PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are on to Kansas City...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My break down:

- The Chiefs will be trotting out McCoy, Darwin Thompson, and maybe even Spencer Ware. For some reason, they don't want to over use McCoy. And like someone alluded in this thread...Kareem Hunt always near killed us....and ditto with Damien Williams and those pick plays in the AFC title game last year. Damien Williams might miss this game with sore ribs...not sure. So, I expect the Chiefs to pass more...maybe a 60/40 ratio.

- The strength of our defense is the secondary....so we have the tools to shut down the KC passing offense...err...SOMEWHAT. Have Gilly lock down one of their WR's not named Tyreek Hill.....slap Chung on Kelce. And put one guy with help over the top on Tyreek Hill all game.

- If the secondary does what it is supposed to do...then we need to keep Mahomes contained to the pocket...he's still an incredible pocket passer, but we don't want broken down plays where the WR's go in scramble mode. We want to force Mahomes to make passes from the pocket so our secondary can do its thing....throws into tight windows will be made...but they are better than big plays off scrambles.

- Also, I am interested to see if the refs will make calls on those mesh/pick plays the Chiefs like to run.

- On offense....JUST RUN THE DAMN BALL. Get Michel in a goddamn rhythm.... and can we try MORE BUBBLE SCREENS to Michel too? I liked how we ran White out of the backfield last week too....more of that too...stop being predictable. And someone here in some thread made a great point about using Bolden more....Bolden is basically our only two dimensional RB.

- And I am starting to think why we even bother with a TE? If a TE isn't gonna to run routes and get open...why not just put Newhouse out there and play 12 personnel with 6 OL-men.....and two WR's lined up on the strong side. But what do I know? I am an armchair QB here.......not McD.

- And I am starting to think why we even bother with a TE? If a TE isn't gonna to run routes and get open...why not just put Newhouse out there and play 12 personnel with 6 OL-men.....and two WR's lined up on the strong side. But what do I know? I am an armchair QB here.......not McD.

I'd suggest checking out the replay or A22 and focus on LaCosse.

When he got a chance to go (11 out of 52 snaps he was on routes) he was more often than not open. He even got doubled in the RZ. The majority of time when he had to stay in he blocked surprisingly well.

He is getting a bad rep because he wasn't healthy until recently. Obviously he is not Gronk but if he can stay healthy he looks like a competent TE with a bit of upside.

There was significant improvement from the first game to the second game. KC's offensive numbers were down across the board, despite the fact that they were playing at home. I expect an even bigger improvement this time around, given the state of that KC offense - the OL, in particular - and with how well this defense has performed for the most part this season, especially at home. The last two games KC has played in Foxboro they had Hunt, who absolutely killed us. They don't have that luxury anymore.

Are you expecting a shootout? I don't see it.

One possible takeaway from those two games is that you figured out how stop us. But that would ignore the 2nd half of the last game when you could not.

I don't know if I expect a shootout, but i'd be more surprised if you hold us to 15 or under than I would if we scored 25 or more. I would not be surprised if the score was 28-21 or 21-28. But who knows. It's two good teams in a meaningful game for both. Two good coaches, two good quarterbacks. It should be fun to watch.

could be. But we have seen experienced DCs here give up 3rd and longs consistently over the years and this is the best defense we have in a while.

:D:D:D

When he got a chance to go (11 out of 52 snaps he was on routes) he was more often than not open. He even got doubled in the RZ. The majority of time when he had to stay in he blocked surprisingly well.

He is getting a bad rep because he wasn't healthy until recently. Obviously he is not Gronk but if he can stay healthy he looks like a competent TE with a bit of upside.

I saw some of A22 replays myself and Chatham/Lazar's stuff too....

The thing I see is that we are struggling with the TE/LB playing a H-back role and look awkward blocking on the move. So, why not just 6 OL-men that don't move...just run it between the tackles?

Again, just an arm chair QB here.....so pardon my ignorance.

The thing I see is that we are struggling with the TE/LB playing a H-back role and look awkward blocking on the move. So, why not just 6 OL-men that don't move...just run it between the tackles?

Interesting. Can you point me to 1-2 of those plays so I can see in motion what you mean ?

I saw some of A22 replays myself and Chatham/Lazar's stuff too....

Again, just an arm chair QB here.....so pardon my ignorance.

I'm also supremely unqualified to answer this, but that's never stopped me before! I think the 6 OL technique is a bit of a specialty draw. Obviously for goal line situations or one offs, it works, but if we're talking about using it as a regular strategy throughout a game, I think you need to be playing a particularly small (and bad) defense. The Colts teams that we slaughtered on the ground with 6 OL were just that, AND they were probably playing even slightly smaller because most teams aren't going to dare Brady to beat them by beefing up for the run.

I think we could utilize it a bit, but the passing game has to earn back some respect, otherwise I don't see it as an advantage. It declares even further what we intend to do.

Meh some of the defensive schemes against the texans was baffling. They played some zone which is not our strong suit. I still trust the defense in the playoffs but this offense has to get going.

You are aware that we are playing roughly 60% of snaps in man and not like 95% right ?

What was baffling to you ? Please be a bit specific.. would love to check that out on tape.

I watched the game live and haven’t rewatched it, but it seemed like their zero blitz concept was used stubbornly often against Watson despite it being clear the entire game that it wasn’t a good concept. Obviously the plays that stand out were back-to-back end zone catches (one ruled incomplete, the other a TD) but I believed they were burned on it other times too. A lot of blitzing on Watson, who was able to immediately figure out the best 1-on-1 matchup, as the Texans have a deeper group of receivers. I thought from early on in the game, also, they should have taken Gilmore off of Hopkins and put him on Fuller while doubling Hopkins instead. It turned out to be not such a huge deal, but Hopkins is one a few receivers who Gilmore can’t cover alone. Seems like they were constantly sending the dogs after Watson, who is a quick decision maker, rather than just sticking to dominant coverage, which has worked just fine against many other teams. Not sure if the J. McCourty injury factored into this.

But scheme was only part of the problem; they didn’t execute very well and uncharacteristically missed some key tackles, which is just part of the game and happens to every team. Perhaps the flu had some effect on their strength and endurance.

Last edited:

I have to admit that LaCosse has been playing better....albeit very average. His blocking has been ok...which I never thought would happen. I'm looking forward to more of the same or better from him.

Last edited:
I watched the game live and haven’t rewatched it, but it seemed like their zero blitz concept was used stubbornly often against Watson despite it being clear the entire game that it wasn’t a good concept. Obviously the plays that stand out were back-to-back end zone catches (one ruled incomplete, the other a TD) but I believed they were burned on it other times too. A lot of blitzing on Watson, who was able to immediately figure out the best 1-on-1 matchup, as the Texans have a deeper group of receivers. I thought from early on in the game, also, they should have taken Gilmore off of Hopkins and put him on Fuller while doubling Hopkins instead. It turned out to be not such a huge deal, but Hopkins is one a few receivers who Gilmore can’t cover alone. Seems like they were constantly sending the dogs after Watson, who is a quick decision maker, rather than just sticking to dominant coverage, which has worked just fine against many other teams. It sure if the J. McCourty injury factored into this.

But scheme was only part of the problem; they didn’t execute very well and uncharacteristically missed some key tackles, which is just part of the game and happens to every team. Perhaps the flu had some effect on their strength and endurance.
the pressure did not get there fast enough most of the time..

Simms thinks brady is a stats guy now !

Interesting. Can you point me to 1-2 of those plays so I can see in motion what you mean ?

Let me look around on line. I see that on the DVR. If I can't see it online will give you down/distance/game clock/etc..and someone can pull from A22?

I'm also supremely unqualified to answer this, but that's never stopped me before! I think the 6 OL technique is a bit of a specialty draw. Obviously for goal line situations or one offs, it works, but if we're talking about using it as a regular strategy throughout a game, I think you need to be playing a particularly small (and bad) defense. The Colts teams that we slaughtered on the ground with 6 OL were just that, AND they were probably playing even slightly smaller because most teams aren't going to dare Brady to beat them by beefing up for the run.

I think we could utilize it a bit, but the passing game has to earn back some respect, otherwise I don't see it as an advantage. It declares even further what we intend to do.

But doesn't it force the D to put on slower players? 6 OL with 2rb's in a pro formation...and a LB has to cover White if he runs a wheel route?

Again, I am an idiot that plays a five wide offense on Madden just because I like it.

The point is that people have not learned anything from last year where the team was declared dead and how that year just "felt different" after losing the Steelers game and falling to 9-5. Only to win a title about 2 months later.

Instead we get to hear the same old stories repeated this year when after falling to 10-2 everything is over and a championship impossible. Because THIS TIME IT IS DIFFERENT.

The irony is that 90% of posters get outraged about the annual Kellerman statement about Brady and the cliff but don't realize their own annual Kellerman moments. There is no ribbon or banner for being the first one to call the correct ending to their run.
And you could do the exact same exercise the other way around, pointing out times that some of the board's bigger homers refused to acknowledge the flaws that did, in fact, end up ending the Pats' season. And whatever poster felt the need to take a weird victory lap over that and call out everyone who had the audacity to be incorrect would be engaging in an equally pointless circlejerk.

Everyone who's been here for more than a few minutes has been wrong from time to time, and nobody really claims otherwise. That's what makes the whole thing so dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back