PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is BB’s Mindset on this Season?

Regarding the fanbase on this board...There is a Patriots cheerleader cult, who are like the Branch Davidian and who believe BB is a semi deity.
I would never say these cultists are not "true fans" or that they should not be on the board because they treat BB like David Koresh.
However they have to present themselves as arbiters of what a "true fan is". For those who enumerate the many egregious mistakes BB has made and how he has f'ed up this team since Brady left...we desire to see change so the team will be competitive again.

I will always root for pats to win every game and will want to watch every one of their games over any other game. That will never change no matter how much BB has screwed up and tarnished his legacy since Brady left.
Yes he did tarnish his legacy a bit with the crazy stuff he has done over the past 4 years. Of course he is still a HOF coach and in top 5 probbaly of all time. But his failure to adapt and evolve post Brady has absolutely taken some of the shine off.

I am prepared for the Branch Belichick Davidian's to tell me again to "get off the board"...If I had a nickel every time a BB cult member told me to get off the board, I could buy the team from Kraft right now.
For those who like to offer up valid criticism...keep doing it..it is what makes this place interesting and not like North Korea.
Here’s an analogy for the board. The musical artists that you listen to, do you like every song or album they create? Of course not. Artists have bad albums that aren’t received well by the public or change their sound to appeal to the masses (sell out). Are you not a true fan of you don’t like everything they do?

What about an actor or director you like? Are you not a true fan of you don’t like every movie they do?

What about the fans that boo’d the Pats on Sunday? They bought tickets with their hard earned money just to troll them?

The complainers of “complainers” on here are a very small minority and you should just ignore them.

Last edited:
Could you elaborate?
It would nice to have a dynamic QB who is able to proficiently stress defenses both mentally and physically. Caleb is indeed dynamic and Maye is dynamic while also looking the part. Even someone like MPJ (Penix Jr) could suffice. While Nix has improved, he’ll be a 24 year old rookie and doesn’t necessarily have any special traits. McCarthy is solid, but besides his mobility, does nothing for me. I don’t believe Shedeur Sanders will declare until 2025, but he intrigues me; especially given his Patriot-like OL and bad defensive situation at Colorado. They need to improve in the trenches (OL/DL) & LB mightily. When they improve in those areas, they’ll compete.

Last edited:
It would nice to have a dynamic QB who is able to proficiently stress defenses both mentally and physically. Caleb is indeed dynamic and Maye is dynamic while also looking the part. Even someone like MPJ (Penix Jr) could suffice. While Nix has improved, he’ll be a 24 year old rookie and doesn’t necessarily have any special traits. McCarthy is solid, but besides his mobility, does nothing for me. I don’t believe Shedeur Sanders will declare until 2024, but he intrigues me; especially given his Patriot-like OL situation at Colorado.
I’d be curious to see your ranking of top 10 NFL QB prospects for 2024 draft.

He's the same arrogant guy who thinks he is smarter than everyone so he can sign mediocre jags at OL and WR and "coach them up"

It was his arrogance that believed coaching offense was so easy Patricia could do it learning on the job.

Sure he learned from the "list season". But decided "hey o'brien can just coach up these jags we don't need any talent" and now are having another lost season

How many seasons do we have to waste for him to learn.
This is pretty much it... same guy from 30 years ago, really.

Here’s an analogy for the board. The musical artists that you listen to, do you like every song or album they create?

Sorry. That's a terrible analogy. What you are saying is that fans should rewatch previous games from winning seasons and forget about the here and now.

Music is subjective. Football is objective. The difference between good and bad football is easily quantifiable.

I’m curious as to what’s going on in BB’s head this season.

In retrospect, despite the Patricia/Judge experiment, we were a better team last season.

I think BB was looking forward to the post-Brady rebuild and cementing his legacy and most fans were willing to give a few seasons to see it come to fruition.

Into the 4th season of the rebuild, the wheels have come off and Patriots Nation is suffering through the most embarrassing season since prior to the Parcell’s era. There was no steady improvement over 4 years. There was steady regression.

I literally cancelled my YouTubeTV subscription and I’m ready to put a paper bag over my head. I don’t watch the games anymore. It isn’t just about losing - it’s the lack of player development, terrible roster building, execution, undisciplined sloppy play, etc.

What is BB thinking right now?

Is he looking at the man in the mirror and committed to working his ass off to salvage the season?

Does he acknowledge that his system, philosophy, assemblage of coaches and players is inadequate in today’s NFL?

Does he think the system still works and it’s the inability of the players and coaches around him to execute and do their job?

Does he want to persevere and continue team building and coaching no matter what, because that is what he was born to do and he wants to work alongside his kids for as long as he can?

Does he feel he’s entitled to chase Shula’s record for as long as it takes?

Is he aware that his his legacy has been irreparably tarnished over what’s transpired over the last four years?

Thoughts?
Great post. IMO BB is a football historical figure. He knows every facet, nuisance of football and team building of course. I believe he just doesn't have the guys he always had around him in past seasons. From the front office people to coaches and of course players outside of Brady of course. He's had an immense talent drain over the last few seasons. He's taken on more responsibility and it's shown up! Questionable decisions bein made by him so on and so on. Your right last season compared to this we were a better team. BB has a right to leave on his own terms but at age 72, all the stress and energy it takes to run a team. Things in his personal life, at some point it all has to come to a head. As you have said we have regressed each of the past 4 seasons.. it's to the point now where I'm electing to do things around the house on Sundays rather than watch patriots football. Sad state we are in.

Great post. . As you have said we have regressed each of the past 4 seasons.. it's to the point now where I'm electing to do things around the house on Sundays rather than watch patriots football. Sad state we are in.

This is the essence of it. It doesn't make us lesser fans if we complain and critic Belichick.

We are thankful for Bills contributions, but doesn't mean we continue to be an unwatchable team for a decade because of 6 super bowl wins. Brady wasn't given that amount of leverage why should bill be. Better a year early than a year late has been bills moto.

I would much rather have us emulate the lions 2022 season rather than watching us get disrobed every week in the quest to get to playoffs.

Bill methods worked when we have veteran studs. Without them bill coaching and GM is useless. Everything is based on continuity and Brady, scar, Ernie and Josh were big part of it. Without them at age of 72, things take a toll.

Time to move on..

Great post. IMO BB is a football historical figure. He knows every facet, nuisance of football and team building of course. I believe he just doesn't have the guys he always had around him in past seasons. From the front office people to coaches and of course players outside of Brady of course. He's had an immense talent drain over the last few seasons. He's taken on more responsibility and it's shown up! Questionable decisions bein made by him so on and so on. Your right last season compared to this we were a better team. BB has a right to leave on his own terms but at age 72, all the stress and energy it takes to run a team. Things in his personal life, at some point it all has to come to a head. As you have said we have regressed each of the past 4 seasons.. it's to the point now where I'm electing to do things around the house on Sundays rather than watch patriots football. Sad state we are in.
There's this bizarre parallel for the GOATs who've both just gotten out of 16 year relationships. As most if not all of us have experienced, personal lives can spill over and greatly affect work lives. I have lots of patience for him but can understand everyone's calls to move on.

Sad and funny that it took a complete destruction of TB12's personal life (along with the requisite old age reason) for him to finally crash all the way down to 1 game under .500 for the season (but he still made the playoffs).

I think he expected the team was going to be ready and do well this season. Some bad luck and maybe a little doubt creeps in. Dallas magnifies the doubts, but he sticks with the plan. New Orleans means the plan ain't gonna work. Maybe a bit of shell-shock. The questions now are:
(A) Is there anything he can even do at this point?
(B) Does he have enough left in the tank to dig in and shift course?
(C) Is he at the point where he's just along for the ride?

What about an actor or director you like? Are you not a true fan of you don’t like every movie they do?
BB is edging towards John Wayne as Genghis Khan territory ...

2c011ffeae516ff3f6e43a18ebea26aa--genghis-khan-john-wayne.jpg

This is the essence of it. It doesn't make us lesser fans if we complain and critic Belichick.

We are thankful for Bills contributions, but doesn't mean we continue to be an unwatchable team for a decade because of 6 super bowl wins. Brady wasn't given that amount of leverage why should bill be. Better a year early than a year late has been bills moto.

I would much rather have us emulate the lions 2022 season rather than watching us get disrobed every week in the quest to get to playoffs.

Bill methods worked when we have veteran studs. Without them bill coaching and GM is useless. Everything is based on continuity and Brady, scar, Ernie and Josh were big part of it. Without them at age of 72, things take a toll.

Time to move on..
Absolutely! I made mention that we should be the lions or even the jags. Heck the jags even have more playoff appearances and wins than we do the last 4 seasons. It is shocking how bad we are this season. The fact that we the fans are more excited to see what Cunningham can be for us. We should be talking about Mac and how good he is and how he's the franchise QB. Instead we are stuck in reverse. Like you said at age 72 .lifes supposed to be a little easier more tranquil not more stress.

There's this bizarre parallel for the GOATs who've both just gotten out of 16 year relationships. As most if not all of us have experienced, personal lives can spill over and greatly affect work lives. I have lots of patience for him but can understand everyone's calls to move on.

Sad and funny that it took a complete destruction of TB12's personal life (along with the requisite old age reason) for him to finally crash all the way down to 1 game under .500 for the season (but he still made the playoffs).
Yes very odd isn't it. There is an interview with RK I was watching recently I'll try to find it. He was saying how over the years he always gave Brady assurance that he would always make sure he spent on the tream. So my thinking is if RK wanted to spend is it BB saying they shouldn't have? I mentioned this because this is why the roster is the way it is. We have some young guys that could be part the future, but those alpha guys are no long here! I too had patience with BB as we had belief. We went from belief in 2020 to now we are wanting to see what Cunningham can do for as excitement! But it just feels like it's BB last season here .

1960 Pats: "Bring on Deion."

We already have a chaplain and a full complement of cheerleaders.

Sorry. That's a terrible analogy. What you are saying is that fans should rewatch previous games from winning seasons and forget about the here and now.

Music is subjective. Football is objective. The difference between good and bad football is easily quantifiable.
No, the analogy was related to the posters that claim if you aren't on board with with every move the Pats make or player they have, you are not a true fan.

And football is also subjective. People like sports teams for different reasons. We have threads arguing about the Pats uniforms and how people want them to change. People thought the Pats offense during the Brady years was boring while others loved it.

Now we have people think this current Pats are boring to watch while others think there are players to be excited about. Some people like Bill's personality and the way he handles things, while others don't. The list goes on.

Last edited:
For some reason my sleepy brain read Maye and thought Williams.

Maye would be fine…it’s Williams I don’t want.

Maye would be pretty cool. He can sling it.

Bill is tanking for a good pick.

It's obvious. Why else would you wait until the score is 31 - 0 to change QBs? The Playoffs are a dream. They always were and that's the reason why I went with Jim Mora for my avatar. I had choices. Herm Edward's, Jerry Glanville, Marv Lewis.

Been thinking about the three hires Kraft has made at HC….a clear trend emerges.

All had previously been a HC.

Beginning to wonder about guys like Jim Harbaugh, Vrabes (if fired), Dan Quinn, Billy O, Ra Morris, even Flores.

Not saying I love any of them, but Kraft has favored previous experience.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back