PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are On To Atlanta....

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was 15 years ago when you could actually touch the receivers. Now almost every time there is an incomplete pass there is a flag thrown for PI.

Atlanta is healthy (unlike the Steelers) and I don't see how the pats can stop them.

I thought the same thing about Pitt after the Texans game. The Pats offense looked terrible but now are back to looking great again. The Atlanta D is not great so I think the Pats offense should be able to move the ball.
I also think GB's defense was terrible. The one person you have to account for it Jones and he was running free all game. I doubt the Pats will let him do that.

One thing I noticed about the falcons is they jump all over you early. It's gonna be a tough one, Julio Jones is a nightmare. It's gonna be a difficult game for the pats, just like all their previous superbowls.

One thing I noticed about the falcons is they jump all over you early. It's gonna be a tough one, Julio Jones is a nightmare. It's gonna be a difficult game for the pats, just like all their previous superbowls.

Agreed. Atlanta definitely has the advantage on offense. This is the type of game Gronk will be missed most. Green Bay was a better matchup.

Last edited:
That was 15 years ago when you could actually touch the receivers. Now almost every time there is an incomplete pass there is a flag thrown for PI.

Atlanta is healthy (unlike the Steelers) and I don't see how the pats can stop them.

The same principle still remains: make them one-dimensional. We will take away Julio Jones and, I think, allow Freeman to run (but not to receive). This takes out their play-action which is their bread and butter.

Clearly not going to hold them to zero points, and neither do we have to do that. All we have to do is make them one dimensional enough so that they score under 30, because they are 1-5 when they score 30 or less.

Second time in recent years we had a chance for a green bay patriots SB and GB choked both times.

Ppl saying that Pitt lost Bell early and Atl shut down GB untill was over (True). But, let's get all facts straight.

GB lost 7 players during the game, plus Jordy and Adams that were clearly hurt. Green Bay lost defensive backs Kentrell Brice and Micah Hyde, running back Ty Montgomery, linebacker Jake Ryan and three starting offensive linemen – guards Lane Taylor and Lang, and right tackle Bulaga – to injuries during the game.

GB had no RB ( Michael is a joke). And 3 OL got hurt.

First half GB missed a FG and fumbled for a touchback (IMO Ball should be down at the one yard line).

The game was ''only'' 10-0 ( so 3 points - FG missed + 3/7 from the strip). The game could be tied and the second half's ball would be GB's.

I know the Atl S or CB was great, and the strip is his merit, but again let's not pretend that GB's lack of RB plus the a pile of injuries during and before the game - and the couple of TO - didn't play a major role in the outcome.

When Atl face a top 5 D: They faced 2... Both held them under 25 points.
6 - 15: They played against KC and TB(15). 29, 24 and 43.

So against real D they had one good game ...

When our D faced a top 15 O:
Steelers (2x) 16, 17 (garbage time TD) +Bills (2x) 16, 25 ( garbage time TD 0:30 left 4th quarter) + Arizona 21, so 15.8 when our D is still competing...

You cannot underestimate big game experience. Think about the Broncos last year vs. a similarly explosive offense that destroyed teams up until the Super Bowl. It's vastly different atmosphere, and the Falcons simply do not have that kind of experience. Now there is a chance that this will not matter much, but I expext the opposite.

The better match-up would have been Green Bay. By far and away. When you have two very good pass catching RB's going against a defense with no LBs that can cover, it'll be a long day for that defense. The Pats can move the ball on the Falcons too, though. They may have to win in a shoot out.

Disagree Kontra: Rodgers extends plays with his feet and can also throw it 80yds on a rope there is only so much a Defense can do... thank you Atlanta. Matt Ryan is no Aaron Rodgers I am not scared of their Offense one bit hope Ryan loves dump offs. Other than Tom Brady...Aaron Rodgers is the only QB I fear in Today's NFL.

Disagree Kontra: Rodgers extends plays with his feet and can also throw it 80yds on a rope there is only so much a Defense can do... thank you Atlanta. Matt Ryan is no Aaron Rodgers I am not scared of their Offense one bit hope Ryan loves dump offs. Other than Tom Brady...Aaron Rodgers is the only QB I fear in Today's NFL.

Green Bay had the worst secondary left in the playoffs, injuries on the OL, no RB, and WR1 and WR2 banged up. Had they somehow made it, they were the better match-up on the defensive side of the ball.

Green Bay had the worst secondary left in the playoffs, injuries on the OL, no RB, and WR1 and WR2 banged up. Had they somehow made it, they were the better match-up on the defensive side of the ball.

Strange things happen in SB's like we beating the unstoppable Rams we losing to the Giants twice and Denver winning it all without a QB than can throw 5 yards down field...what does that tell you? That's why we play the games.:) The GOAT always puts us in a position to win.:cool:

Last edited:
Strange this happen in SB's like we beating the unstoppable Rams we losing to the Giants twice and Denver winning it all without a QB than cannot throw 5 yards down field...what does that tell you? That's why we play the games.:) The GOAT always puts us in a position to win.:cool:
Oh offensively I like this match-up. Make no mistake about that. My concerns are on the defensive side of the ball and matching up with those two backs.

Shall we also not forget that this game will not be played in the Georgia Dome which has been a tremendous HFA for the Falcons. That, and their lack of experience in the big game, may tip the scale in our favor.

I watched both of the Falcons playoff games and I can't say that the Packers game showed me much because the Packers were so beat up. I actually thought the game was almost unwatchable. But the game against the Seahawks was at least somewhat competitive (the Seahawks also had numerous injuries). The thing I noticed was that the Falcons offense looks a lot like the Patriots offense. So that made me think of the Giants/Patriots playoff games with the Patriots defense playing the part of the Giants. With Wilfork gone, I'm not sure that the Patriots have the personnel to pull it off; although they do have some big bodies. If they can get Ryan off of his spot, they might be able to disrupt their offense some.

I like our secondary and I think they'll do a decent job vs their WRs. Covering their RBs in the passing game will be much more difficult. Getting physical with their skill players will be a must, but above all else, they'll need to put a lot of pressure on Ryan.

Atlanta's OL has been very good in run blocking, and good but not great in pass protection. They're fairly weak at guard, where Chris Chester has been a big liability at times. If the Pats can exploit this and bring interior pressure on Ryan, that will go a long way to limiting that offense. I also think that they'll try to confuse their OL and Matt Ryan, like they did at times vs Baltimore and Denver with those DL shifts.

I'm sure Bill will come up with a great gameplan to slow down their offense. People talk about NE's weak schedule, but Atlanta's only real impressive win in the regular season came in Oakland in a shootout between two good offenses and subpar defenses. In the postseason they faced two very beat up 10 win teams.

big challenge stopping that passing game. there isnt just one great receiver there are three that would be number one receivers on other teams.

but I do think the defensive line of the steelers and houston is better than atlanta's so the pats should be able to move the ball.

I can see the pats devising a plan to slow down atlanta's offense, they have done it before, but make no mistake that is one of the most explosive offenses ever.

Maybe I'm crazy but I am very confident in the Pats winning this game. Sure the Falcons offense is great but the defense has shown nothing to indicate that they can't at least hold them to a sufficient score. Great offenses do not always win out in the Super Bowl, as we and the Broncos know full well.

We just need the offense to take care of business, score thirty and I think it's ours. That is very doable.

Our team is experienced, we've been here before and won. They are a mentally tough group. Brady has the utmost determination to win this game. He's been here seven times.

I would not be shocked if this is finally the Super Bowl where the Patriots light it up and win by double digits. They've got this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back