Week 1 Betting Game

Dingleberry

A master debater and a cunning linguist
PatsFans.com Supporter
NFL Picks Grand Champ!
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I believe someone once ran a weekly betting game here (or was it somewhere else?). If there is enough interest, I would be willing to run this game through the season. Here would be the rules:

- Everyone begins with $50,000. You may bet some, all, or none of your money each week. Your bankroll based on what you win or lose will carry over to the next week.

- Rules are simple. You win or lose the exact amount you bet on each game. A push means you keep what you bet.

- Once you go bust, you are out. I could be talked into some sort of play in contest once we lose enough people though.

- Keep all bets no smaller than $100 increments.

- All bets (including Sun/Mon night games) must be made before the earliest weekend game kickoff. If you are betting a Thursday night game, bet it before kickoff. Please try to have all of your bets in one message for easier bookkeeping.

- If you decide to change your bets during the week, please quote your old message with a new message. I will likely accrue bets during the week and will not go back to check edited posts.

If there is interest, I am happy to run this for the season. Please make your bets in the following format:

Patriots (-3) $1000
Raiders (+4.5). $3000

***These are not my bets***

Bet away!

Week 1. Home team will be listed last.

Cowboys / Buccaneers (-8)
49ers / Lions (+7.5)
Cardinals / Titans (-3)
Jaguars / Texans (+3)
Jets / Panthers (-5.5)
Eagles / Falcons (-3)
Seahawks / Colts (+2.5)
Chargers / Redskins (+1)
Vikings / Bengals (+3)
Steelers / Bills (-6.5)
Dolphins / Patriots (-3)
Broncos / Giants (+3)
Packers / Saints (+4)
Browns / Chiefs (-6.5)
Bears / Rams (-7.5)
Ravens / Raiders (+4.5)

Last edited:
Falcons (-3) 1000
Packers (-4) 1000
Broncos (-3) 1000
Bengals (+3) 1000
Redskins (+1) 1000
Seahawks (2.5) 1000

Thanks for doing this. Seems fun. One idea is to let people buy a point for say 10% of their bet. So a $1000 bet cost you a $100 for the point. If people start betting stupid amounts like $1234 it round up to $150 so you don't spend your entire day in math class.

Eagles / Falcons (-3) 50,000

edit, I guess I should say I am picking the falcons to cover three

Last edited:
Ratbirds (-4.5) 1k
Pats (-3) 1k
Packers (-4) 1k
Titans (-3) 1k

thanks for doing this.

Falcons (-3) 1000
Packers (-4) 1000
Broncos (-3) 1000
Bengals (+3) 1000
Redskins (+1) 1000
Seahawks (2.5) 1000

Thanks for doing this. Seems fun. One idea is to let people buy a point for say 10% of their bet. So a $1000 bet cost you a $100 for the point. If people start betting stupid amounts like $1234 it round up to $150 so you don't spend your entire day in math class.

I tried to keep this as simple as possible for my sanity. I figured keeping the minimum betting increment as $100 should do the trick. So if someone bets $1234, I will be calling it $1200.

I thought about including O/U bets as well, but it seems overkill. And more work!

Patriots (-3)
Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

AKA...........5 big dimes.............50k..................$50,000.00

I decided to start gambling again this year for fun. I put in 200 bucks as my amount to play with for the year and I'll see where I stand at the end. I already placed one for tonight that i liked. O/U for OJ Howard to get 17.5 yards. I took the over. That amount averages out to less than 300 yards over a 17 game season. And after being injured last year I expect him to be fed a little tonight. He can easily get that on a single reception down the middle of the field.

Forgive the lack of gambling knowledge I just want to make sure I understand the shorthand. Dolphins/Patriots -3 means they expect the pats to win by 3 and Broncos/Giants +3 means they expect the broncos to win by 3? So to earn money the pats would have to win by at least 4?

Forgive the lack of gambling knowledge I just want to make sure I understand the shorthand. Dolphins/Patriots -3 means they expect the pats to win by 3 and Broncos/Giants +3 means they expect the broncos to win by 3? So to earn money the pats would have to win by at least 4?

Correct. If you took the Giants +3, if they win or lose by 2 (or less), you win.

@Ian I should have asked for your stamp of approval to do this game.

Tits (-3) 5k
Pats (-3) 2k
Ravens (+4.5) 1k

I believe someone once ran a weekly betting game here (or was it somewhere else?). If there is enough interest, I would be willing to run this game through the season. Here would be the rules:

- Everyone begins with $50,000. You may bet some, all, or none of your money each week. Your bankroll based on what you win or lose will carry over to the next week.

- Rules are simple. You win or lose the exact amount you bet on each game. A push means you keep what you bet.

- Once you go bust, you are out. I could be talked into some sort of play in contest once we lose enough people though.

- Keep all bets no smaller than $100 increments.

- All bets (including Sun/Mon night games) must be made before the earliest weekend game kickoff. If you are betting a Thursday night game, bet it before kickoff. Please try to have all of your bets in one message for easier bookkeeping.

- If you decide to change your bets during the week, please quote your old message with a new message. I will likely accrue bets during the week and will not go back to check edited posts.

If there is interest, I am happy to run this for the season. Please make your bets in the following format:

Patriots (-3) $1000
Raiders (+4.5). $3000

***These are not my bets***

Bet away!

Week 1. Home team will be listed last.

Cowboys / Buccaneers (-8)
49ers / Lions (+7.5)
Cardinals / Titans (-3)
Jaguars / Texans (+3)
Jets / Panthers (-5.5)
Eagles / Falcons (-3)
Seahawks / Colts (+2.5)
Chargers / Redskins (+1)
Vikings / Bengals (+3)
Steelers / Bills (-6.5)
Dolphins / Patriots (-3)
Broncos / Giants (+3)
Packers / Saints (+4)
Browns / Chiefs (-6.5)
Bears / Rams (-7.5)
Ravens / Raiders (+4.5)
These are what I have irl so far for NFL although #'s might differ a little. Each X 500
Oakland +4.5
Browns +6.5
Jete +5.5
Minne -3
Texans +3
GB -4
Tenn -3

Basically ... If this game were played in Balty, they'd be - 7.5? Same for Jags, if this was in Jax they'd be almost a TD fav? Those don't add up to me. Sometimes I'll look at it like that. I suck and haven't turned a profit in two years in the NFL/College though.

Last edited:
This seems like a lot of work for you but fun for us.

Queue the crackheads...in 3.2.1...
dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF

Buccaneers $25,000
49ers $25,000

These are what I have irl so far for NFL although #'s might differ a little.
Oakland +4.5
Browns +6.5
Jete +5.5
Minne -3
Texans +3
GB -4
Tenn -3

Basically ... If this game were played in Balty, they'd be - 7.5? Same for Mac, if this was in Jax they'd be almost a TD fav? Those don't add up to me. Sometimes I'll look at it like that. I suck and haven't turned a profit in two years in the NFL/College though.

I am just going to use the lines from sportsline.com each Wednesday. If the lines change by the weekend due to injuries, etc., the wise can take advantage in this game.

Don't forget to put the $$$$ for each bet!

Packers (-4) $50,000

Bucs (-8) $50K

Bucs (-8) $50k

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing