PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the future for Jarrett Stidham?

The only way I see Stidham becoming a #1 (a slim possibility) is with another team. BB kept him on the roster for a reason (trade bait?). If the Pats can wrap up a playoff bye early, I could see BB showcasing Stidham the last game or two to hopefully improve his trade value.

Due to circumstances a player can get thrust into a situation (due to injury or something else) that they rise to. A couple of good showings by happenstance is, IMHO, the only chance for Stidham to get above a minimum contract after the Patriots. Otherwise the value proposition kicks in. He has been around the NFL for almost 3 years playing next to legends Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, and now the new rookie sensation QB. A team may see that/Stidham as a #3 minimum cost long shot that will give some experienced practice/scout team value. Otherwise he'll be on the periphery trying to catch on somewhere for a partial season minimum paycheck. That assumes Stidham wants to keep playing and also assumes he hopes to get that one fortuitous chance to shine for a few games that opens up the possibility of a better than minimum contract.

Regardless, don't feel too bad for Stidham. 2.5 million for 3 years (or 3.25m for 4 years) may not seem like much for the NFL but in the "real" world it's the kind of money that allows a twenty something to comfortably pursue almost any new professional endeavor he wants to (if his NFL career is over after this or next year). Also, I believe it is 3 (or 4?) years that gets him some guaranteed NFL retirement/annuity as well as medical insurance benefits. Ultimately riding the bench through a rookie contract in the NFL is still an incredible financial win.

Due to circumstances a player can get thrust into a situation (due to injury or something else) that they rise to. A couple of good showings by happenstance is, IMHO, the only chance for Stidham to get above a minimum contract after the Patriots. Otherwise the value proposition kicks in. He has been around the NFL for almost 3 years playing next to legends Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, and now the new rookie sensation QB. A team may see that/Stidham as a #3 minimum cost long shot that will give some experienced practice/scout team value. Otherwise he'll be on the periphery trying to catch on somewhere for a partial season minimum paycheck. That assumes Stidham wants to keep playing and also assumes he hopes to get that one fortuitous chance to shine for a few games that opens up the possibility of a better than minimum contract.

Regardless, don't feel too bad for Stidham. 2.5 million for 3 years (or 3.25m for 4 years) may not seem like much for the NFL but in the "real" world it's the kind of money that allows a twenty something to comfortably pursue almost any new professional endeavor he wants to (if his NFL career is over after this or next year). Also, I believe it is 3 (or 4?) years that gets him some guaranteed NFL retirement/annuity as well as medical insurance benefits. Ultimately riding the bench through a rookie contract in the NFL is still an incredible financial win.

It's been said that backup QB in the NFL is the best job in the world, as a combination of light workload, low stress, high degree of on the job safety, and compensation.

It's been said that backup QB in the NFL is the best job in the world, as a combination of light workload, low stress, high degree of on the job safety, and compensation.
Wouldn't being an offspring of an NFL owner be even better?

Fancy title
Elevated social circle
Minimal responsibility/ maximum perks...ie....premium parking spot, cheerleader oversight, etc
Big paycheck and inheritance rights
Access to premium liquor in owner's box
Game day booster seat

Wouldn't being an offspring of an NFL owner be even better?

Fancy title
Elevated social circle
Minimal responsibility/ maximum perks...ie....premium parking spot, cheerleader oversight, etc
Big paycheck and inheritance rights
Access to premium liquor in owner's box
Game day booster seat

:)
I suppose most of them manage to twist that into a vocation in their minds.
At one point in the 90's tech boom, working with people who inherited wealth was the fastest growing sector in psychology, because they had so much trouble with motivation and self worth. A lot of self harming and substance abuse. Giving a young person a ton of money is usually an act of parental malpractice, IMHO.

Out of the league after the Pats cut him before next season IMO.

The Man in Vietnam?

He's got the Ali photo, and said he was gone for a couple of years, which is what happened to Ali with his conscientious objector stance.

A wee bit too obscure, I guess?

He's got the Ali photo, and said he was gone for a couple of years, which is what happened to Ali with his conscientious objector stance.

A wee bit too obscure, I guess?
Ali was NOT a conscientious objector, those who claimed that could still serve in that capacity, Ali was a draft dodger who refused to serve.

Unfortunately, I've been living outside New England for some time, so I haven't had a chance to see much of Stidham's play.

That said, the fact that BB has kept him around despite selecting both Cam and Mac over him, will probably give him some cachet with other HC's and OC's,.

Belichick doesn't keep players around...especially someone who is backing up his starting QB...out of sentiment. So he must bring something to the party if only attitude and reliability...both in short supply sometimes in the NFL.

So, I imagine Jarrett will land on his feet as a backup in one or more places, if Josh and BB don't keep him around. If he's articulate and quick on his feet as a commentator, I also imagine he could land gigs in D1 media. In other words, I'm not going to lose any sleep over his ability to provide a nice life for himself and his family if he invests and spends wisely...something else in short supply among a lot of professional athletes.

To me he’s kind of like Josh Rosen. There’s some athletic talent there, but he doesn’t seem to be able to process quickly, make the right decisions, and deliver the ball exactly where it needs to be exactly when it needs to be there. Guys like him turn things around once in a while but more often they get replaced after a couple of years.

Stidham's future is on the Miami practice squad.

He organized those Patriots West Coast work outs early this offseason after the pats made those signings.

He's been around Brady, Bill, Hoyer...has had some live bullets. I believe the Patriots make it worth his while to stick around as a qb2 and extra set of eyes in the qb room.

Probably a similar trajectory to Danny Etling...the Etling Gun

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back