PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What position should the Pats take with their next [Day 2, #34] pick?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position should the Pats take with their next pick (now 34)?

• WR

Votes: 56 48.3%
  • OT

Votes: 38 32.8%
  • DB

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm a huge fan of going BPA. The Center discussion in this thread is a perfect example. I get that we have David Andrews but there's a good chance that this time next year he's retired and we're all questioning whether Jake Andrews is NFL starter quality or just depth and have Center high on our list of team needs/question marks. The roster changes so quickly in the NFL. These guys come in and sign 4 year contracts and by the end of that deal pretty much the entire roster will be different.

Look no further than our own situation. In about the span of a rookie contract we went from super bowl champion to picking 3rd. The roster picture changes so quickly in the NFL. The absolute best thing we can do for our franchise with the #34 pick would be to draft an all pro, regardless of position.

I'm a huge fan of going BPA. The Center discussion in this thread is a perfect example. I get that we have David Andrews but there's a good chance that this time next year he's retired and we're all questioning whether Jake Andrews is NFL starter quality or just depth and have Center high on our list of team needs/question marks. The roster changes so quickly in the NFL. These guys come in and sign 4 year contracts and by the end of that deal pretty much the entire roster will be different.

Look no further than our own situation. In about the span of a rookie contract we went from super bowl champion to picking 3rd. The roster picture changes so quickly in the NFL. The absolute best thing we can do for our franchise with the #34 pick would be to draft an all pro, regardless of position.
The BPA's are CB and NT.

I believe the center is under valued. He will be all-pro,

It should be adonai mitchell or the CB. Jonathan Jones is also aging, it might be great to have another stud to flank gonzo on other end.

The BPA's are CB and NT.

I believe the center is under valued. He will be all-pro,
In this case, BPA also matches Need for us at 2 positions, DB and WR, which is why you're forced to do something that is both BPA/Need. The 5 tackles will all require a lot of development, and I suspect 2 of them will not make it at all. So either you trade back into the 2nd round after taking a premium player up top, or you take tackle projects later.

Why would there be discussions about Jake Andrews leading up to the draft?

He started one game last year and he played really well.

People keep talking about how this team has needs all over the field and we're going to waste a premium pick on positions that have the following players who could play there? David Andrews, Sidy Sow, Jake Andrews, Mike Onwenu, Antonio Mafi, Cole Strange? We already have a bunch of guys for these positions.
so, we shouldn't take a 10 year starter because we have Jake Andrews? That is losing football.

It would be like re-upping Bryant at $5M-$8M because he had few good games/

The article is well articulated though.
Written by AI.

Buffalo guaranteed to draft AD Mitchell at the top of the second.

so, we shouldn't take a 10 year starter because we have Jake Andrews? That is losing football.

It would be like re-upping Bryant at $5M-$8M because he had few good games/
No, it's not. The position is stocked.

You have needs elsewhere.

In this case, BPA also matches Need for us at 2 positions, DB and WR, which is why you're forced to do something that is both BPA/Need. The 5 tackles will all require a lot of development, and I suspect 2 of them will not make it at all. So either you trade back into the 2nd round after taking a premium player up top, or you take tackle projects later.
you are leaving out the DT

Patrick Paul dominated at the Senior Bowl. Gives me Broderick Jones vibes. The article at nfl.com under values his run blocking ability

Two year team captain. Handsome dude. Love those Houston guys like Tank Dell and Marcus Jones. Tenacious and plays with a mean streak. Absolutely cannot pass on this guy. Just some refinement and added lower body strength and he will be the franchise LT. People in redrafts will put him solidly in the first round. Way above Tyler Guyton taken 28.

I've heard mentioned many times that Strange would be better at center.

From what I've read on Cooper Dejean, not sure if he's a CB or a FS here. Seems like his weaknesses at CB are that he hasn't played much press man and he's more comfortable facing the QB than with his back turned. I feel we've been at our best defensively when we can play cover 1 man. In that scheme, feels like he might translate better int he Devin McCourty FS role.

I've heard mentioned many times that Strange would be better at center.
I read that at the draft and I've always been intrigued by it. Strange to C next year to replace Andrews (I assume retirement). Sidy Sow back to college position of LG. Onwenu back inside to RG where he can be an actual all pro vs. just a good player like he is at RT. Jake Andrews can be a top reserve, which is always welcome. Would be an interesting long-term alignment maybe.

But, even with that... we're making a leap to project Strange at C. And even if he did make that leap, he might just be good vs. great and someone we wouldn't want to re-sign. He only has 2 years left on his deal. If someone is pounding the table in our draft room with strong conviction that Powers-Johnson is a future all pro, unless someone is doing that for another player at a different position too, then my guess is he's the best pick.

From what I've read on Cooper Dejean, not sure if he's a CB or a FS here. Seems like his weaknesses at CB are that he hasn't played much press man and he's more comfortable facing the QB than with his back turned. I feel we've been at our best defensively when we can play cover 1 man. In that scheme, feels like he might translate better int he Devin McCourty FS role.
then he should be picked without question

then he should be picked without question
Yeah if he's a McCourty type FS then run in with the pick haha. I know the defense was good statistically but still feels like something is missing with that side of the ball. There's more of a get by mostly unscathed mindset than there is a real dominance and make things happen factor. I think the lack of a good deep FS is a driving cause of that because it limits our creativity underneath. I value that position very, very highly.

But there's a lot of talk of team need here and positional value, so just bringing it up because most here perceive CB as more important/bigger need/valuable position than FS so forecasting what spot he'd play here is important.

TJ Tampa, a CB from Iowa State, is a first round talent. He’s still left. Gonzo and he would make a formidable tandem.

Unless the Pats LOVE someone they should trade down a few (3 or 5) spots. There’s a few similar talent players available so get an extra pick in the fourth and still pick one of several good players still on the board.

Cooper DeJean will be a bust. Stuff hips. Elite receivers will embarrass him. Straight line speed is not enough.

Me in the Mancave contemplating LT Patrick Paul, CB TJ Tampa, or WR McConkey for 34.

I wonder, in terms of team building, whether it's better to spread around your first-round stud talent. If we take a CB who ends being great, we won't be able to pay him and Gonzo. Granted, that's not a bad scenario, but it seems like in the ideal world you's spend that stud pick in a place where the talent is lacking, WR, OT, or Free safety. Justa thought. The way players are paid now, you know that you can only have a handful of stars , so you gotta spread 'em out.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back