PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What ONE Patriot UFA would you most like to see retained?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which one UFA would you most like to see resigned by the Pats?

• Nate Solder

Votes: 40 56.3%
  • Dion Lewis

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Malcolm Butler

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Rex Burkhead

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Danny Amendola

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • Matthew Slater

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LaAdrian Waddle

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably Solder because of how critical that position is. It's tough because Dion Lewis is a top-5 running back in the NFL and one of the most fun players to watch in the league, and Matt Slater is a Hall of Fame-caliber special teamer. Solder's merely a league average starting left tackle but the dropoff from average to bad there can have a severe impact, whereas dropping off from great to average at running back or special teams doesn't have that same impact.

The wild card is whether they've seen enough from Waddle and/or Fleming to think one or both would be worth re-signing. You can probably get both cheaper than just re-signing Solder and, if they think either is an adequate replacement, you get the same level of play and more depth for less money.

I'm going to say Dion Danny and Solder.
Martellus Bennet retires
Dwayne Allen cut
Branch gone retired?
Burkhead gone
Gilleslie gone
Mcclein back he's cheap
Marquis Flowers resigned
2 linebackers signed in free agency.
Hightower asked to restructure and with his injury history and leery teams out there he agrees.
Dion Lewis 3 year contact 15.5 Million 7 Million guaranteed?
Danny Admendola 2 years at 5.5 Million total
Marquis Flowers 3 years at 10.5 Million 4 mill guaranteed
Solder 3 years 34 Million 12 Million guaranteed.
Pats sign 2 additional linebackers in free agency.
We stand Pat at cornerback with The Jones twins coming back.
Stand Pat at defensive tackle with Valentine coming back
Patriots kick the tires on Landry but he's to expensive.
Patriots sign runningback Hill as a change of pace big back 2 years 6.5 Million Belichick likes taking the talent Lewis misuses.

Patriots head into the draft needing a Future QB for the future
LB depth and talent
DL if their are any players better
Oline to replace Flemming and Waddle who get starting gigs and salary elsewhere.

Patriots see this as a good year to trade up into the draft and trade for a defensive playmaker on the line in Veta. Belichick can't help himself when he sees him sitting there at 11.
Belichick trades back up into the draft and drafts QB Jackson
With remaining picks in later rounds Patriots draft pass rushers O line and 2 late round tight ends.

Thoughts?

I voted Solder. I think he'd be the hardest to replace on the open market or draft.

I think you are 100% right. I picked Dola, but really want everybody on the list back, especially Lewis, Solder, Slater,.

I’m not even sure what the plan would be if Solder isn’t back. There aren’t any other worthwhile free agents, and I don’t see anybody available at 31 that I’d trust right away.

I voted Solder. I think he'd be the hardest to replace on the open market or draft.
I voted Lewis purely due to his performance, but I’d agree that Solder would be the hardest to replace.

Quality LT’s are a crown jewel in today’s NFL.

I voted Amendola but agree with the solder thing. I’d like all of them back but it’s not to be

Given the draft depth and FA market at each position, I would say in order:

1. Solder
  2. Amendola
  3. Lewis

Last edited:
Lewis, because he's the best overall player

Solder plays a much harder to fill position, but he is upgradable

Some crazy team will offer Lewis a ton of money. Not that I think he’s not worth a lot because he is. He’s not going to be back I don’t think. Never know, maybe B.B. will match it but how likely it is is another matter

I'm going to say Dion Danny and Solder.
Martellus Bennet retires
Dwayne Allen cut
Branch gone retired?
Burkhead gone
Gilleslie gone
Mcclein back he's cheap
Marquis Flowers resigned
2 linebackers signed in free agency.
Hightower asked to restructure and with his injury history and leery teams out there he agrees.
Dion Lewis 3 year contact 15.5 Million 7 Million guaranteed?
Danny Admendola 2 years at 5.5 Million total
Marquis Flowers 3 years at 10.5 Million 4 mill guaranteed
Solder 3 years 34 Million 12 Million guaranteed.
Pats sign 2 additional linebackers in free agency.
We stand Pat at cornerback with The Jones twins coming back.
Stand Pat at defensive tackle with Valentine coming back
Patriots kick the tires on Landry but he's to expensive.
Patriots sign runningback Hill as a change of pace big back 2 years 6.5 Million Belichick likes taking the talent Lewis misuses.

Patriots head into the draft needing a Future QB for the future
LB depth and talent
DL if their are any players better
Oline to replace Flemming and Waddle who get starting gigs and salary elsewhere.

Patriots see this as a good year to trade up into the draft and trade for a defensive playmaker on the line in Veta. Belichick can't help himself when he sees him sitting there at 11.
Belichick trades back up into the draft and drafts QB Jackson
With remaining picks in later rounds Patriots draft pass rushers O line and 2 late round tight ends.

Thoughts?

Sir. Van Noy got 12.7m. IMO Flowers will never come close to that.
I like Dion a lot but if you can bring Burk for 60-70% of that cash i would save the money and keep my comp pick. They paid White a lot of money. So use the man. 3 RB's is more than enough plus a rookie. Of course i would like to keep Lewis. But if the money is not right...
The rest of your projections are market oportunities. If you extend both Waddle and Fleming for ''cheap'' and bring a CB like Amerson, would you extend Solder or sign all this 3 guys?
If you cut both Bennett and Allen you need at least 2 TE. They can address 5 holes via draft at least for now. I think all first 4 rounds picks are locks, so we need to see who is cheaper in FA.
We NOW have the following needs: a big RB, 2 LB, DE, SS, CB, T. If we cut Bennett and Allen, TE is a need too.

I don't think QB is a need because Brady is gonna play for another 3 years at least, but i would love to bring a prospect this year, so we would carry 3 QB and next year they cut Hoyer (I don't know his contract status) and use a lower pick on a QB

I think the right answer is Solder. LT is the harder position to replace and protecting TB12's blindside is too critical.

But my heart says Malcolm. I just don't want his story with us to end like that. I know this ship has sailed though.

For sheer entertainment I want D Lewis back. He's electric and more fun than a LT or CB.

Then I am left feeling like its insulting not to choose someone as clutch as Danny Playoffs. I guess it's not to choose him because I feel he's the most likely to be back.

It's probably Solder because of how critical that position is. It's tough because Dion Lewis is a top-5 running back in the NFL and one of the most fun players to watch in the league, and Matt Slater is a Hall of Fame-caliber special teamer. Solder's merely a league average starting left tackle but the dropoff from average to bad there can have a severe impact, whereas dropping off from great to average at running back or special teams doesn't have that same impact.

The wild card is whether they've seen enough from Waddle and/or Fleming to think one or both would be worth re-signing. You can probably get both cheaper than just re-signing Solder and, if they think either is an adequate replacement, you get the same level of play and more depth for less money.

Lewis is not a top 5 running back in the NFL.....not even close

If it wasn't for the personality clashes, Butler would be a close 2nd to Solder.

If it wasn't for the personality clashes, Butler would be a close 2nd to Solder.

He has been gone the moment he rejected the extension and we signed Gilmore last year. Even if he had an amazing SB and we win the game he would have played his last game for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes