PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Week 12 PostGame Thread: NE Loses 10-7 to NYG

Immediate Postgame Reactions
The Pats babied Mac for Y1. You didn't notice? Josh and Bill changed the whole offense, short passes, "check down Mac". That was to help Mac slowly transition to NFL speed. For the last few games of Y1 and in Y2, the Pats asked Mac to start looking for his 2nd and 3rd reciever, including throwing the ball down field.
On the flip side, they also essentially took two of his top three weapons from Y1 away (benching Bourne because reasons, and making Henry useless), and, again, saddled him with likely the worst OC in at least a decade.

Honestly at this point, what would it hurt to throw in Cunningham? It's not like we stand any chance of making the playoffs! At least it would be more fun than watching paint dry or watching Mac Jones throw yet another "Mac-Ception"!
To be frank, that mini stint as QB during the preseason, I'm surprised he didn't get a season ending injury. He was getting walloped in such a short amount of time. That being said, I'd rather have him as backup QB next week with Mac as emergency. We all know how this will go though. Practice superstar Mac will win the starting job even though he had just gone 24 straight drives without the team scoring a TD and Zap came in, and they scored one right away.

I don't think you get the point. Did Belichick do everything purposefully to try to ruin Mac Jones? No. Did most of his actions play a big role in ruining the guy? Yes. No. It wasn't intentional to ruin him. It was done in reckless disregard of the development and success of Jones. Although the way he handled the QB controversy could have been intentional.

After I note that you are prone to exaggeration and hyperbole, you write "It was done with reckless disregard". Haha. Too funny. You can not help yourself, you have a need to greatly exaggerate.

Did you hear Ty Law's latest comments on BB on the Greg Hill show? Other than during contract negotiations, Ty said BB is "dope". BB is not intentionally ruining any player. Mac was babied in Y1, Cam was let go so that he did not unintentionally intimidate Mac, BB kept asking coaches to not scream at Mac, on and on and on. Everything was done to make Mac comfortable, and late in Y1 and in Y2, the coaching staff asked Mac to step up.

Did you see Mac complaining about Gesicki on two overthrows. What QB does that? Openly blames his recievers on national TV? No QB does that. I am not sure any team will sign Mac after the Pats let him go - Mac must have an awful reputation around the league.

How do you all think Belichick will handle Caleb Williams crying in his mothers arms and cuddling with his dog during training camp?
I dont want him because of his size and the whole want team equity thing. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with crying after losing. Shows how bad he wants to win.

Absolutely despise when I see players laughing it up after a loss.

We will beat NY Jets. Also could see us beating Pittsburgh and hear me out. That offense isn’t good and our defense is pretty good. I could see us winning that one like 9-7 lol. Steelers struggle to put up points too.

3-14 with 4-13 being our best record possible this season imo.
Steelers gained over 400 yards today!
I don’t see Pitt losing at home on a short week with a chance to be in the playoffs.
Chargers will score 20 or more so nope there, Denver at Denver no way, KC and at Buf no way
so Jets game is only one maybe but last game of the year and if a loss means top 2 pick I think they might find a way to lose.

I already said Mac lacked the mental toughness to handle it. That is on Mac Jones.

But if any coach or GM wants a case study of what not to do with a young QB, you would be hard pressed to find a better case study than how Belichick and the Patriots handled Mac Jones after his rookie season.

"But is any coach ro GM wants a case study" - Haha - more hyperbole. You should ask yourself why exaggerating is part of your personality.

Unfortunately, it seems that Jerod Mayo is going to be the guy. Nothing against him. He may end up being a great head coach. My problem is he is defensive minded and may just be a continuation of Belichick and his philosophies on how a team should be made up. And I think I would rather have a great offensive mind who realizes that top end talent is far more important than in the past and one of the most talented players at their position on your team shouldn't be the gunner.
The problem with Mayo is the same as BOB/Patricia/Judge and even McDaniels as a Broncos coach. It's this team living in the past and wanting the comfort of someone associated with an old regime that isn't working anymore and that the league has passed by. 2014-2018 might as well be an eternity ago in the NFL. We can't keep recyling guys because they are connected to something that WAS great when we need to be looking for what will be the next great thing. It's more uncomfortable, but let's be real, if you think Belichick doesn't work anymore.... idk why one of his disciples is supposed to be the answer.

A succession plan for Mayo or anyone else makes sense if you like the way things are going and want continuity. It stops making sense once you deem the current model over and done with and need a fresh start.

It's just asking for more mediocrity because ripping the bandaid off hurts. The longer we keep trying to tinker with reviving the past, the longer we are stuck in stasis.

Did you see Mac complaining about Gesicki on two overthrows. What QB does that? Openly blames his recievers on national TV? No QB does that. I am not sure any team will sign Mac after the Pats let him go - Mac must have an awful reputation around the league.
maybe det will sign him. i bet since he twists ankles and grabs balls,he'd bite a few kneecaps.:cool:

Again, they're down their top front 7 player and their top cornerback. It's a lot like 2013 when they lost Wilfork and Mayo in consecutive weeks.
This is true, but we also have to temper expectations and not give people flowers because they looked good against the worst team in the league. Devito burned them several times. Every team has been burning this defense on big plays. It's a weakness and has been one all year. Big deal we can hold the Giants and Colts to 10 with their back up QB's in the game... oh and I guess the Zach Wilson Jets. Dallas, New Orleans, Miami are dropping 30 on them. Good pass rushes are making the line look like swiss cheese. Bad pass rushes like today are still finding ways through and causing problems.

People keep looking for outliers to say one unit or the other is realy good and something else is at fault.

On the flip side, they also essentially took two of his top three weapons from Y1 away (benching Bourne because reasons, and making Henry useless), and, again, saddled him with likely the worst OC in at least a decade.
More excuses for Mac. The Mac excuses are always by the "hate BB guys". Mac sucks. Get over it. It is not on BB, or JM, or BOB. Mac sucks. @Triumph was right about Mac.

Did you see Mac complaining twice today about Gesicki? I hope the Pats cut Mac tomorrow. Showing up your teammate on national TV? Disgusting. That is absurd. After watching that, you still have a "flip side". LOL. Mac sucks. Hope you are never part of team at work - it will not end well.

He is goodish but was promised as generational. He is not.
He took the worst team in the league and they are on pace to win their division twice immediately after investing in some proper talent around him. He isn't lighting the world on fire, but they took a high ceiling low floor QB and followed the blueprint and are getting rewarded for it. We took what was supposed to be a high floor, low ceiling QB and decided he didn't need talent and watche the floor crumble and eventually break. We've seen the Jets do this a million times.

Lawrence is still clearly the franchise QB Jacksonville has been looking for and has changed the tide on their franchise. They can build off that.

After I note that you are prone to exaggeration and hyperbole, you write "It was done with reckless disregard". Haha. Too funny. You can not help yourself, you have a need to greatly exaggerate.

Did you hear Ty Law's latest comments on BB on the Greg Hill show? Other than during contract negotiations, Ty said BB is "dope". BB is not intentionally ruining any player. Mac was babied in Y1, Cam was let go so that he did not unintentionally intimidate Mac, BB kept asking coaches to not scream at Mac, on and on and on. Everything was done to make Mac comfortable, and late in Y1 and in Y2, the coaching staff asked Mac to step up.

Right, Brady never did that ;) Only difference is we knew Brady was probably right.

It is reckless disregard. If you put a OC with no offensive coaching experience in place and a QB coach in place that knows less about the position than a second year QB, that is reckless disregard. It is a classic definition of it,

Again, I never said that Belichick is purposely ruining Mac Jones. I am saying he makes decisions with personnel and coaching without any regard to how it might have affected Mac Jones. He put Patricia and Judge in place because it was best for Belichick because he feels comfortable with them and they came cheap. He didn't care if they were the wrong people for the development of Mac Jones.

Again, Mac Jones can be a head case AND the Belichick and the Patriots were a textbook case of how to ruin a young QB. It doesn't have to be an either or thing. Both things can be true.

BB absolutely needs to go. You can't be the sole producer of a steadily declining product for 5 years (the last of which you are at THE bottom of the industry) and not be fired.
The only question for the Krafts is who is best fit to take over.

BB absolutely needs to go. You can't be the sole producer of a steadily declining product for 5 years (the last of which you are at THE bottom of the industry) and not be fired.
The only question for the Krafts is who is best fit to take over.
Yeah it’s over.

The Pats babied Mac for Y1. You didn't notice? Josh and Bill changed the whole offense, short passes, "check down Mac". That was to help Mac slowly transition to NFL speed. For the last few games of Y1 and in Y2, the Pats asked Mac to start looking for his 2nd and 3rd reciever, including throwing the ball down field. That is how young QBs are slowly brought along. Mac is like Chuck Knoblauch. After today it is obvous. It is not on anyone other than Mac. Today after Mac overthrew Gesicki twice, he was blaming and motioning from the field at Gesicki. Who does that? Not a team player. Mac is a bust. It has nothing to do with BB or JM or BOB. They have tried everything. Mac is a head case.

Why do you feel the need to blame someone all the time?
Jones is now a bust. The coach and gm did not do anything to build a team around him. all they're acquisitions were on defense and special teams...and hunter Henry. not good enough in 2023.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back