful? Sure, but they can only be used as one data point; you again need to consider the context of the situation.

Nah! Unlike Jackson, Fredo was smart.

Always found that part interesting when Fredo says, "I'm smaaaaht"

John Cazale, the actor who played Fredo was born in Revere and grew up in Winchester, MA.

Looks like he forgot the Corleone's were New Yorkers..... :p

If that’s what you call that. In the fourth quarter, he got intercepted for basically a pick 6. One drive 69/75 yards were on a reception by Kelce where the defender fell down and he was open by ten yards. In overtime 71/75 yards were on two huge YAC plays with Kelce. Mahomes was as terrible as he’s been most of the season except for a few really flukey plays. Even his deep pass to Hill was badly underthrown.

I mostly agree. I think going for it on 4th and goal inside the 5 is usually the right decision, especially with a guy like Herbert.

The one before halftime, not so sure because Chiefs field position in the event of a miss was irrelevant, and it just seemed like the Chiefs were in the right defense knowing a quick pass was coming.

I didn’t like the call to go for it instead of a 45 yard field goal, though. Even if you covert, you’re still not likely to get a TD there.

Overall though, looking at near goal line, they would have had 12 points with four field goals. They instead got 7 plus however you connect the fumble/Mahomes INT/TD to that decision. Seems like something in the 12 point range.

Always found that part interesting when Fredo says, "I'm smaaaaht"

John Cazale, the actor who played Fredo was born in Revere and grew up in Winchester, MA.

Looks like he forgot the Corleone's were New Yorkers..... :p

Actually, this is a testament to Cazale's acting. The Corleone is in the Southie part of Sicily.

I mostly agree. I think going for it on 4th and goal inside the 5 is usually the right decision, especially with a guy like Herbert.

The one before halftime, not so sure because Chiefs field position in the event of a miss was irrelevant, and it just seemed like the Chiefs were in the right defense knowing a quick pass was coming.

I didn’t like the call to go for it instead of a 45 yard field goal, though. Even if you covert, you’re still not likely to get a TD there.

Overall though, looking at near goal line, they would have had 12 points with four field goals. They instead got 7 plus however you connect the fumble/Mahomes INT/TD to that decision. Seems like something in the 12 point range.
The pass to TE that knocked himself out was a completed pass and a TD if not for fluke drop at the end. That alone changes entire conversation.

I think this will be the way games are played with these young coaches going forward. No coincidence dinosaurs like Bill, BA and Zimmer are at the bottom in going for it on 4th down.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back