PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's with all these major TV networks being dropped from cable and satellite companies

What channels come with basic cable with Comcast? If it's just the local channels you're better off going OTA and using that extra 5 or 10 bucks saved towards say the monthly fee for a Tivo or any other OTA DVR that requires a small monthly fee for extended guide service.

I was OTA my entire life living outside Boston. Got all the stations including HDTV broadcasts free. Moved to NH last decade and could maybe get WMUR OTA so I had to go to the dark side and pay Comca$t. They now have encrypted everything so you need their boxes. OTA is for cities & suburbs.

That's true. It's the same up here in Canada.

So I take it the Cable companies in the US are no longer mandated to have local channels "in the clear" anymore? What's up with that?

I don't know what you're on about either.

First it's about how the NFL is gouging people with their exclusive contracts

I never posted about the NFL gouging people, so the issue here may just be (or may not) that you merged two different posters in your mind. Either way, there's no sense discussing this when we seem to be on different tracks. Enjoy your weekend.

I was OTA my entire life living outside Boston. Got all the stations including HDTV broadcasts free. Moved to NH last decade and could maybe get WMUR OTA so I had to go to the dark side and pay Comca$t. They now have encrypted everything so you need their boxes. OTA is for cities & suburbs.
Curious where in New Hampshire you hail from. Have you checked TVFool.com?

That's true. It's the same up here in Canada.

So I take it the Cable companies in the US are no longer mandated to have local channels "in the clear" anymore? What's up with that?
Big Entertainment owns the US Congress. Our copyright laws are oppressive. Because of this, Congress appointed the Librarian of Congress to maintain a list of Fair Use Exemptions. He reviews this list every three years add (LOL) and removing exemptions as he sees fit. About two years ago the FCC allowed the cable companies to encrypt at will and the LoC removed the Fair Use Exemption for format shifting legally purchased media.

Curious where in New Hampshire you hail from. Have you checked TVFool.com?

Yes.
Great site.
I am in a dead zone for TV and cellphone reception.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back