PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the future for Jarrett Stidham?

I'm not sure that we are discussing Stidham as a starting quarterback.

He could be out of the league in a year or two.
Correct. At this point. But... if he isn't "starting material" then he is hardly worth discussing. Doubly so since Hoyer supplanted him in 2020 when there was a need...

Correct. At this point. But... if he isn't "starting material" then he is hardly worth discussing. Doubly so since Hoyer supplanted him in 2020 when there was a need...
The patriots need a competent backup. I believe that too many fans are simply willing to give up on the season if our #1 QB in out for a couple of games. This has been the case for two decades.

We don't have the GOAT as QB. Our strength is elsewhere. This makes a competent #2 QB MORE necessary, since there is less difference in strength between #1 and #2.

The patriots need a competent backup. I believe that too many fans are simply willing to give up on the season if our #1 QB in out for a couple of games. This has been the case for two decades.

We don't have the GOAT as QB. Our strength is elsewhere. This makes a competent #2 QB MORE necessary, since there is less difference in strength between #1 and #2.
Sure, but do you have confidence in someone who was unable to beat our the 2020 version of Hoyer ? I thought Stidham would've been strong enough to start that game. I was willing to give him a "you don't have the pedigree to be the #1 after Brady so we going w Cam"m but c'm'on... that game... oof.

Stidham is adequate as a backup, unless the position is strictly seen as a future trading chip.
No team really expects their number 2 to perform as well as number 1. You adjust the game plan and hold on for the rollercoaster ride. Some teams are stuck with starters like that.

I tend to agree. However, it would be better if we could carry only two quarterbacks on the 53. I don't think that Belichick trusts Stidham in that role.

Is there a competitive team with a worse #2 QB than the patriots have?
What competitive team has a good #2?

Stidham is adequate as a backup, unless the position is strictly seen as a future trading chip.
No team really expects their number 2 to perform as well as number 1. You adjust the game plan and hold on for the rollercoaster ride. Some teams are stuck with starters like that.
I understand that you think that backups simply don't matter. Obviously, backups don't matter unless there are injuries. I suspect that, IF HE IS THE BACKUP, he will be among the very worst among competitive teams, and among the worst in the NFL.

I understand that position that when we lose because players are injured, we blame the bad luck of the injuries. That is only PART of the issue. If we lose in this circumstance, it is also because the backups aren't good enough.

I understand that you think that backups simply don't matter. Obviously, backups don't matter unless there are injuries. I suspect that, IF HE IS THE BACKUP, he will be among the very worst among competitive teams, and among the worst in the NFL.

I understand that position that when we lose because players are injured, we blame the bad luck of the injuries. That is only PART of the issue. If we lose in this circumstance, it is also because the backups aren't good enough.

Absolutely. I see it more as a supply/demand issue more than a settling for less or mismanagement.
If he can be cheaply upgraded (doubtful) or replaced with a UDFA that's okay too.

We have no idea about Mac's durability long term and at the moment Stidham feels like a bust. No one would expect us to draft a qb high and that might be the very reason why a sleeper may fall to us in this draft or an upcoming one in the next few years. People would be pissed if we spent a 2nd or 3rd on a qb but I like the insurance.

We have no idea about Mac's durability long term and at the moment Stidham feels like a bust. No one would expect us to draft a qb high and that might be the very reason why a sleeper may fall to us in this draft or an upcoming one in the next few years. People would be pissed if we spent a 2nd or 3rd on a qb but I like the insurance.

I'd be pretty confounded if they used any pick this year on a QB. We have too few and using one for a backup QB would be dumb. Which leads to the question; wouldn't this be the kind of year that collecting picks is intended for? A couple of extras would feel pretty good. We could get lucky with a UDFA QB but the top of this class doesn't impress.

Maybe Jarrett can catch on as a stacker at Stop-N-Shop? He's tall enough to get the top row lined up.

Maybe Jarrett can catch on as a stacker at Stop-N-Shop? He's tall enough to get the top row lined up.

Jarrett is a millionaire and his wife is a multi millionaire . Why work?

The writing was on the wall when he couldn’t unseat Cam last year.
If he was so bad why did Bill have him as the #2 QB?

Did he do something that put him in Bill's doghouse or just plain suck?
If you look at some of BB's moves in the 2020 offseason. Specifically why would he use the franchise tag on Thuney otherwise? Its pretty clear that in during the offseason BB considered Stidham to be a viable replacement.

Don't know what happened to him.
Exactly.

Remember that Ryan Mallett beat out Hoyer several years ago, so this can happen (of course, Mallett didn't last and Hoyer is back in NE).

Me too. I also have no problem with competition being brought in to push Mac a bit and I wouldnt put it past BB at all to do that. He did regress a bit in the last quarter of the season and he knows he has to get a lot better so there’s no downside to having him look over his shoulder a bit. Competition brings out the best in everyone.

Stid at this point is not viable competition. He had his shot and his flaws that made him a 4th round pick and not higher were on display for all to see. If Bill didn’t even bother to give him a look in the last 2 games of 2020 then the writing was already on the wall.

if that Tom Brady dude was a free agent I wouldn't mind keeping him on the speed dial if Mac goes down, using Hoyer or Stid just as a clipboard holder.

Stidham was just never good enough. Mac is the future now. I suspect we let Stidham run out his contract and that's about it.

Remember that Ryan Mallett beat out Hoyer several years ago, so this can happen (of course, Mallett didn't last and Hoyer is back in NE).
Hoyer is sort of the whack-a-mole of NFL backup quarterbacks.

if that Tom Brady dude was a free agent I wouldn't mind keeping him on the speed dial if Mac goes down, using Hoyer or Stid just as a clipboard holder.
Mac probably isn’t getting his job back if that scenario happens. Which it won't.

Last edited:
Nothing less than a first...or Bill's an idiot and he should fire himself as the GM on the spot!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back