PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What you expect/want in the first round

I’ve been beating the drum since the 2021 season about the need for a major upgrade at OT. I wanted to throw up when they extended POS Wynn; the guy clearly doesn’t love football, I knew his injuries this year were all BS.

In reference to the draft, what I hope is that they don’t hang their hopes on another relatively short LT like him. That means no Skoronski or B. Jones for me. I also don’t want to see them reach again in the first round, or drop back and miss superior talent. For me, that means if Paris Johnson or Harrison isn’t there at 14, I’d be happy if they were available to see the Pats pick Smith or Ringo at CB or Addison or Johnston at WR, but would want to see two of Bergeron, D. Jones, Freeland, Duncan, or Mauch from the next 2 or 3 picks.

This of course guarantees that none of those guys will become Patriots <pretend the bricks emoji was still available and inserted here>

in this spirit I offer the following:

View attachment 49057
Zay Flowers plays in our backyard no excuse not to Scout or Draft him.

What do I expect? non-skill player in first round; player that cannot score touchdowns. And I cannot wait for the Belichick bobos to defend the pick and to die on that hill - just like last year when they defended to the death the trade down, the drafting of Cole Strange and then Tyquan Twenty Two Catches Thornton...two jags who contributed very little to a club that needed immediate contributions from top picks

My first choice is best available OT what is crucial if we expect Mac's development.
WR or CB sounds reasonable but personally I would pick a LB because I doubt McMillan or Wilson will provide us consistency at this position. Bentley is not a star as well.

It seems like there will be some options, both in terms of outright need and what would be a nice luxury. Obviously a left tackle is a glaring need, however there seems to be no outright excellent LT's this year. Potentially a good thing as a high end one would go in the top ten. There should be ample choice for a quality outside man corner which obviously is a premier position. In terms of luxury JSN should be there. Best slot prospect in a while and would add some much needed playmaking ability. Personally, if drafting that high I want an impact position like corner or receiver. Target the linemen a bit further down as this draft isn't loaded at the position.

All I know is I’ll watch the first 10 picks and then go to sleep. I know the Pats won’t be making a pick at #14, so I’ll find out the morning after the draft who/if they selected someone in round 1.

I still think it's Russey. He didn't play because Andrews played 14 games and Ferentz was the backup. I think 2023 is a good opportunity to be the backup with Ferentz no longer on the team.

You need 2 of them. Bring in a guy like Forsyth or Stromberg and let them go at it with Russey to see who takes which back-up roles.

after watching this years games I'd like to take a Zebra in the first, some that gives no-calls to you and just looks the otherway when your OL is holding, who is the best prospect this year?

Every draft seems to only have a dozen + bonafide premium picks.

Last year the premium picks were all gone by 17, and you started seeing question marks like Trevor Penning or Kaiir Elam drafted.

This year I see 14 top players, unless there's a combine surprise.

Bryce Young
Will Levis
CJ Stroud
A Richardson
Jalen Carter
W Anderson
B Bresee
C Gonzalez
D Witherspoon
Paris Johnson
P Skoronski
Tyree Wilson
Myles Murphy
Quentin Johnston

There are several players just outside this top 14 who might end up going earlier if they prove out at the combine:

Broderick Jones
Joey Porter Jr.
Jordan Addison
Brian Branch
Michael Mayer

At 14, the Patriots look primed to pick up a tackle like Johnson or Skoronski, a CB like Gonzalez or Witherspoon, a WR like Johnston, or a DL like Wilson, Bresee or Murphy.

I would not reach for a guy like Broderick Jones if we miss out on Skoronski or Johnson at tackle. I'd always take BPA at #14 unless it's a QB.

LT in the first round by a country mile.

WR1 is a huge need as well, but does anyone honestly still have faith in BB to pick the right WR?

We took Thornton at #50 this year, he of the 247 yards and 2 TDs.
Meawhile the Steelers just one pick later #51 get an NFL-ready wideout in George Pickens 6'3 201 lbs, 801 yards and 4 TDs in his rookie season.
He could have come in quite helpful for the offense!

Twig vs Stud. Patriots WR drafting woes continue:
1242526060.0.jpg

twblvj1ccsv8nnydqb6h
49 other teams brain trusts also passed on Pickens..

Yep that's why I hope our next OC have a say in the Draft.

Could you show me a time when the OC didn't have a say in the draft? Because it was clear that BB sided with McDaniels opinion more than the Scouts and McDaniels continued to be wrong. Remember that the Scouts/Daboll didn't want Chad Jackson. They didn't want Maroney. We've not had any info as to whether McDaniels made the pick of Harry.

What we DO know is that the team has added the likes of Harris and Stevenson. With a proper OC who understands how to use players, I think we'll see Thornton perform significantly better provided he puts in the off-season work.

If the Pats add an OT prior to the draft, then I think that opens them up to taking any position or possibly trading back.
OT, CB, FS, MLB, WR, TE, DL, OC/OG That's the order of priority IMHO..

You fix the O-line, you fix this offense now that they have an OC who is better than Patricia.

49 other teams brain trusts also passed on Pickens..
49ers 'braint trust' took Trey Lance #3 overall but instead drafted at pick #262 Brock Purdy who has turned out to be a way BETTER player! I don't have that much trust in their draft evaluations.

It's obvious to anyone with eyes that Pickens is a physical stud and twiggy Thornton... well he's thin as a stick.

what-are-your-thoughts-about-george-pickens-so-far-i-think-v0-m6ahfl8u6ws91.jpg

usa_today_18856918.jpg

I get that we're hoping Thornton won't turn into another bust like N'Keal Harry, but draft grades on this pick weren't great. Thornton was considered a risky pick.

Last edited:
49ers 'braint trust' took Trey Lance #3 overall but instead drafted at pick #262 Brock Purdy who has turned out to be a way BETTER player! I don't have that much trust in their draft evaluations.

It's obvious to anyone with eyes that Pickens is a physical stud and twiggy Thornton... well he's thin as a stick.

what-are-your-thoughts-about-george-pickens-so-far-i-think-v0-m6ahfl8u6ws91.jpg

usa_today_18856918.jpg

I get that we're hoping Thornton won't turn into another bust like N'Keal Harry, but draft grades on this pick weren't great. Thornton was considered a risky pick.

Yes Thornton is a risk. So is Pickens, that is why teams had Pickens off their boards. We will see. One season does not make a career. Thornton showed flashes but needs to be consistent.

Yes Thornton is a risk. So is Pickens, that is why teams had Pickens off their boards. We will see. One season does not make a career. Thornton showed flashes but needs to be consistent.

He also needs a competent, consistent and well coached offense..

He also needs a competent, consistent and well coached offense..
That's probably the one hope/excuse that's reasonable.

This entire past season was a failure in large part because of Matt Patricia and Joe Judge's incompetence.

Granted, Thornton didn't look good, at times he was downright invisible, but neither did anyone else on offense.

So ok, I'm willing to give them a mulligan for this year, but next season is really the breaking point for Mac Jones, Tyquan Thornton and everyone else on that offense. Time to prove that you can play in the pros and play at a high level.

If I were the Patriots, I'd still look at acquiring another WR or two. We don't have a #1 WR and it's looking likely that we might lose Jakobi Meyers to free agency.

If the following players are available at 14, what do you do? Here’s a hypothetical list: LT Broderick Jones, Georgia; WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State; and, CB Joey Porter Jr., Penn State.

This would be agonizing. I think the best pro is JSN. Brian Hartline says he’s the best WR he’s had.

But LT is a need crying out from the rooftops. We need to increase the Joneses. Dah!

But the player who may fit in best right away at another position of need is Porter.

Jeez, what would you do? It’s a conundrum.

If the following players are available at 14, what do you do? Here’s a hypothetical list: LT Broderick Jones, Georgia; WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State; and, CB Joey Porter Jr., Penn State.

This would be agonizing. I think the best pro is JSN. Brian Hartline says he’s the best WR he’s had.

But LT is a need crying out from the rooftops. We need to increase the Joneses. Dah!

But the player who may fit in best right away at another position of need is Porter.

Jeez, what would you do? It’s a conundrum.
that depends on what you have done in FA prior to the Draft as you might solve some problems there and than one or two might be already no extreme need so you go with the third one, however based on the current state LT is the absolut highest need

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back