PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What about Steve Belichick

Im curious where all this leaves him both with the Patriots and his career. Do you think there was some deal worked out between Kraft and Bill to keep Steve? If you were Steve would you want to stay? Do you think saying good bye to Steve is part of the reset and if not do you keep him where he is or consider a promotion (not HC obviously as that would invalidate the reset). But to DC or something else?
I've said it in other threads but I think there is reason to keep Steve on board. I think he is a good coach and a smart guy, but if he does stay I want it to be because Mayo works well with him and believes Steve can do the job. Not because Bill and Bob simply made an agreement.

I get the sense that Bill understands that it would be best for Steve's career to separate and let him grow on his own as a coach.

I hope he stays but doubt he will. Steve is the one calling the defense. Mayo did the game planning.

I heard he's very tight with Mayo so very possible he could stay if Mayo is HC.

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a Belichick as a DC. He'd probably have Bill on speed dial.
true: I love this below Mayo quote.

Hope it points to Steve as DC, but Covington good choice too.
I think the only reason neither Steve nor Jerod got the DC title last year was cause SB is BB son. In any other setup/team they would have had to make a fish or cut bait decision. But their relationship was the grease that made a normally untenable org; actually work.

“Steve and I, our relationship goes a long way back,” Mayo said in 2019. “When I was hurt, we would spend hours watching film together, breaking down film, talking X’s and O’s. Steve loves the history of the game, as well, so he would always drop nuggets. He grew up around it. We have a very strong relationship, and we kind of play off each other. It’s been great.”

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a Belichick as a DC. He'd probably have Bill on speed dial.
Well it is his dad. I would hope so. :)

Since we are sticking in house with Mayo, I would hope they keep the continuity on the defensive side of the ball. Not many issues over there. But a complete overhaul of the offense should be in order. And add some coaches, preferably experienced ones with HC/Coordinator experience to the staff across the board.

I read somewhere that Mayo and Steve B became tight in 2015 when Mayo was injured...kept in touch...

In 2023, Mayo ran defensive meetings...presumably with the front 7 (a lot of quotes from Barmore in an article I read) and Steve called plays....

I think Steve covered the back end of the D too along with others.

One thing for sure, Mayo and Belichick Jr. run a tight ship on the defensive side of the ball.

And yeah...Steve might follow Bill...but this is a good opportunity for him to also step out of his father's shadow and not have to move.

Should be interesting either way.... I am fine with Covington as DC too...

More interested in the OC and ST coaching staff ...I am a little lukewarm on Achord and Judge....

And GM too!

I want Covington as DC.
Bingo! Demarcus covington is another talented coach on the staff that likely will get the nod at DC.. I believe SB is a talented coach who should go elsewhere to spread his wings.

I was wondering the same thing myself. I strongly suspect it was part of Bill's and Bob's "conversations" over the past week. It would be strange keeping a Belichick offspring after losing the dad, but maybe they see it as a chance for him to start walking in his own path.

I honestly think it depends greatly on the relationship with Mayo. I have no reason to think they have a bad relationship but, quite honestly, I've never heard much about their interactions.
I’ve read somewhere (I don’t remember where and I’m not saying it’s confirmed) that Jerod and Steve are tight and have had a good working relationship. For that reason, it wouldn’t shock me if Steve stays onboard as the DC. He needs to start his own coaching path apart from Dad.

Last edited:
Steve is the one calling the defense. Mayo did the game planning.
This is why I hope he stays. They seem to work well together and our D has benefited from that.

Why fix something that ain’t broke?

Reactions: Ian
I don’t think it makes sense for SB or Brian to do anything until they know what BB is going to do moving forward. With that said I would be surprised if they stay with the Pats, it seems unlikely to be a pleasant work environment for them moving forward, even if their relationship with Mayo is hunky dory at this point. I’m expecting SB to be bypassed for DC in favor of Covington who seems to be doing a great job and has already drawn interest from other teams.

It’s funny how much agitation there seems to be regarding SB. I have no reason to believe his tenure with the team has been to the detriment to the Pats What I do believe is that this arrangement is not uncommon in either the NFL or college football. These coaches put in ungodly hours and I suspect they cherish the opportunity to have their kids work for them after missing time with them in their youth. Someone like Kraft whose sons work for him likely has little issue with it so long as there is no reason to believe it hurts the franchise.

I wouldn't be surprised if either of the boys stayed, nor would I be if they left to gigs on their own. At some point, they have to not be Kyle to Mike Shanahan and step out and be impendent of Bill.

I think Steve B is gone. Not necessarily to work with his dad but somewhere other than Patriot Place.
I suspect all hints and remnants of the BB era will be gone.

I am a little lukewarm on Achord and Judge....
How can you be lukewarm on those ass clowns?
giphy.gif

He becomes the DC and plays the long game....

You heard it here first ..in 24 years, 2048, after 6 more Super Bowls..Mayo and Johnathan Kraft mutually part ways and Steve Belichick is named HC of the New England Patriots.

Kidding.

Sorta.

He becomes the DC and plays the long game....

You heard it here first ..in 24 years, 2048, after 6 more Super Bowls..Mayo and Johnathan Kraft mutually part ways and Steve Belichick is named HC of the New England Patriots.

Kidding.

Sorta.
This would have been a possibility before the last 36 hours happened. There's zero chance he stays with the Patriots organization now.

Having Bill on speed dial would be an issue though. Worst thing that could happen is Bill still casting a shadowy hand on the team.

Imagine staying with a company after they fired your father.

This is some weird **** if Steve stays.

Imagine staying with a company after they fired your father.

This is some weird **** if Steve stays.
If he knows what's good for him and has 2 brain cells, he does not follow Bill whatever happens.

Nobody will take him seriously if all he does is work for his father and sooner or later his father will retire.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back