PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome To The Patriots Ronnie Perkins

He's not huge. Poor man's Jamie Collins? Interesting Steve Belichick met him. Maybe an edge guy if Winovich or Uche show to not be 3down players.

Run defense was the biggest defensive problem last year so hopefully Barmore and this kid help, plus the new FAs.

He's not huge. Poor man's Jamie Collins? Interesting Steve Belichick met him. Maybe an edge guy if Winovich or Uche show to not be 3down players.

Run defense was the biggest defensive problem last year so hopefully Barmore and this kid help, plus the new FAs.
I see him more as an undersized Trey Flowers, albeit one who plays more at OLB/DE (as you suggest) than DE/DT . Powerful against the run with strong hands that can shock OL and get pas rush success that way.

I like it. Someone between Perkins, Chase, and Uche will get some hustle sacks from their closing speed alone.

So with his size I'm guessing Perkins projects to convert to an outside rush linebacker who moves out to End on passing downs?
Olb and de are virtually the same position in our defense.

Non-stop motor, lots of energy and presence. Suspended for pot a few years back. Curious how many times he failed? Coaches have nothing but good things to say. Get the sense he's a football player through and through.

Can flatten to take the edge. Flexibility/bend is hit or miss but it's there in his ankles and core. When it's on he's dangerous. Decent long arm, clip/rip, stab/swipe, snatch. Does a really good job at reducing his surface when utilizing his length. Hit or miss speed to power.

+ backside, chase & pursuit. + recognition and instincts in the run game. Knows what's coming at him in terms of blocks.

Snap jumper with good but inconsistent first step. Relies a too much on guessing but when on he's a handful.

Very adapt, quick playing misdirection, eats up RPO, smart defender that was a read player on that stuff. Very good awareness and vision for what's coming and going on around him. Very good handling mobile QB's. Knifes gaps with ease. Good job utilizing length to stay clean, disengage and get off blocks. Especially when he's on point, he's on fire and on top of you in a hurry.

Familiar with manufacturing pressure off stunts and twist.

Has to develop inside counter or tune up his focus. Over pursuit is an issue at times. Eyes could be sharper.

30+ Sscks & TFL. Finish matters and he's done plenty of damage behind the los.

Not sure about his versatility. Absolutely yes on 43. 5, 6, 7 or 9. Has the tackling & range you want to play in a 34 but that's more iffy imo. I'll let the coaches handle that. Played on both sides.

He's an "in between" between the backers Bill has favored lately and the traditional ends like Flowers. 34 look with 43 style. Complete player in general terms that will really help with getting to the QB & defending against mobile QB's, QB's that extend - draw out plays on-near the edges (Wilson, Allen) & misdirection in the run game.
Lots of upside as a pass rusher if he can develop more of a plan and counter. He's not a great athlete with transcendent skills but he's got a fierce motor, length & lots toughness.

He means ability to get flat but Ben is like 16.

Such a sweet play. Splits the double and beats the puller.

Dane Brugler's summary:

A three-year starter at Oklahoma, Perkins was the field defensive end in defensive coordinator Alex Grinch’s multiple front, standing up or rushing with his hand on the ground. His 2020 season was disrupted by a six-game suspension for a failed drug test, but he started to heat up upon his return, producing 10.5 tackles for loss in only six games. With his length and heavy hands, Perkins attacks the chest of blockers, sticking, stabbing and keeping distance. He benefited from the Sooners’ slanting attack, but he can hit his landmarks as a rusher and his play strength and pursuit keep him near the football. Overall, Perkins must develop his rush plan and arsenal of moves, but he uses his power and balanced movements to free himself from blocks and make plays. He projects as an NFL starter in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme.

Dane Brugler's summary:

A three-year starter at Oklahoma, Perkins was the field defensive end in defensive coordinator Alex Grinch’s multiple front, standing up or rushing with his hand on the ground. His 2020 season was disrupted by a six-game suspension for a failed drug test, but he started to heat up upon his return, producing 10.5 tackles for loss in only six games. With his length and heavy hands, Perkins attacks the chest of blockers, sticking, stabbing and keeping distance. He benefited from the Sooners’ slanting attack, but he can hit his landmarks as a rusher and his play strength and pursuit keep him near the football. Overall, Perkins must develop his rush plan and arsenal of moves, but he uses his power and balanced movements to free himself from blocks and make plays. He projects as an NFL starter in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme.

So who gets bumped amongst Jennings, Uche, Winovich, Bentley ? I think Bentley. Starters are Hightower, Judon, Van Noy. Some of the younger guys are on the fringe now.

Last edited:
This could be easily one of the draft steels. Perkins has second rd value at a position where we needed someone. Great if he can Play the run on early downs. Our picks are really exciting

So who gets bumped amongst Jennings, Uche, Winovich, Wheatley ? I think Wheatley. Starters are Hightower, Judon, Van Noy. Some of the younger guys are on the fringe now.

Either that or they get "pushed" to excel, time for all of the young'uns to take this seriously and step it up. No one player is guaranteed his spot in the Patriots meritocracy..

Either that or they get "pushed" to excel, time for all of the young'uns to take this seriously and step it up. No one player is guaranteed his spot in the Patriots meritocracy..
I agree. Vets need to watch their backs.

My thoughts exactly. Big competition between this young man and Wino, Uche, to be first sub. Great teachers in KVN, Hightower, Judon. Very strong group.

Getting a bit of a Roman Phifer vibe when I read about Perkins. Very similar size (Perkins an inch taller).

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back