PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if Brady succeeds elsewhere? Ramifications for BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going by 2019. If you still have visions of the glory days dancing in your head, don't let me spoil it for you.

I agree entirely getting Brady back is their best chance at a Super Bowl next year. Whether that's in the best long term interests of the team is another matter.

I don't see 2019 as an indictment of Brady's cliff. I put 2019 in the "everything that could go wrong went wrong" category.

I don't blame BB because he tried to address the flurry of injuries, retirements and whatever else the best he could. And I don't blame Brady because no QB is capable of standing behind a Swiss cheese Oline, with a sputtering run game while trying to throw to a returning from IR rookie, a banged up squirrel, a whatever Sanu was, a fan base's binky and be expected to carry the team to a trophy.

We saw what they could've been during the first couple of weeks but things happened.

Brady is still the best option for this team. The Patriots are still the best option for Brady. I think he's playing here for the next couple of years.

Legacy wise neither loses anything in any scenario imo. At least to the non click bait crowds that is.

Fair point, the offense could have been worse.

Despite the famous hometown discounts, Brady is still costing lot of money. If starting Stidham means adding some pieces, or resigning guys like Thuney, we might not be any worse off. The transition will have to happen soon, and now might be the best time given how strong the defense and special teams are.

My point is losing Brady at this stage doesn't automatically mean a rebuild, as some here have suggested.

Not a rebuild but this team comes back to the pack in the afc east whether you agree or disagree. Stidham will be up and down. I still feel stidham is not ready.

I don't see 2019 as an indictment of Brady's cliff. I put 2019 in the "everything that could go wrong went wrong" category.

I don't blame BB because he tried to address the flurry of injuries, retirements and whatever else the best he could. And I don't blame Brady because no QB is capable of standing behind a Swiss cheese Oline, with a sputtering run game while trying to throw to a returning from IR rookie, a banged up squirrel, a whatever Sanu was, a fan base's binky and be expected to carry the team to a trophy.

We saw what they could've been during the first couple of weeks but things happened.

Brady is still the best option for this team. The Patriots are still the best option for Brady. I think he's playing here for the next couple of years.

Legacy wise neither loses anything in any scenario imo. At least to the non click bait crowds that is.

I think he knows where he wants to be already. Just waiting on the assortments that will be in place.

Whatever team he goes to I hope he does well. I will never wish bad on that guy..ever. I hope he takes that team to the SB.

BB doesn't care. He has all the hardware and still going strong. He's so above everyone. Brady leaves and yeah the team won't be as good but on coaching along you will have a shot.

Not a rebuild but this team comes back to the pack in the afc east whether you agree or disagree. Stidham will be up and down. I still feel stidham is not ready.
Based on?

Fair point, the offense could have been worse.

Despite the famous hometown discounts, Brady is still costing lot of money. If starting Stidham means adding some pieces, or resigning guys like Thuney, we might not be any worse off. The transition will have to happen soon, and now might be the best time given how strong the defense and special teams are.

My point is losing Brady at this stage doesn't automatically mean a rebuild, as some here have suggested.
Thuney is not coming back even if Tom doesn't.

BB is a legendary first ballot hall of fame coach. Why would anything that happens next year change that in the slightest?

The guy has been an incredible gift for Patriots land. Not sure how may of you out here had to live through Rod Rust, **** MacPherson, Clive Rush etc.....

Thuney is not coming back even if Tom doesn't.

Agreed. GM Caserio is going to sign him to a big contract on the recommendation of Head Coach McDaniels. He'll probably get a locker next to Chung.

Bump to this thread. The ramifications for BB haven’t been discussed enough.

Without Brady, here is BB’s track record. I agree he is a phenomenal coach/GM, but this narrative is crazy.

1991 Cleveland - 6-10 Missed Postseason
1992 Cleveland - 7-9 Missed Postseason
1993 Cleveland - 7-9 Missed Postseason
1994 Cleveland - 11-5 Won Wild Card
1995 Cleveland - 5-11 Missed Postseason
2000 New England - 5-11 Missed Postseason
2008 New England - 11-5 Missed Postseason

That’s 1 postseason appearance/win in 7 seasons.

With Brady, 17 postseason appearances in 18 seasons.

Let’s see him actually succeed without Brady before crowning him best coach ever.

He is already the greatest coach ever.

Without Brady, here is BB’s track record. I agree he is a phenomenal coach/GM, but this narrative is crazy.

1991 Cleveland - 6-10 Missed Postseason
1992 Cleveland - 7-9 Missed Postseason
1993 Cleveland - 7-9 Missed Postseason
1994 Cleveland - 11-5 Won Wild Card
1995 Cleveland - 5-11 Missed Postseason
2000 New England - 5-11 Missed Postseason
2008 New England - 11-5 Missed Postseason

That’s 1 postseason appearance/win in 7 seasons.

With Brady, 17 postseason appearances in 18 seasons.

Let’s see him actually succeed without Brady before crowning him best coach ever.

In Cleveland, BB inherited and rebuilt a 3--13 team, became intensely unpopular with the fanbase when he (rightly) figured out that the beloved Bernie Kosar wasn't a Franchise QB but still took them to the playoffs with a solid but not great Testaverde and finally got fired over the phone by Modell after the chaos of the final 5--11 season before the move to BAL. No respected analyst thinks that he did anything but the best job possible with poor personnel and a bad owner, especially as a rookie HC.

And, you're actually holding the 2000 season against him, when he was starting to fix the mess that a (then) untested Pete Carroll had made of a very good team that Parcells had built, taking that team from an SB the year before to last place in the Division in three seasons? You're seriously holding that against him?

2008. The team loses Brady in the first game after "18--1," but somehow ends up only missing the playoffs on a tiebreaker, tied for the best record in the Division. You're holding that against him? Seriously?

Come on man!

In Cleveland, BB inherited and rebuilt a 3--13 team, became intensely unpopular with the fanbase when he (rightly) figured out that the beloved Bernie Kosar wasn't a Franchise QB but still took them to the playoffs with a solid but not great Testaverde and finally got fired over the phone by Modell after the chaos of the final 5--11 season before the move to BAL. No respected analyst thinks that he did anything but the best job possible with poor personnel and a bad owner, especially as a rookie HC.

And, you're actually holding the 2000 season against him, when he was starting to fix the mess that a (then) untested Pete Carroll had made of a very good team that Parcells had built, taking that team from an SB the year before to last place in the Division in three seasons? You're seriously holding that against him?

2008. The team loses Brady in the first game after "18--1," but somehow ends up only missing the playoffs on a tiebreaker, tied for the best record in the Division. You're holding that against him? Seriously?

Come on man!

You’ve attempted to explain away 117 games.

Come on man!
He never had a QB in Cleveland. No shame in that. It is hard to find one. His biggest test will be finding the next QB. I have faith he will eventually.

It's important to realize that to the extent BB has success post Brady will be precisely because he found another good/great QB.

Last edited:
Belichick should be fired if he doesn't even try to bring Brady back.

BB is a legendary first ballot hall of fame coach. Why would anything that happens next year change that in the slightest?

The guy has been an incredible gift for Patriots land. Not sure how may of you out here had to live through Rod Rust, **** MacPherson, Clive Rush etc.....
Nothing will change Bill Belichick's eventually HoF candidacy and acceptance.

But fact is if Bill and Tom divorce, and Tom has more success before retiring while Belichick goes .500 over the next 6 years, that will impact the way people view Belichick. Same thing holds true for Brady if he quickly falters and Belichick has continuing success.

But fact is if Bill and Tom divorce, and Tom has more success before retiring while Belichick goes .500 over the next 6 years, that will impact the way people view Belichick. Same thing holds true for Brady if he quickly falters and Belichick has continuing success.

Both sides could be wrong at the same time. Brady has dominated the afc east. It wouldn’t be so easy in another team and division. Also bill would have it tough with a rookie QB and a brutal schedule next year.

Not necessarily, it all depends on context especially at this stage of their careers. Brady could falter physically simply due to age factors and BB could "falter" due to roster rebuilding which has compromised the best of coaches. Conversely, Brady could latch onto a team that is stacked offensively or Brady's Patriots replacement could be the second coming. Neither case will be clear cut.

Both sides could be wrong at the same time. Brady has dominated the afc east. It wouldn’t be so easy in another team and division. Also bill would have it tough with a rookie QB and a brutal schedule next year.

The Myth of the weak AFC EAST has been dispelled and disproven many times over

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye