PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if we *Don't* hire a GM?

Yup, it was terrible to draft Gonzo, White, SO, Mafi and Douglas.
We have some dudes on defense. I think we need a gm who can effectively evaluate offensive talent and build a good roster. Also a young offensive coordinator wouldn’t hurt. I don’t like this whole we only Hire from within thing

Yup, it was terrible to draft Gonzo, White, SO, Mafi and Douglas.
Mafi is an odd name to include…he sucks. You also omitted Ryland and Barringer

We have some dudes on defense. I think we need a gm who can effectively evaluate offensive talent and build a good roster. Also a young offensive coordinator wouldn’t hurt. I don’t like this whole we only Hire from within thing
Agreed. I think it’s perfect timing to completely blow up the Pats entire offense and start fresh. And don’t give me that “they tried in 2022” crap. Patricia doesn’t count.

I doubt they hire a traditional GM that oversees and has authority over all operations. With Mayo now in place, the may just actually keep their existing personnel executives in place (Groh, Wolf, etc.) with clarity and adjustment of authority. Based on Kraft's words yesterday, Mayo will not have the same authority as Bill when it comes to personnel acquisition (draft and free agency). I would think that he wants a structure where Mayo and the Personnel guy (I think it will be either Groh or Wolf) collaborate with final say going to the personnel head. I have a difficult time picturing Groh or Cesario ever telling Bill he is wrong and making a mistake.

I'm curious how their rankings of college prospects over the past 5-8 years or so compare to where those players are now in their career and in what cases did Bill override the rankings and make a selection off script (Harry, Strange maybe).

There will be plenty of scrutiny of Mayo's inexperience and potential coaching and scheme changes but I think this is secondary to improving the roster and the process of selecting/acquiring players

The last time the New England Patriots had a General Manager was 1991...

Victor Kiam was the owner, and the role and title was filled by Sam Jankovich...

When James Orthwein took over in 1992, the GM position was axed... Sam Jankovich transitioned into a CEO role, and the ownership group ran like a board of directors of a Company... Jankovich lasted for one season in that role before it was eliminated... The role of the General Manager / CEO transitioned from football operations / personnel to a split between the front office and personnel... The breakdown: Chairman of the Board: James Orthwein ; Vice Chairman of the Board: Michael O'Hallaron ; EVP of Football Operations: Patrick Forte ; VP: Bucko Kilroy ; Director of College Scouting – Charley Armey ; Director of Pro Scouting – Bobby Grier

When Robert Kraft bought the team, the new front office was incorporated as such:
President and Chief Executive Officer: Robert Kraft ; VP & Owner's Representative: Jonathan "Stamps" Kraft ; VP of Business Operations: Andy Wasynczuk ; VP of Football Operations: Patrick Forte ; Director of College Scouting: Charley Armey ; Director of Pro Scouting: Bobby Grier ; Scouting Consultant – Bucko Kilroy; The same basic front office structure is in place now... there are a few more people, but generally its run the same...

When Parcells was here, Bobby Grier was really the go to Personnel guy that the team was looking to... and we all know what happened... This team took a beating because of losing Parcells over a draft pick, creating turmoil that followed them all the way to and through the Super Bowl... The Carroll years were run in the same way that the Parcells years were in terms of the front office structure... When BB took over in 2000, the front office changed in that Pioli was installed as the Assistant Director of Player Personnel... While the role functions similarly the the Directors of the early & late 1990's, it avoids the chaos (RKK even kind of references this in his Q&A today) of having multiple voices all talking at once...

Is it crazy to think that the Patriots will not be hiring a General Manager? That they might be looking for the Head Coach to oversee the Personnel department like it has been run for 24 years under Belichick & Co. ?

Ω
I'm sure there are plenty of posters here that could send in their ideas and opinions for staff, free agents, and draft picks. ;)

Last edited:
Considering that Mayo has no head coaching experience and very little as the (defacto) DC, this is not the time to be skimping on the role of GM/Director of Player Personnel. Up until now they had their opinions, but BB had the final say in everything. Mayo is going to have his hands full learning and adjusting to his new role as HC. I would prefer that he focus on that, and lean very heavily on others to handle the personnel evaluations and decisions.

Whether it is Groh/Wolf or one of those mentioned in the GM? thread (such as Alec Halaby, Joe Horitz, Adam Peters), I just think it is too much too soon to for Mayo to have the last word on draft and free agency decisions. The Patriots need competent, experienced decision making in this role. A different perspective (ie, an outsider) would be very helpful, in my opinion.

I think we focus too much on the top level personnel positions and not enough on the mid and low level scouting positions. Leaders make decisions on inputs. Our drafting has been great (2023) and good (2022). Maybe Groh and Wolf can make the decisions themselves for one season unless a really good GM name presents itself.

Thats an interesting name to toss in the ring.
Well, I don't see him leaving Atlanta. I do, however, see a particular free agent coach potentially going there.

Well, I don't see him leaving Atlanta. I do, however, see a particular free agent coach potentially going there.
He's out of football at the moment... Arthur Smith sent him packing in 2020, along with Dan Quinn... He's working for/running a football analytics company now, Sumner Sports

I am intrigued by Trey Brown in Cincinnati. He is young (38), started as a scout in NE and knows Mayo already. After NE he became the director of college scouting for the Eagles until 2018. Then he went to the XFL and was apparently building entire organizations, before going to Cincy as a senior personnel exec. Cincinnati has a good roster and have been very competitive in recent years in pretty much all areas - the biggest issue being their QB getting hurt which you can't control for. They are notorious for having one of the smallest scouting departments in the NFL so Brown probably knows a bit of everything. Dude seems incredibly well rounded for his age.

Dimitroff was fired in Atlanta three years ago and is the CEO of a football analytics startup.

Yes. Crazy. It was obvious yesterday that Kraft is looking for a GM. He stated that checks and balances were important. That BB didn't have full control until after SB win #3. Trust is earned. And no person is perfect and that you need to surround yourself with people who can honestly tell you, no, when necessary.
BS on his part then, because the HC gig just went to someone who's never held a position with accountability.

Mayo's career path:

Pseudo DC who gets credit when the D performs, blameless when it doesn't.
Pseudo Asst HC during the team's downfall, role with zero accountability, completely blameless.
Rookie HC who'll have inherited "BB's mess" and will thus be faultless for the next 3 years.

That all screams cause for concern to me.

BS on his part then, because the HC gig just went to someone who's never held a position with accountability.

Mayo's career path:

Pseudo Asst HC during the team's downfall, role with zero accountability, completely blameless.
Rookie HC who'll have inherited "BB's mess" and will thus be faultless for the next 3 years.

We'll see how well Mayo handles the turmoil when the vitriol is headed directly at him and it all falls on his shoulders. There are no angels.

Mayo's career path:

Yes. But Tom Curran likes the way he works. So we're all good.

All kidding aside, I hope he kills it as the HC. Go Pats!

Mayo's career path:

Yup, couldn't help but feel he spent yesterday lying or thought it was1999.

People don't give enough credit to the rebuild. 2 years ago our defense was old and slow. It needed investment and a total revamp. And in the middle of all that, we rebuilt the entirety of our interior offensive line with 4 new players. 1 running back and 1 wide receiver.

Need a lot of work there an at LT, but...

We also invested in a QB. Who busted.

Here's a big concern for the new crew. You're an agent with a client who wants to maximize his $$$. When you sat across from Belichick and he told you the parameters of the deal, you wouldn't even dream of trying to bluff him.

How many holdouts have we had over the years?

People wouldn't even try holdouts (except for minor guys like Lawrence Guy who wanted a fraction over the minimum).

Who has that authority now?

You're telling me people aren't going to try to test Jonathan or whoever is sitting on the opposite side of the table?

This comes at a time when we have FAs in Onwenu, Dugger, Uche and Anfernee, and impending FAs in Barmore, Rham and a few others.

People don't give enough credit to the rebuild. 2 years ago our defense was old and slow. It needed investment and a total revamp. And in the middle of all that, we rebuilt the entirety of our interior offensive line with 4 new players. 1 running back and 1 wide receiver.

Need a lot of work there an at LT, but...

We also invested in a QB. Who busted.
They rebuilt the interior of the oline but they're still not good.. I feel strange is a bust. Two tackles in the 2nd and 3rd are advisable considering how tough it is to find one and the market value on them. Sign owenu or put him back at guard. He's a must retain

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back