PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're Waiting For The Big News - On OFFENSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please disregard. My mistake.

It's interesting that Darby is rumored be on the trading block after only the one year in Philly, especially with the rumors that they might be done with their most-used 2017 CB, UFA Patrick Robinson (age 30).

Darby just turned 24. He's 5'11"/195 (not "small", but not "big").

After he recovered from the ankle dislocation that kept him off the field for the first half of 2017, Darby's per-game production was at the same level as his first two NFL seasons with the Bills (average 1 INT, 17 PD, 69 tackles), where he started opposite Gilmore for two seasons (the Bills pass-D was top-5 overall in the second of those two seasons).

Darby is entering the last season of his rookie deal for $1.06M.

I don't know if he'd fit the Pats at all, or what the flaws in his game may be. And I doubt that he'd be worth the 3rd-rounder that the Eagles are rumored to be seeking for him.

Maybe a 4th/conditional 3rd? At the price, Darby could be a much better value, especially long term, than Sherman at $7M for one season (if that's even possible).

Sad but true. Sooner than later Cooks is going to demand his money and we won't be able to pay him 13 or 14 mln. $ per season. Ok, he showed some sparks, some great attitude but he knows his value and the fact that NFL is a business. It is a right moment to think what is best for the team. Either let Cooks play one more year for us or to trade him and get something in exchange. If BB thinks Cooks is just another guy, ok make a move.I like the guy but I think he is replaceable and our Wr corp with Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell, Dorsett, Dola and maybe Britt is ok. Mostly concerns me defense issues and keeping together our OL.

So next year the Pats get Cooks at a little more than half his market rate, and with only more production ahead of him given the familiarity with Brady and the system, and that it will be a contract year.

And they will have a WR corps without a single other receiver under contract that is coming into the season healthy and that has demonstrated success in the system. Not a single one. And with the possibility of being Gronk-less.

So you can give that up by trading him for a 3rd round pick, because his trade value is as a one year rental. Or, you can solidify the WR corps by keeping him for the final year and build the rest around him, and then get a comp pick if he leaves as a free agent, which would probably be a 4th rounder.

Fortunately or not I have nothing to do with Cooks because I am not BB or any member of Pats' staff. I did not say I am an adherer of trading Cooks. It is just curiosity what BB thinks about Cooks' value. Agree that Cooks as a first year player in NE did good things for us and next year would be even better.The question is he worth 12-3 mln. $ per year in the perspective of the Pats as an organisation with a quite narrow salary?

Fortunately or not I have nothing to do with Cooks because I am not BB or any member of Pats' staff. I did not say I am an adherer of trading Cooks. It is just curiosity what BB thinks about Cooks' value. Agree that Cooks as a first year player in NE did good things for us and next year would be even better.The question is he worth 12-3 mln. $ per year in the perspective of the Pats as an organisation with a quite narrow salary?
He is.

So next year the Pats get Cooks at a little more than half his market rate, and with only more production ahead of him given the familiarity with Brady and the system, and that it will be a contract year.

And they will have a WR corps without a single other receiver under contract that is coming into the season healthy and that has demonstrated success in the system. Not a single one. And with the possibility of being Gronk-less.

So you can give that up by trading him for a 3rd round pick, because his trade value is as a one year rental. Or, you can solidify the WR corps by keeping him for the final year and build the rest around him, and then get a comp pick if he leaves as a free agent, which would probably be a 4th rounder.
Most definitely a projected 3rd round comp pick, considering that someone is going to sign him to a market value top 10-15 WR deal worth tens of millions of dollars. You don’t get any more clear cut for the highest round (3rd) comp pick than that.

Of course, losing Cooks would simply be one variable that’s factored into the overall formula, but I think that we assume that the Pats won’t make a similar tier move or series of moves in FA to offset that. The signing of Gilmore last season is one of the main reasons why we only netted a 4th round comp pick this year.

The question is he worth 12-3 mln. $ per year in the perspective of the Pats as an organisation with a quite narrow salary?

This may be more likely than many fans think.

In the past, BB has given very large, long-term contracts to young players with proven abilities that he seems to believe he can build a unit around. Gronk in 2012 and McCourty in 2015 are the most recent examples. It's entirely possible that BB could see Cooks the same way.

And, while $13M/yr may seem outrageous now, we've all seen enough escalation in WR salaries to understand that, in a couple-three years, it's likely to be seen as a far more reasonable number.

In 2015, Julio Jones got $14.25M/yr.

At the end of the 2017 season, Davante Adams got $14.5M/yr for far less than what Jones had produced prior to his "big" contract in 2015. By this time next year, Jones at $14.25M may look like a steal.

Big news on offense is important too, especially with guys like Gronk, Solder, Lewis, Fleming/Waddle, and Amendola currently in limbo.

Everyone is focused on the defense and obviously, I do believe that we still need improvement at all three levels, but we can’t overlook the importance of having a high scoring, attacking offense, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News