PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happened to the leading with the head rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owners have significant, if not all the input behind decisions like these. He’s just their shield for when it backfires in the court of public opinion. If that weren’t so, they wouldn’t have backed up the Brinks truck for him when the time came to re-up.
Just because they retained him doesn't make that so. Goodell has plenty of autonomy and is doing a crap job.

"Just a puppet"? R. Stokoe Goodell has ample autonomy, make no mistake about that. He is responsible for hatching all sorts of highly questionable initiatives while clearly taking advantage of petty rivalries between owners or factions of owners. The owners are far from united in directing him or blessed with the individual power to micro-manage the commissioner's whims. Where they can make a difference is in who they ultimately choose for that job, and they've ill-advisedly kept him in place when they need someone who sees his/her mission as protecting and maintaining the game's integrity vs. tinkering with it at every opportunity.

I know that Fraudger believes in integrity because he uses the word all the time and even has it stenciled on the glass of his office wall. He wouldn't lie.

Its the same with all the rules that the NFL claims to make a special emphasis.

Like PI. The first few games you cant breath on a WR without drawing a penalty. See how we are enforcing the rules Joe Public? By the end of the season you can tackle the WR without the ball in the air and talk yourself out of a penalty.

Certain officiating crews enforce their trademark rules more than other crews too. This is why PI is so ambiguous. The crew last week called almost every time a D player roughed up a WR. This weeks crew lets it go unless is an egregious foul that cannot be overlooked.

I'm not a rule guy so correct me if I'm wrong but,isn't this the same as spearing? Arule already on the books that they don't enforce?

Just because they retained him doesn't make that so. Goodell has plenty of autonomy and is doing a crap job.
Are you trying to put this together logically? Think for a minute. He’s doing a crap job. We know that. And yet the owners have vocally supported him and re-upped his contract to the tune of (IIRC) $44M. Hmmm. Why could that be?

Are you trying to put this together logically? Think for a minute. He’s doing a crap job. We know that. And yet the owners have vocally supported him and re-upped his contract to the tune of (IIRC) $44M. Hmmm. Why could that be?
Because money is steady, obviously. And yes, I want the owners to care about much more than that.

Because money is steady, obviously. And yes, I want the owners to care about much more than that.
Money would be just as if not even more steady without Goodell. But he’s their flak jacket so they’re more than happy to pay him. This is very obvious. If they weren’t happy with him for that, they wouldn’t have re-upped his contract or praised him publicly.

I wonder if this guy got fined..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back