PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Not trying to drudge up old debates on whether Belichick was right or not to try harder to retain him, but I felt it was depressing watching him yesterday. It really saddens me that his likely last catch in the NFL was a catch where he dove to the ground to avoid getting hit after building a career of playing so fearlessly.

It was clear that Welker should have retired after last season. I think he played scared this year. I think he knew his concussions were an issue and he played to avoid getting hurt and it clearly affected his play (along with his age).

No matter how his tenure with the Pats ended, he will always be a favorite of mine. It is just sad to see his career end like this. Unfortunately, he is like many players who just cannot admit to themselves when it is the best time to walk away from the game. I have to assume that he will not risk his health for a veteran's minimum contract next season (which is the best he is going to draw) and being a team's 3rd or 4th WR.

Last edited:
I wish he would retire too. My kid still proudly sports his Pats Welker jersey (even though I can tell he wants Edelman's badly) every time the Pats play. Heck he even wore it when the Broncos play.

Not trying to drudge up old debates on whether Belichick was right or not to try harder to retain him, but I felt it was depressing watching him yesterday. It really saddens me that his likely last catch in the NFL was a catch where he dove to the ground to avoid getting hit after building a career of playing so fearlessly.

It was clear that Welker should have retired after last season. I think he played scared this year. I think he knew his concussions were an issue and he played to avoid getting hurt and it clearly affected his play (along with his age).

No matter how his tenure with the Pats ended, he will always be a favorite of mine. It is just said to see his career end like this. Unfortunately, he is like many players who just cannot admit to themselves when it is the best time to walk away from the game. I have to assume that he will not risk his health for a veteran's minimum contract next season (which is the best he is going to draw) and being a team's 3rd or 4th WR.

I loved him when he was here but the last two years have really eclipsed that. He was really snarky about Belichick when he first went to Denver, with an `i'll show you` attitude, so I didn't really feel any sympathy for him at all.

Not trying to be spiteful, but I don't ever want to see him wearing a red jacket around these parts.

I wish him well but have zero sentimental attachment to him as a Patriot now.

No matter how his tenure with the Pats ended, he will always be a favorite of mine. It is just said to see his career end like this. Unfortunately, he is like many players who just cannot admit to themselves when it is the best time to walk away from the game. I have to assume that he will not risk his health for a veteran's minimum contract next season (which is the best he is going to draw) and being a team's 3rd or 4th WR.
I understand your sentiment, but the important point is he should've been smart enough to retire last year. There's no loss of pride in doing what's best for your health and your family. Wanted a ring too badly, apparently.

I loved him when he was here but the last two years have really eclipsed that. He was really snarky about Belichick when he first went to Denver, with an `i'll show you` attitude, so I didn't really feel any sympathy for him at all.

Not trying to be spiteful, but I don't ever want to see him wearing a red jacket around these parts.

I wish him well but have zero sentimental attachment to him as a Patriot now.

I don't know if I really can get mad at Welker for that. Unfortunately, Belichick saw what Welker refused to see - he was declining as a player. I think a prideful Welker had problems coming to terms with the fact that Belichick didn't value him as he feels he should have been valued. Belichick approaches players like a business. Many times it is tough for a player to do the same.

I was getting depressed watching WWW last night. I hope he retires for the sake of his health. Sucks that he never got a ring.

0 for 3.

If only...

He just didnt look quick in and out of breaks on his routes. I think the ship has sailed on a very fine career.

BB made Welker

Welker should stop now and be thankful that BB turned a nobody into a somebody.

The moment he was gone, to me he was gone....no different than sergio brown or jermaine cunningham or brandon spikes or jeremy mincey......a former pat on another team.

A fringe HOFer that for a 6 year stretch was one of the most uncoverable WRs 1 on 1 in NFL history. When you own even one record over Jerry Rice (most 100+ reception seasons with five), that's impressive. Only Jets Revis was really the only CB to ever slow him down.

However, Edelman certainly has the chance to build a Patriots legacy in the next few weeks and years to come with some clutch plays in the playoffs.

I can't relate to players who change teams where they're welcomed for another team over small money. Young players going elsewhere for big $ contracts that their 1st team won't come close to, absolutely do that. Older players leaving for small differences, no. I never made NFL $ but I had myriad opportunities to go elsewhere for disposable income that would have made some difference but never changed jobs in hectic high tech for money. Job challenge & fulfillment and family stability ruled. I don't regret for a picosecond not chasing the last dollar.
Welker let pride and a few $ over ride a legacy where he would have been revered and worse yet jeopardized his life health by playing for a QB who could not have cared less about leading him into danger with passes.

A fringe HOFer that for a 6 year stretch was one of the most uncoverable WRs 1 on 1 in NFL history. When you own even one record over Jerry Rice (most 100+ reception seasons with five), that's impressive. Only Jets Revis was really the only CB to ever slow him down.

However, Edelman certainly has the chance to build a Patriots legacy in the next few weeks and years to come with some clutch plays in the playoffs.

And the fact that a slot receiver drew the best CB in the game is a testament to Wes in and of itself. I hope he walks away too, while he still has a chance at a normal post football life.

History once again showed that BB was right, I can still remember the posters who thought $8MM/yr was too low and were violently insulted by the final deal the Pats offered. Granted its all 20-20 hindsight, but the signs were there. While Welker's catches and importance to the offense was still there, his drops were increasing yearly, his catch radius was shrinking, and his quickness ebbing, He had one more very productive year with Manning, but even then at the end you could see it slipping away, This year he was just a shadow of his form self. You're right Rob, it was sad.

Wes eventually will get his day to be honored at Gillette, He certainly is one of the all time Pats, A guy who should be remembered for his fearless and productive play. But the fact is the Pats knew his time was about up and wanted him back anyway. When he left they replaced his production without a misstep with their 2nd option, and in the end wound up with a younger more versatile player for a bit less.

I can't relate to players who change teams where they're welcomed for another team over small money. Young players going elsewhere for big $ contracts that their 1st team won't come close to, absolutely do that. Older players leaving for small differences, no. I never made NFL $ but I had myriad opportunities to go elsewhere for disposable income that would have made some difference but never changed jobs in hectic high tech for money. Job challenge & fulfillment and family stability ruled. I don't regret for a picosecond not chasing the last dollar.
Welker let pride and a few $ over ride a legacy where he would have been revered and worse yet jeopardized his life health by playing for a QB who could not have cared less about leading him into danger with passes.

It isn't just that he left, but that he went to go catch balls for Peyton Manning and try to deny us a Superbowl by playing for our emerging conference rival. I understand the "that was the best place for him to get a ring" argument, but there were other teams he could of went to in contention, I'm sure. He was basically helping Elway try to improve Denver at our expense, and did it for less money.

On the other hand, I didn't even care he was leaving because I was a very early proponent of Julian Edelman and didn't think we were going to miss him.

But going to Peyton was cringe worthy, and nobody can fault any Patriot fan for not caring about him now
(not that anyone has)

In other words, the `traitor` label is fair game with Welker.

I think on his best catch yesterday he went down on purpose before the Colts defenders could hit him.

The announcers said nothing about it.

Wes eventually will get his day to be honored at Gillette, He certainly is one of the all time Pats, A guy who should be remembered for his fearless and productive play.

Here, here! Bury any ill feelings if any and recognize him at Gillette. I would hazard a guess that Mr. Kraft would like to do that one day but I would also guess that Coach Belichick would be indifferent about it.

I think on his best catch yesterday he went down on purpose before the Colts defenders could hit him.

The announcers said nothing about it.

In his defense, I think Wes got a pretty obvious demonstration in the difference between Peyton and Tom.
Tom has thrown receivers into big hits before, just like everyone, but it was very rare, and in big moments when we needed something bad.

Peyton throws murder balls in week #6 on 1st and 10.

I would of protected myself and been hoping to come out of the season alive with my 5 or 6 million

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back