• Make the playoffs

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • Have a winning record

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Have a .500 record or better and Stidham shows promise

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Develop Stidham for future seasons

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • As of right now, I have no expectations at all and am preparing to take the season as it comes.

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Ray Lewis. Guy. You know the deal.

Votes: 4 3.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I can kiss just 1 girl

If these two things happen I’m happy with the season:

1. The young players play, contribute, develop, and show promise.
  2. We are 100% certain whether or not Stidham is the QB of the future

Success this year would be a bonus. If Stidham steps right in and excels, fantastic. If he’s the worst QB ever, OK. We’ll be in good position to get another. I just don’t want to be where the Bills are with Allen or the Bears are with Trubisky, stuck in QB purgatory.

I answered "the playoffs". I know we should be down on this team after how the season ended and then losing the GOAT. I just refuse to believe that a Belichick team will miss the playoffs.

We will move the ball on the ground and have a strong play action game. The defense will still be elite, we won't tank for a QB but compete for the division.

Not so much record, but how it happens. As long as the team shows discipline, minimal mental errors, improvement week to week, and an all-around "these guys get it" vibe I'll be fine.

- Not getting swept by a division opponent
- No outright blowouts (I think this is fair - this almost rests more in the hands of the defense)
- 9-7 would be great, 11-5 would amaze me
- A game or two where we see Stidham's potential
- Some tough, close games to give us an idea of how Stidham reacts - would love to see one turn into a W here and there.

Honestly, it's more about analysis this season. It's drastically impacted by CoVID. This is possibly gonna be a reduced season. Like some are suggesting, you may not see teams find their identity until November/December. So I'm just gonna try to get a read on each player.

We are back to the early/mid 90s where personally I was happy to have games that mattered in December. Get to December with 5 or 6 wins and you have games that matter.

In 2001 once Brady won a couple games we were playing with house $... At one point, that yr they were 3-4 or 4-5 or something...lose next game and you're now 2 games under .500...they won and I remember saying to my friends "4-4 is alot better than 3-5"...and it really is... hopefully the Pats get to that point this season

But it's all house $ money now because the corona was supposed to kill a million Americans... Right after Florida is under water and all the icebergs melt...

Last edited:
Well, for 20 years I hoped for a super bowl with Brady. Before that I hoped for a super bowl with Bledsoe, Eason, Grogan. So I would suppose that for the future I will shelter this same hope in my heart. As long as there is no soul crushing defeats I am good to go.

Shula not being alive for it

"Success" would be at least an 8 & 8 record.

-Stidham shows a lot of promise and can be the next leader of the O
-The past two years draft classes develop and reduces a lot of fan skepticism
-The WR's & TE's are better than many believe they are
-The D continues to show how good they are

The Pats will then go into the offseason free from salary cap hell with a boatload of money to sign FA's...

Being an old timer (fan since 1975), I've seen a lot. Every QB we drafted, I always had high hopes for. From Grogan, to Matt Cavanaugh to Tony Eason, even hoped Tommy Hodson would be a good one. Amazing to think, we haven't had to worry about the QB position since 1993 (ok 2008, but we knew Brady would come back). So basically 27 years of Bledsoe and Brady, amazing stability. So this situation brings me back to the Tony Eason era. Thought Eason was gonna be a good one, had a good year in 1984, so-so after that. Hopefully Stidham is way better than Eason.

We've been incredibly blessed as Pat's fans. Since the Bledsoe era began in 1993, our team has been to 10 SBs, winning 6 of them. I look back at the 49ers, they won 5 SBs in 14 years with Montana/Young, and have only been back twice since 1994. Hopefully we do better than that. I think next offseason is going to be huge towards finding out if the Pats will continue their Dynasty ways. Hopefully Belichick uses the huge cap space wisely.

This may be a down year, but Belichick is the greatest coach of all time, he may surprise us all.

Winning record and gain more experience (Stidham, WR’s) for 2021.

I want to see a competitive team, watch the young players grow and improve, then by season's end see them beat some good teams.

Sometimes in order to leap ahead, you need to take a couple steps back to get a running start.

We need to relearn how to enjoy the process, it's a strange feeling for Pat's fans.

2020 marks my 50th year of Patriot fandom. And, the definition of a successful season will be what it’s always been - to win the AFC East.

If Stidham’s confidence survives some early setbacks, the Patriots are still the best team in the AFCE and should win their division. This is not a rebuilding season. This defense is too good for that, and, barring significant injuries, will be even better than last year’s.

I’m thinking if we can manage a winning record and have something to build on. Other aspirations are not really doable but if they happen I’ll be happy. For me, this year is about being above 500 and building up

Stidham exceeding our expectations, run game in top 5 form, Harry and or Meyers break out, making the playoffs. And lastly if none of those come to fruition, the consolation prize, the right to pick Lawrence.

Anything other than those is a disappointment.

Success is winning the SB. That’s the only goal. That shouldn’t change, in my opinion, by how high or low the odds of doing it seem before a game is even played. Just my 2 cents.

Success will be proving the doom and gloom folks wrong. I think we will be successful that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes