PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the future for Jarrett Stidham?

The Gr8est

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Hi all, this may seem like a strange question, but I have been away for over two years and am trying to get back up to speed.

When the Pats drafted Stidham I remember the discussions and there seemed to be a lot of reasons to be optimistic about his future.

So, did he get his chance and blow it? Is there any chance that he could actually compete and take the job away from Jones?

BB had an established QB in Drew Bledsoe, who had a huge contract, but he didn't seem to have a problem moving to Tom Brady.

I read that he had some physical issues earlier in the year which set him back, but what is his future prognosis?

Has the ship sailed on Stidham in NE and the NFL?

Last edited:
Welcome back!

He certainly didn’t run away with the opportunity that he had here. I suspect he’ll finish out his contract here as a back up and bounce around the league trying to find his place. He’s talented; hopefully he succeeds.

Hi all, this may seem like a strange question, but I have been away for over two years and am trying to get back up to speed.

When the Pats drafted Stidham I remember the discussions and there seemed to be a lot of reasons to be optimistic about his future?

So, did he get his chance and blow it? Is there any chance that he could actually compete and take the job away from Jones?

BB had an established QB in Drew Bledsoe, who had a huge contract, but he didn't seem to have a problem moving to Tom Brady.

I read that he had some physical issues earlier in the year which set him back, but what is his future prognosis?

Has the ship sailed on Stidham in NE and the NFL?
That's a really good question.

I gotta think he'll be #2 QB next year here unless he requests to be released/traded so he has a chance to start somewhere else.

Mac back up imho

He might be able to get on SEC Game Day every Saturday for the SEC Network. He has no future in the league.

His future is most likely to be on someone's practice squad after his rookie deal expires. He has shown nothing so far.

It is hard to say if Stidham has the competitive fire to succeed in the NFL. He didn’t show any emotions when he threw interceptions. There is big difference between him and Mac in that category.

811gTzfYGwL._AC_SY355_.jpg

My guess is backup but not for the Patriots.

Thanx for the replies.

So, if Jones was to get hurt, it doesn't sound like Stidham would be likely to give us even a Matt Cassell level performance.

he has one more year under contract here... will probably remain qb 3 and be inactive for most of the season... basically a cheap camp body and scout team qb...

as for beyond '22 ... i think he's out of the nfl... he might catch on as a practice squad player... and might make a roster if there has been a slew of injuries...

Well compensated clipboard holder for the next ten years. He’ll start a game for the Texans in 2026 and we’ll go “Oh yeah...”

Sometimes players windows are shorter than others It’s pretty much timing, location, which coincides with the talent already in place of what team your drafted to and staying healthy so when you do get your chance you can impress.

He had his opportunity, although short due to injury. Couple of pick sixes really doesnt help your case and then having a ringer drafted that has made the case for early greatness.

We’ll see here in the near future if he has a job as a backup here or if he has to test the waters elsewhere.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back