PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to Day 2

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
To summarize an historic Day 1 of free agency...

The Pats needed a TE. They signed one of the best in Jonnu Smith.
The Pats needed WR help. They signed two very good ones (not elite, but very good) in Nelson Agholor and Kendrick Bourne.
The Pats needed DT help. They signed Davon Godcheaux and Henry Anderson, both of whom are solid.
The Pats needed edge pass rushing help. They signed one of the best in Matt Judon.
The Pats added defensive backfield help in Jalen Mills, who immediately becomes one of their most versatile defenders.

Additionally, before Day 1...

The NFL added a 2021 third round pick (#96) and a 2021 fourth round pick (#139) as compensation for lost FAs in last year's offseason.
Dont'a Hightower and Patrick Chung have declared they will return, adding quality veterans to the defense.
They traded Marcus Cannon, who they were going to cut anyway, for cap space and improvements in three rounds in the upcoming draft.
They signed Trent Brown to improve the offensive line.
They signed Cam Newton at QB.

They did lose Joe Thuney, which is a significant loss on the offensive line.

On the whole...this has been an unbelievably great start to this offseason. Every single hole the Pats had got taken care of, without costing them any draft picks. They still have a ton of draft ammo, and even have a fair amount of cap space left for more moves.

This team has absolutely CRUSHED it so far. We are now on to Day 2. I don't expect a whole lot to happen from now til the draft, but who knows?

If the Pats draft a QB high I give it an A+ for setting the table for a newbie.

If they stand pat with Cam starting for real, and not just as a bridge for the new guy, then it's a waste IMO.

NE will need a RB if White and Burkhead leave tomorrow.

Chris Carson is banged up quite a bit, but he might be perfect for the NE RBBC.

Harris, Sony, Carson, Taylor and Bolden. I like it alot because Carson is so versatile.

Get Van Noy in the fold & the pats defense would be a modified version of 2019.

Offensively, I’m a fan of Agholor’s game & Bourne coming in at 5M APY is more realistic. I don’t think they can acquire a WR1 so focus on center.

Considering they want to compete I would also extend Gilmore at 15-16 per. Drastically lowering his cap hit & keeping the best secondary in football intact.

The 2020 Pats

7-9 record
19th point differential
bad offense (great rushing, historically bad passing)
good defense (mediocre against the run, mediocre pass rush, elite vs the pass)

pats today

mediocre offense (great rushing, bad passing)
great defense (good vs the run, good pass rush, elite vs the pass)

Last edited:
I want to give credit to Bill for his day 1 moves because I was critical of Bill lately. It’s ok to point to the bad things when there are but it’s important to give credit when it’s due.

i feel like the last few years Bill the GM handicaped Bill the HC. And this year, I feel like Bill the GM has given Bill the HC the right tools (well except for the QB ;) )

If the Pats draft a QB high I give it an A+ for setting the table for a newbie.

If they stand pat with Cam starting for real, and not just as a bridge for the new guy, then it's a waste IMO.

A 2021 drafted QB is not going to step in and start unless there is no other option.

So, if youre not all in on Cam, that means rolling with Jared Stiffman or finding a FA QB who you think is better and paying him more. FWIW, the Pats are linked to Jacoby Brisset returning and he is not better than Cam.

Have to think they're gonna re-sign Guy. Unless a team completely overpays for him. He's underrated and would be a big loss if he's not back.

Get Van Noy in the fold & the pats defense would be a modified version of 2019.

Offensively, I’m a fan of Agholor’s game & Bourne coming in at 5M APY is more realistic. I don’t think they can acquire a WR1 so focus on center.

Considering they want to compete I would also extend Gilmore at 15-16 per. Drastically lowering his cap hit & keeping the best secondary in football intact.
I don’t really want KVN back. With High, Judon, Bentley, Wino, Uche and Jennings we are set. I don’t want to take too much snaps away from Uche in particular.

And if Gilmore is gone, our secondary will take a step back. McCourty is declining. we don’t really know the level of Chung. Jackson is not as good without Gilmore. Mills is more a remplacement for JMac. This kind of hybrid CB/Safety

I want to give credit to Bill for his day 1 moves because I was critical of Bill lately. It’s ok to point to the bad things when there are but it’s important to give credit when it’s due.

i feel like the last few years Bill the GM handicaped Bill the HC. And this year, I feel like Bill the GM has given Bill the HC the right tools (well except for the QB ;) )
I’m blaming Caserio as I mentioned you will sleep better at night to think the problem is in Houston now.
Right or wrong it feels good let’s give Beliwolfinger a chance to show they are elite drafters.

At QB I think we're likely - LIKELY mind you, and that's going out on a limb with BB's mind - but likely to shoot for the best value proposition, likely landing on the delta between last year's abysmal QB play and passable (no pun intended) QB play this year. In other words, if we get a QB that can play at a middle-of-the-pack level, with the upgrades up and down the roster elsewhere, we get a huge bang for the buck by improving to "decent" from "abysmal" in the passing game in 2020.

I think Bill holds out hope that Cam's reached bottom, but I don't see Bill as a wing-and-a-prayer type guy. I think he reserves enough clout to sign somebody middle of the pack as Cam insurance. Someone of Brisket '19 ability level (which might/might not be Brisket '21 -- just an example.) Not a guy who will set the world on fire, a guy who can (ugh) manage the game. Upside would be extra credit. I don't think Bill sets himself up to pay Golden Boy money unless he thinks he's really got The Guy, and that likely won't be this year.

I type this in full recognition that everything I say is always wrong, thereby guaranteeing a sure-fire, can't-miss QB acquisition which works out perfectly.

A 2021 drafted QB is not going to step in and start unless there is no other option
I hope that, if we draft a Qb in the first round and he is better than Cam in camp, he will play.

The Pats needed WR help. They signed two very good ones (not elite, but very good) in Nelson Agholor and Kendrick Bourne.
The Pats needed DT help. They signed Davon Godcheaux and Henry Anderson, both of whom are solid.
The Pats needed edge pass rushing help. They signed one of the best in Matt Judon.
The Pats added defensive backfield help in Jalen Mills, who immediately becomes one of their most versatile defenders.

The NFL added a 2021 third round pick (#96) and a 2021 fourth round pick (#139) as compensation for lost FAs in last year's offseason.
Dont'a Hightower and Patrick Chung have declared they will return, adding quality veterans to the defense.
They traded Marcus Cannon, who they were going to cut anyway, for cap space and improvements in three rounds in the upcoming draft.

On the whole...this has been an unbelievably great start to this offseason. Every single hole the Pats had got taken care of, without costing them any draft picks. They still have a ton of draft ammo, and even have a fair amount of cap space left for more moves.

This team has absolutely CRUSHED it so far. We are now on to Day 2. I don't expect a whole lot to happen from now til the draft, but who knows?
I think this is what we were all hoping for.

A 2021 drafted QB is not going to step in and start unless there is no other option.

So, if youre not all in on Cam, that means rolling with Jared Stiffman or finding a FA QB who you think is better and paying him more. FWIW, the Pats are linked to Jacoby Brisset returning and he is not better than Cam.
Rookie QBs start and do well all the time in the modern era. What are you even talking about?

Meanwhile 2020 Cam was a rotting corpse.

they are setting themselves up nicely before the draft. Filling some holes and being able to narrow in on some college talent to fill out the roster. Good position to be in and maybe moving up in the draft for a QB? who knows, but the Patriots are a better team this morning

The contract details so far show show a similar structure to past years, with a low first year salary to help even out the cash flow and keep the first year cap hit low. That means these deals are going to eat into the cap at a rate closer to 60-70% of yearly average, not the full yearly average. I think there could still be $25M in cap room left, plus the ability to make more if needed.

I’m still hoping NE finds another option at QB. But, I can’t believe BB is choosing Cam on hubris alone. I’m curious to see what the plan is - despite my reservations.

ok. so whats it gonna cost to swap picks with Cinci?
15/96 plus a middling pick next year or are we going 15 this year and 1st next year?

98.5 talking about Breer floating this: Pats sniffing around Fournette

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back