PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is BB's biggest mistake as head coach/GM of Patriots?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is BB's single biggest mistake as Patriot's Head Coach/GM?

• Total voters
This thread is about Bill, not Brady.

Mods if your are being unbiased then please remove anyone from this thread, NewEraMAc, who keeps trying to derail this thread.

Back on topic.

Bill as a GM, Brady and no doubt it's his biggest regret. He didn't think Brady could stay elite into his mid 40s.

But to not let this be too negative I'll post his greatest GM move as well.

Trading for Wes Welker. He gave Welker a big contract, plus a 2nd Rd pick and 7th Rd pick.

Drafting Brady was luck, Randy Moss was a 4th Rd pick and Moss restructured so it was very low risk.

Welker was a high pick and big contract. That was a big risk, especially up to that point slot WRs were not considered very valuable.

That was a brilliant move.

Bill as a GM, Brady and no doubt it's his biggest regret. He didn't think Brady could stay elite into his mid 40s.

I too think it was his biggest misfire. However, I don't think BB himself would characterize letting Brady walk/shoving his ass out the door (whatever your particular viewpoint happens to be) as his biggest regret.

I'm sure his biggest regret would be somewheres along the line of letting that third special teamer go in 2006 or sumtin like that

I too think it was his biggest misfire. However, I don't think BB himself would characterize letting Brady walk/shoving his ass out the door (whatever your particular viewpoint happens to be) as his biggest regret.

I'm sure his biggest regret would be somewheres along the line of letting that third special teamer go in 2006 or sumtin like that
There are numerous factors in play:

1. Diva Brady and the energy spent trying to keep his ego in check. I am sure BB was burned out from that which is why there is no new contract and he's gone. Between the childish behaviors with him and Gronk on social media and the stupid and creepy Guerrero business, I am sure BB is thrilled to be away from it at this point. BB doesn't do drama. He's all business. His QB and offensive leader leading the way and enabling others to act like him (Butler, Dion Lewis, Amendola, Gronk), etc, was probably a drag.
2. A mid 40s QB at 25 million per year is a risk. Brady's one hit away from being done.
3. What BB was doing with JimmyG was the responsible thing to do. BB was trying to avoid what happened in 2019/2020 with pricier older players being near the end of their careers, with being fiscally responsible under the cap to transition away at any time. He was being responsible and developing another QB in case Brady did decide to retire.
4. Giselle. We know she has wanted him to retire for a while now because Diva Brady has publicly said so. If Brady just decides to retire out of the woodwork one day, BB doesn't want to be left holding the bag.

I think BB is thrilled to be working with Mac Jones and enjoying the process of molding another QB with no drama, ego or attitude just like when he started with Brady.

Brady's not in his prime anymore, so BB has it right. He's not going to pay more for an aging, past his prime QB. Brady's defenses need to win him games now. They almost lost to Dallas and that D is a question mark again, but they certainly turned it on late for him to bail him out of the 3 INTS in the title game vs GB.

No I would say one side is discussing reality and the other side...which is you, are trolling a board. I am thinking because basically you are a fan of another team that Brady has hurt....probably chiefs, so you come to the board and act like a pats fan so you can bash Brady while saying, but it has to be real I am a pats fan after all. I mean at this point, even trolls are like, ok I give up Brady is the best, so he must have really hurt you bad. It must have been devistating to the point you are embarrassing yourself on a pats board by trashing the best player this team ever had. I would say its pretty amazing, but its been done before, your act is not new. I mean you keep saying the wrong things like you get your years wrong, I have seen other posts where people keep correcting you. I am not sure how much homework you did before you got here, but you need to brush up. Patriots fans are pretty knowledgeable with years and things that have happened, so you stick out a bit.
I was at the first ever AFC title game in Foxborough and you were not. I have 2 aunts and uncles that have had seats since the late 70s. I am as diehard a fan as anyone else.

I am just not a fraud liar like you and others and I root for the team, not just 1 guy on the team. This isn't hard.

1. Diva Brady and the energy spent trying to keep his ego in check. I am sure BB was burned out from that which is why there is no new contract and he's gone. Between the childish behaviors with him and Gronk on social media and the stupid and creepy Guerrero business, I am sure BB is thrilled to be away from it at this point. BB doesn't do drama. He's all business. His QB and offensive leader leading the way and enabling others to act like him (Butler, Dion Lewis, Amendola, Gronk), etc, was probably a drag.
2. A mid 40s QB at 25 million per year is a risk. Brady's one hit away from being done.
3. What BB was doing with JimmyG was the responsible thing to do. BB was trying to avoid what happened in 2019/2020 with pricier older players being near the end of their careers, with being fiscally responsible under the cap to transition away at any time. He was being responsible and developing another QB in case Brady did decide to retire.
4. Giselle. We know she has wanted him to retire for a while now because Diva Brady has publicly said so. If Brady just decides to retire out of the woodwork one day, BB doesn't want to be left holding the bag.

I think BB is thrilled to be working with Mac Jones and enjoying the process of molding another QB with no drama, ego or attitude just like when he started with Brady.

Brady's not in his prime anymore, so BB has it right. He's not going to pay more for an aging, past his prime QB. Brady's defenses need to win him games now. They almost lost to Dallas and that D is a question mark again, but they certainly turned it on late for him to bail him out of the 3 INTS in the title game vs GB.

let me sum this up for you... how do I explain this succinctly? ... hmmm ... I dont rightly care.

Brady left / Bill kicked him out ... the why doesn't matter, least to me. he's gone. Nothing I can do about it. I was a Patriot fan before Brady got here, and I am one after he's gone onto greener pastures. Players come and go... its part of the NFL... My allegiance is to the team. Not to Tom Brady, especialy when he is wearing another teams jersey. But at the same time, I'm not going to **** on him because he left. He's earned the respect thats been afforded to him, many times over.

With that said, Go Pats!

These people (on both sides) are functionally insane.
I'm ecstatic that we had the GOAT HC and QB for so many wins. We were blessed.
I like them both but I prefer players over coaches, especially when we're talking GOATs.
I'm still a Pats fan first, but if we lost Bill instead of Brady and Gronk I'd be much happier.

1. Brady wanted to leave.
2. Butler likely crossed a proverbial line set by Belichick. Pats still should have won if Mason didn't get beat so badly in that last drive. Butler would have helped but that entire pass defense was getting torched.
3. Jimmy was going to be lost for nothing if he wasn't traded
4. Michel helped us win a SB
5. Chandler would have been lost for nothing if he wasn't traded

If I had to pick amongst these it would be not drafting Lamar. The Patriots with Lamar at QB, this defense and coaching would be a serious SB contender for the next decade.

This thread is about Bill, not Brady.

Mods if your are being unbiased then please remove anyone from this thread, NewEraMAc, who keeps trying to derail this thread.

Back on topic.

But to not let this be too negative I'll post his greatest GM move as well.

Trading for Wes Welker. He gave Welker a big contract, plus a 2nd Rd pick and 7th Rd pick.

Drafting Brady was luck, Randy Moss was a 4th Rd pick and Moss restructured so it was very low risk.

Welker was a high pick and big contract. That was a big risk, especially up to that point slot WRs were not considered very valuable.

That was a brilliant move.
Bill has done a lot of great things and makes few mistakes.

On the Welker move, they gave the Fins the extra pick to turn the tender offer into a trade.

I like the way Bill had a how-to-do-a-longer-half-time practice during SB week.

Apparently, his decision to defer the ball on most opening kickoffs must be the right one. Everyone does it now.

One of Bill's most positive traits is his attention to detail. He puts players on his scout team that look like their opponents that week. I'm not sure if that was his idea but it sounds like him.

The intentional safety in Denver in 2003.

The practices that led to the Butler pick in 2014.

2. Butler likely crossed a proverbial line set by Belichick. Pats still should have won if Mason didn't get beat so badly in that last drive. Butler would have helped but that entire pass defense was getting torched.

If I had to pick amongst these it would be not drafting Lamar. The Patriots with Lamar at QB, this defense and coaching would be a serious SB contender for the next decade.
I've said this to people in private but this wasn't a one thing with Butler. There were other incidents. Butler wasn't setting the world on fire and Bill knew he wasn't coming back.

I have no idea what would have happened if he played. I doubt the collective changes but the guy made a few big plays here in big games. Not to mention the ripple effect with Rowe who now is playing S.

I have an issue with your Jackson take.

He is a remarkable and UNIQUE talent, BUT if we had drafted him it would have required Bill to do what Baltimore did, design a completely different offense to fit those talents. That doesn't mean just X's and O's. that means getting a different set of players that are needed to complement that talent. A guy like James White wouldn't fit. Big FB's and TE's who can play in the backfield. In other words, an entire offensive rebuild and throw away an offense you have been building for 20 years.

Baltimore was desperate enough to do all that. Their offensive history was one of despair and futility anyway. They had nothing to lose. And to their credit they have built and offense that with a very good defense makes them a very competitive team. One I may add that hasn't won a playoff game yet with Jackson as the QB.

No, .on Jackson wasn't a bad decision. He simply wasn't a fit HERE. Like Mac Jones, he was lucky enough to get to a team where he WAS a good fit.

And as for Brady, this was NEVER about him being pushed out. This was ALL about him getting to a team that had the talent to contend for a championship. That wasn't going to happen here in 2020. Bill knew it as well as Tom. Tom was free to go and he made a SOUND business decision. Simple as that. At 42 he did not have the time to go through a rebuild, even if it was only for a year or 2

Remember he put his house up for sale in 2019, so this wasn't a sudden decision on his part. He saw what was coming and didn't want to be the one to deal with it. So all this drama that being put on this next game is just that media driven drama that we are all getting caught up with. Tom left and it was never about his relationship with Bill, and all about simple common sense. Because while everyone thinks the winning was "all about Tom", Brady knows that its all about the overall talent of the TEAM, and he went to a team that had the better talent, and then HE made them better.

I've said this to people in private but this wasn't a one thing with Butler. There were other incidents. Butler wasn't setting the world on fire and Bill knew he wasn't coming back.

I have no idea what would have happened if he played. I doubt the collective changes but the guy made a few big plays here in big games. Not to mention the ripple effect with Rowe who now is playing S.
not sure it would have changed anything either... but it would have been a big morale boost to a defensive backfield in disarray

Baltimore isn’t a legit playoff threat directly because of Lamar Jackson but it was a mistake by NE not to draft him?

I have an issue with your Jackson take.

He is a remarkable and UNIQUE talent, BUT if we had drafted him it would have required Bill to do what Baltimore did, design a completely different offense to fit those talents. That doesn't mean just X's and O's. that means getting a different set of players that are needed to complement that talent. A guy like James White wouldn't fit. Big FB's and TE's who can play in the backfield. In other words, an entire offensive rebuild and throw away an offense you have been building for 20 years.

Baltimore was desperate enough to do all that. Their offensive history was one of despair and futility anyway. They had nothing to lose. And to their credit they have built and offense that with a very good defense makes them a very competitive team. One I may add that hasn't won a playoff game yet with Jackson as the QB.

No, .on Jackson wasn't a bad decision. He simply wasn't a fit HERE. Like Mac Jones, he was lucky enough to get to a team where he WAS a good fit.

And as for Brady, this was NEVER about him being pushed out. This was ALL about him getting to a team that had the talent to contend for a championship. That wasn't going to happen here in 2020. Bill knew it as well as Tom. Tom was free to go and he made a SOUND business decision. Simple as that. At 42 he did not have the time to go through a rebuild, even if it was only for a year or 2

Remember he put his house up for sale in 2019, so this wasn't a sudden decision on his part. He saw what was coming and didn't want to be the one to deal with it. So all this drama that being put on this next game is just that media driven drama that we are all getting caught up with. Tom left and it was never about his relationship with Bill, and all about simple common sense. Because while everyone thinks the winning was "all about Tom", Brady knows that its all about the overall talent of the TEAM, and he went to a team that had the better talent, and then HE made them better.
This is a bit dramatic considering Lamar ran an EP variation in college. I get what you're saying but it's nearly as big a change as you're making it out to be.

Also Jackson won is 1-3 in the playoffs. I believe he got his first win faster than Manning, Stafford, Ryan and Rivers.

Last edited:
Lamar is 1-4, has completed 56% of his passes in the playoffs with a 63 QB Rating.... 4 TD's total with 7 turnovers. He's also been sacked 19 times.

This is during a period passing is easier than any time in history, the league is actively trying to promote offense.

Jackson can't pass accurately from the pocket against playoff D’s... he simply can't.

Lamar is 1-4, has completed 56% of his passes in the playoffs with a 63 QB Rating.... 4 TD's total with 7 turnovers. He's also been sacked 19 times.

This is during a period passing is easier than any time in history, the league is actively trying to promote offense.

Jackson can't pass accurately from the pocket against playoff D’s... he simply can't.
This.

You simply cannot win a SB in this day and age with a QB that can't sling it.

If he doesn't improve this aspect of his game he won't reach the ultimate goal. And it's doubtful he's just going to change in his 4th year. By this point he kind of is what he is. Which is a healthier version of RG3.

Joe Flacco, for all his faults, had an arm and was capable of accurate throws (2012).

I was at the first ever AFC title game in Foxborough and you were not. I have 2 aunts and uncles that have had seats since the late 70s. I am as diehard a fan as anyone else.

I am just not a fraud liar like you and others and I root for the team, not just 1 guy on the team. This isn't hard.
I didnt ask for your resume. You are a board troll. If I had not seen about 500 like you in the past, it might have worked. As I said you act is not even new.

So one of your reasons was, a hit could end him, which is the same for all QB's except one thing. Brady gets hurt less than all of them. When did he diva exactly? BB was burned out with what? Winning? Why does no player anywhere think as you do? Did you say Brady's defense need to win him games? So you just have not watched any football at all. They beat dallas because of Brady anyone else they lose. Other Qb's they lose. Bail him out in GB? Did you watch the game at all? You cannot be this stupid? This has to be an act.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back