PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 5 NFL Games

The other defense does participate throughout the game. If neither is good enough to get the job done, you leave it up to a 50/50 chance which are about as good of odds as you'll get most avenues in life. If someone asked you if you wanted 50/50 odds that you will hit the Powerball, you'd take that in a minute. If by chance they don't win the coin toss, the defensive unit should do what it gets paid to do - stop the offense (assuming ST doesn't let up a huge return). If they can't, then they deserve to lose the game. But by all means, keep trying to find fairness in a game that is ultimately inherently unfair. We'll get to enjoy more ties.

I decided to look up the ties we've seen lately just to see if any of this conversation was worth even having:

This season:

Browns Vs Steelers- Neither team scored in overtime, so the changes had no impact.

Packers vs vikings- Neither team scored in overtime, in fact the vikings MISSED two field goals, so the changes had no impact.

Previous seasons I'll have to trust wikipedia List of NFL tied games - Wikipedia

since the change in 2012 games that resulted in a tie because of the sudden death rules were eliminated:

1 game in 2012
1 game in 2014
1 game in 2016

A total of Three ties as the result of OT no longer being sudden death in the span on 7 years

Honestly I don't think the rule changes have resulted in a large uptick in Ties, as the majority of ties continues to remain where neither team scores at all in overtime.

I decided to look up the ties we've seen lately just to see if any of this conversation was worth even having:

This season:

Browns Vs Steelers- Neither team scored in overtime, so the changes had no impact.

Packers vs vikings- Neither team scored in overtime, in fact the vikings MISSED two field goals, so the changes had no impact.

Previous seasons I'll have to trust wikipedia List of NFL tied games - Wikipedia

since the change in 2012 games that resulted in a tie because of the sudden death rules were eliminated:

1 game in 2012
1 game in 2014
1 game in 2016

A total of Three ties as the result of OT no longer being sudden death in the span on 7 years

Honestly I don't think the rule changes have resulted in a large uptick in Ties, as the majority of ties continues to remain where neither team scores at all in overtime.

Two of those ties were direct results of the new rules. You're also ignoring the fact that coaches will call things differently in the event of a sudden death overtime (i.e., they would be more aggressive) than they would when both offenses get the ball in the event of a FG.

Two of those ties were direct results of the new rules. You're also ignoring the fact that coaches will call things differently in the event of a sudden death overtime (i.e., they would be more aggressive) than they would when both offenses get the ball in the event of a FG.

1.) it was three games not two, and that's only 3 of 7 total in 7 years since the change.

2.) Teams were less aggressive imo, as they knew they only need to get into field goal range, then they would waste a play getting the ball to the correct hashmark. why be agressive and risk a turn over if all you need to do is hit a 40 yard field goal. I don't have the facts to back this up however.

complaining about ties because of the rule changes, at least this year don't hold water, since neither tie is a result of the rule changes, teams missed field goals, and never scored in OT.

Jesus Landry go out of bounds you idiot.

I see it all the time too. When a player should go out he stays in and when he should stay in he goes out. And how about Beckham letting a punt hit him in the foot down at the goal line for an easy TD? It's stuff like that that makes me appreciate the Pats even more.

Which brings me back to my initial statement. A coin flip and a field goal shouldn't be the deciding factor for a game.

Why not? If you lose the flip and allow the other team to score you earned the loss, no matter how it happened.

complaining about ties because of the rule changes, at least this year don't hold water, since neither tie is a result of the rule changes, teams missed field goals, and never scored in OT.

The rule change of a 10 min OT instead of a 15 min OT certainly seems to be a factor, though

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back