PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Will Need A Veteran Starter Even With a First Round Draftee

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
PLAN: Draft one of 6 QB's that will likely be drafted in the first half of the first round
==================
AND THEN WHAT?
When would you expect the draftee to start. Even if he starts Game One (not my choice), we'd need to get a secure a veteran transition starter for a couple of years.
===================
WHO WOULD YOU EXPECT TO GET?
Might we trade for someone like Fields?
I expect that such a starter will cost about $15M a year, perhaps less for a trade, but then there would be draft compesation.

PLAN: Draft one of 6 QB's that will likely be drafted in the first half of the first round
==================
AND THEN WHAT?
When would you expect the draftee to start. Even if he starts Game One (not my choice), we'd need to get a secure a veteran transition starter for a couple of years.
===================
I expect that such a starter will cost about $15M a year, perhaps less for a trade, but then there would be draft compesation.
If we trade for Fields we aren’t picking a QB until the second or third round. In the event that we go that route, which I’m pretty firmly against it would involve trading down, acquiring early picks to target OT and WR later in the first and second rounds. We’d need to get Fields and double dip for our other two critical positional needs.

I don’t know the logistics of how that will work or which other picks the Bears have though.

Zappe can be the team punching bag for a year while the newly drafted rookie learns

i'm not even convinced he's in camp; conversely, i expect mac IN camp

and a veteran of some sort as well

If we trade for Fields we aren’t picking a QB until the second or third round. In the event that we go that route, which I’m pretty firmly against it would involve trading down, acquiring early picks to target OT and WR later in the first and second rounds. We’d need to get Fields and double dip for our other two critical positional needs.

I don’t know the logistics of how that will work or which other picks the Bears have though.
Why would the Patriots trade for Fields who will cost over $35-40 million per season and he hasn't even figured himself out. That makes no sense.

Why would the Patriots trade for Fields who will cost over $35-40 million per season and he hasn't even figured himself out. That makes no sense.
Like I said, I’m not for it. Just entertaining OP’s post.

There are plenty of jag qbs out there that the patriots can sign as a caretaker.

They also need some OT help and WR help from FA

Option 1 - Go after Cousins, draft a 2nd rounder/Rourke to learn for 2 years
Option 2 - Get bridge FA (Browning, Minshew, Dobbs), draft Daniels/Nix
Option 3 - Go big - draft Williams & pray.

==================
AND THEN WHAT?
===================
??

Fields will be getting a lot of money and he's better than all the draftees anyway except for Caleb Williams, so I'm not sure what this accomplishes.

He will be worth a lot in terms of draft picks anyway.

If you trader for Fields, he's your QB.

There are plenty of jag qbs out there that the patriots can sign as a caretaker.

They also need some OT help and WR help from FA
What's the OT help?
I looked up FAs and there is almost nothing there.
WRs yes.

Because he's actually really good, has good experience already, and the money thing means almost nothing now when your top rookie QBs are redoing contracts after 2 years to the tune of $50m per. If anything, Fields may be just a little more expensive than those guys (i.e. rookie $15m, $15m, $50m +) versus ($35m, $35m, $35m).

Because he's actually really good, has good experience already, and the money thing means almost nothing now when your top rookie QBs are redoing contracts after 2 years to the tune of $50m per. If anything, Fields may be just a little more expensive than those guys (i.e. rookie $15m, $15m, $50m +) versus ($35m, $35m, $35m).
I would give a third and Mac to get Fields

Fields is not a good passer. He is what people accused Lamar of being - a RB disguised as a QB.

No thanks.

It's quite rare that a 1st round rookie QB succeeds as 1st year starter AND LASTS to second contract.
In the last 10 seasons - Allen, Murray, Herbert - that's it! Out of 29 QBs.
(Mahomes, Tua, Burrow, Lawrence) - didn't start week 1. But even count them as year 1 starters.
That's 7 out of 29. About 1 in 4.

I agree we'll need to get a. vet in before the draft. You can't go into the draft just hoping you can snag a day one starter.

Option 1: trying to get back to relevancy in 2024 - sign Cousins (and draft Harrison/OT at 3) or trade for Fields. Complicated by Cousins injury. Draft developmental QB on day 2 or 3.
Option 2: Bridge starter for a year: Brissett, Jimmy G or another vet to hold the fort until a day 1 or early day 2 QB is ready.
Option. 3: Go all in on a QB in the top 3. Likely required a veteran presence in training camp who knows the system at the very least. Again points to Brissett or maybe.....Mac.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back