PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The first thing I thought about when I heard about the benching of Butler was the 2010 playoff game against the hated Jets - Welker was making fun of Rex Ryan earlier in the week before the game and was benched for the 1st series after getting on the field to handle the opening punt - the Patriots went on to lose the game then as well as it seemed that day they were also out of sync after the move and the Jets took advantage and pulled off the shocker win.

You simply cannot speak to the media about anything that is not following under the team guidelines,especially about wanting to go to another team when on this team and in the offseason.

This was a string along punishment for Butler that was going to be dealt with somehow in the end IMO -and it seemed to really affect the whole defense almost breaking apart the rhythm of them playing well as a cohesive unit in the past 2 months.

Butler wasn't the best CB we ever had,but he practically won the SB for us 4 years ago and he deserved more respect than he got last night and kept this team afloat when Gilmore was struggling - I wish him well on his new team and hope its not a team in the AFC East.

I agree. I don't care what he said. NOTHING warrants benching your #2 corner for the WHOLE DURATION OF THE SUPERBOWL, especially when your defense couldn't stop a geriatric patient in a wheelchair. Seems BB's ego takes precedence over the team's shot at a Lombardi. I always appreciated BB's ability to run a tight ship, but this just takes it to whole new level.

No one can tell for sure what the outcome of the game would have been had Butler played last night, but one thing is guaranteed: It could not have been worse, that's for sure!

Bill has ego moments and sometimes they're costly. The Welker benching, the Welker contact, the Steven Jackson "run until we get a first down" that cost us the 1 seed against Miami a couple years ago, the Butler benching to name a few. I think with his greatness you also get his ego and that is just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes