PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What position(s) will BB address before the trade deadline?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position(s) will BB address before the trade deadline? [Choose one OR two.]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that are players who would be roster upgrades to Grissom.

Grissom has been a core special teamer for the past three seasons, averaging about 21 ST snaps per game active (typically, all four units). His absence for the past four games (ankle injury) has likely had at least some negative impact on recent ST performance, and it's certainly increased the number of ST snaps that some starting position players have been taking lately.

Patrick Peterson. Nuff said! :)

Not trade but Obi he was a big binkie by alot of us.
I'm willing to see what a 6ft 4 corner safety hyrbid could do.
Especially on those last second hailmarys.

Amazing physical specimen but can't get on the field because of injury. Hope he's the next Dion Lewis if he signs for us.

If he can even get on the field, the question is how long can he remain on it before going down again? We need to let Guerrero work with him.

A coverage linebacker that can handle the run. But those are elite linebackers. So I'd say another decent interior d-lineman that can hold up against the run.

If you have 2 shutdown corners, the burden is not on the DL. Vice versa as well.

Given that, they really need a LB that can keep up with TE/RBs AND one stud pass rusher.

If he can even get on the field, the question is how long can he remain on it before going down again? We need to let Guerrero work with him.

Yeah, and in addition, he should learn from Ihedigbo. He goes down every 3rd quarter but comes back the next week. :D

There seems to be less action by the Patriots than other years. Sometimes there
is constant change on the practice squad.

Although he's not exactly a "stud" pass rusher, it seems to me that a lot of fans are unaware that John Simon is even on the roster.

I still can't figure out why he was a free agent for over 3 weeks.

There seems to be less action by the Patriots than other years. Sometimes there
is constant change on the practice squad.

The most recent PSquad transactions were the 8th & 9th of this month:
-- Webb & Valentine waived.
+++ Munson (LB), Herron (DT) and Farrow signed (there had been an open spot for about 10 days after Corey Coleman was waived).

There are often lulls in turnover, but usually later in the season.

I'm guessing that they're happy with this group for the scout team and deep emergency reserve.

It would be nice to find a reliable source for the Practice Player of the Week awards (black jerseys) that the team typically provides after every win. The PS players who appear on those lists regularly often have some staying power.

PatsPulpit used to post those lists regularly, but I've seen only the lists for week-1 and this past win (CHI). Patriots.com doesn't even provide that info, or I haven't been able to find it, at least. I emailed both and haven't received any response. I may try Reiss and Kyed next.

Anyway, the most recent list included Ferentz, Farrow and Herron. Week-1 included Ferentz and Harris.

I still can't figure out why he was a free agent for over 3 weeks.

Unless it had something to do with his shoulder, IDK either. After performing very well for 9 games as a rotational 3-4 OLB, the Colts put him on IR at the beginning of last December for a should injury, so maybe it's a chronic thing with him? OTOH, the Colts switched from the 3-4 to a 4-3 this season, and let some good 3-4 players go (e.g., Hankins in March).

League-wide, the balanced has shifted significantly from a majority of 3-4 defenses to a majority of teams fielding variations on the 4-3. So there have been a lot of veteran 3-4 type players looking for work for extended periods.

For example, it was the Browns' switch to the 4-3 that made Shelton expendable, and it appears that the Cards shift to a 4-3 may have left Bucannon without a spot in their lineup.

While the Pats are superficially a "4-3", they use a sometimes complicated mix of 3-man and 4-man fronts that incorporate both 2-gap and 1-gap principles, sometimes in the same front.

Back in 2009-2010, BB began moving away from a more or less pure 3-4 because, as he himself said, quality players suitable for a 3-4 were become more difficult to acquire as more and more teams had shifted to a 3-4 between about 2005 and 2007. One might think that there's a surplus of 3-4 types to be had now, but I don't think that many colleges are using it, so a shift back to the 3-4 probably isn't in the Pats future.

Grissom has been a core special teamer for the past three seasons, averaging about 21 ST snaps per game active (typically, all four units). His absence for the past four games (ankle injury) has likely had at least some negative impact on recent ST performance, and it's certainly increased the number of ST snaps that some starting position players have been taking lately.

True. But he didn't look that good on STs this year for whatever the reason - not in preseason not in regular season. It was the second part of last season that he really looked good there. And ST play actually improved over the last couple of weeks . the cost here of course is having plenty starters involved.

I wouldn't mind if he'd take his place on the hidden roster at this point if roster spot is needed, but he'd probably had to be waived/injured so that complicates the possible return.. Still he's the first one Id let go at this point esp. with Simon on board.

True. But he didn't look that good on STs this year for whatever the reason - not in preseason not in regular season. It was the second part of last season that he really looked good there. And ST play actually improved over the last couple of weeks . the cost here of course is having plenty starters involved.

I wouldn't mind if he'd take his place on the hidden roster at this point if roster spot is needed, but he'd probably had to be waived/injured so that complicates the possible return.. Still he's the first one Id let go at this point esp. with Simon on board.

Rowe missed 8 of 16 regular season games last year to his chronic groin injury, and has already missed 3 of 7 this year (soon to be 4 of 8) to the same issue. When he has played, he's arguably been the Pats 4th-best CB. If Jackson can lose his flag magnetism, that might drop Rowe to #5. Then there's Dawson's return. And, in 2 & 1/2 seasons with the Pats, Rowe has contributed 20 total snaps on ST - less than Grissom's per-game average.

At this point, Rowe to IR would seem to me like the best move to open a roster spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes