PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if we *Don't* hire a GM?

wjojn

Well this is a very different situation . When it's involving Bill Belichick I don't see the Krafts being difficult with his compensation.. IMO
Carrie Brownstein Television GIF

This is just a picture of text with a bunch of typos. Where is it from? Don't believe it is accurate.
[/QUOTE
I found the article, I am 90% sure this was written by ChatGPT

Ok. Because I know even though it's just reports... that Curran on NBC sports Boston..mentioned the organization wouldn't be looking for any type of draft compensation for Bill. I believe that was the right thing to do. He gets his severance, and they mutually agree to part ways.

We are getting all sorts of information now about BB, the Krafts, Groh and Wolf, and even Mayo.

There is a whole new identity being forged in NE, and we will see who looks bad, and who comes out smelling like a rose, if any.

Just gotta reserve judgement and pay attention.

I found the article, I am 90% sure this was written by ChatGPT

Thanks @Ross12 ... I have my doubts that he's getting paid, at least 100% of his contract... Hopefully a definitive answer will come out sooner rather than later... Not that it really matters

Thanks @Ross12 ... I have my doubts that he's getting paid, at least 100% of his contract... Hopefully a definitive answer will come out sooner rather than later

Can you think of even one reason why Bill voluntarily gave up his guaranteed salary?

Every coach gets paid when they get fired.

Except Bill. He's the one guy who said **** it, no thanks.

Thanks @Ross12 ... I have my doubts that he's getting paid, at least 100% of his contract... Hopefully a definitive answer will come out sooner rather than later
I have my fears that we will never know the answer personally. Bill's contract was commonly a mystery - the fact that we knew this year was kind of circumstantial due to the situation. I don't know what reason he would have to leak his termination pay, really, if it existed.

I have my fears that we will never know the answer personally. Bill's contract was commonly a mystery - the fact that we knew this year was kind of circumstantial due to the situation. I don't know what reason he would have to leak his termination pay, really, if it existed.

There's nothing to leak. Every NFL coach in the history of the NFL is paid their salary when they're fired.

This is exactly what Kraft wanted. People actually believing he wasn't fired but he decided to quit just as much as Kraft decided to let him go.

He was fired.

It was 2 parts - One, he took a buyout, considering he had (reportedly) $25 million on the contract, which he absolutely would have been owed if he were fired. So, much like Brady wanted the 'no franchise tag' clause in his last deal, he took a little bit less than that (and Kraft obviously loves that), that leads me to -
2) Guarantee that they wouldn't seek compensation should Belichick coach elsewhere. That's a much bigger part of this - Belichick's not going anywhere without as full an arsenal as possible at his disposal.
He didn't need to agree to some buyout to be able to coach somewhere without giving up compensation. When the coach is fired the team relinquishes all rights to him by doing so. It's only when the coach quits that the team still holds rights for the remainder the time left on the contract.

Can you think of even one reason why Bill voluntarily gave up his guaranteed salary?

Look at it like this.

Bill is looking for a 2 year contract from another team, hypothetically, and he also wants good money. Let's say he goes to several teams to talk cash.

Well, what will all of those teams want to do? They will probably all want to give him a low salary for his first year, because Kraft is still on the hook for $25M in 2024, so why pay Bill when they can leave Kraft holding the bag?

But if Bill takes a termination payment of, let's say, $10M and then they tear up the deal, he can then go negotiate with other teams and leverage offers from different teams against each other. Teams won't have any incentive to keep his first of 2 years lower because there's no pre-existing deal sending money his way that would offset their payment.

I don't know if this is the situation, but it's what I can see happening. If Bill was simply fired, he could end up going to Atlanta and getting a two year/$31M deal, where his salary in year one is $1M and then in year two is $30M, and Kraft is stuck paying him $24M in 2024. But if he got a lump sum payment of $10M from Kraft to tear up the deal and void the last year, then he can go to Atlanta and get a two year/$60M deal where he is getting $30M each year, plus his $10M from Kraft - meaning he got significantly more money than in the first scenario overall - $55M total vs $70M total.

Maybe I am overthinking it.

he wants to coach, and has value on the open market
Instead of capitalizing on that value, RKK let him out of the last year of his contract... He could have moved him out of the HC position and sidelined him for a year... but he didn't

In most cases, not all, there is some sort of quid pro quo

So many "What if..." threads.

We have to be patient and let things play out. I know it's a time of uncertainty but all questions will be answered. It's just going to take time.

Agree completely. I’m really not interested in relitigating the past here. Brady is long gone, Belichick is gone, they have a new young head coach in Mayo, and we have to wait and see how this offseason plays out to even get our first sense of where they are going, and who are the people making the decisions. We should get some insight during free agency, but to me the real tell will be Draft weekend. If the Kraft’s are in the draft room, and involved in the decision making then it’s time to be concerned.

Could be true. However people in the organization still relented to Bill. The moves on FA all were Bill style moves.
??? The articles this morning show they were NOT Bill style moves. Bill style is the guy helping to move the chains, not the home-run hitter

??? The articles this morning show they were NOT Bill style moves. Bill style is the guy helping to move the chains, not the home-run hitter
Parker extension? Lowe? Trent Brown extension? Reiff signing?... seems like Bill moves to me!

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back