PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Waters' Locker Cleaned Out (Update: Reports Nameplate Taken Down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too much speculation based on very little fact.

I find it interesting that neither Waters nor his agent have had anything to say publicly. In past standoffs, we most always heard some comment from such sources. This really is a different situation.

The dog that didn't bark. Were I wicked smaaht like Holmes, I'd draw a conclusion.

Last edited:
Wait, so what does this mean about all the criticism here based on something that never happened?

Many will follow the Felger method: Jump to a conclusion, and even after it's proven false (or at least shown to have no basis), they'll just keep trotting out the same "evidence". All day yesterday, even after Bedard basically told them the facts of the report weren't accurate, Felger's only opinion was, "Yeah, but, the Pats asked him to take a pay cut which is ridiculous." True facts are not as important as first impressions it seems.

Too simple isn't a denial that a pay cut wasn't asked for. This team has always had it's own way of spinning contractual terms. Just ask Wes. His two year $16M offer was really a 3 year $18.5M offer... You could ask Logan too. Or lots of guys for that matter. They offered to make Adam the highest paid kicker in the league on a year to year basis, only if he slipped on the soap the next day getting out of the shower they were on the hook for nothing. That is why he landed in Indy where they guaranteed him $7.5M on a 5 year deal.

I wasn't kidding last week when I said Brady better watch his back. Mallet may not be nearly as good, but he's younger and cheaper.

You would prefer they throw money around like a drunken sailor?

Many will follow the Felger method: Jump to a conclusion, and even after it's proven false (or at least shown to have no basis), they'll just keep trotting out the same "evidence". All day yesterday, even after Bedard basically told them the facts of the report weren't accurate, Felger's only opinion was, "Yeah, but, the Pats asked him to take a pay cut which is ridiculous." True facts are not as important as first impressions it seems.

That was the most glaring part of Felger's hatchet job. He kept on commenting how ridiculous it was for the Patriots to ask him to take a paycut as was being reported, but didn't come to the obvious conclusion that maybe it was so ridiculous because it wasn't true. For him, whether or not to believe an improbable rumor comes down to how controversial it is.

That was the most glaring part of Felger's hatchet job. He kept on commenting how ridiculous it was for the Patriots to ask him to take a paycut as was being reported, but didn't come to the obvious conclusion that maybe it was so ridiculous because it wasn't true. For him, whether or not to believe an improbable rumor comes down to how controversial it is.

Felger is also a big union guy I think, which means unless the evidence is glaring against them, he'll always side with a player over a team/owner. Throw in his well known opinions on the salary cap, and it's impossible to convince him that the Patriots shouldn't just give Waters more money no matter what the situation is.

So why doesn't he just retire?

Maybe he hopes the Pats cut or trade him so he can play close to home in Dallas or Houston. Maybe he is hoping the Pats' oline is a disaster tomorrow and the Pats offer him a massive pay bump. Who knows.

Quite a few players don't retire right away. There are tons of possible reasons why he hasn't retired.

Felger is also a big union guy I think, which means unless the evidence is glaring against them, he'll always side with a player over a team/owner. Throw in his well known opinions on the salary cap, and it's impossible to convince him that the Patriots shouldn't just give Waters more money no matter what the situation is.

Most of the media in this town get nothing from the team themselves so they have to look player/agent friendly in order to have access. Its a simple case of "follow the money".

That's exactly right, my Italian friend. I happened to catch the interview Felger had with Bedard on the radio and your description is right on the money.

Bedard tried in vein on several occasions to explain to Felger that the Pats were not cutting his salary only changing the structure, and this wasn't a new event. That it had been an agreed to fact of life for months. Felger didn't want to hear it. He simply chose to ignore the facts and continue to run with the original speculation that the Pats had punitively and capriciously decided to cut Waters pay.

Here's what pisses me off.....and its not Felger. He is who he is. His self described DB persona has gotten him far in this market (for some unknown reason), so why deviate now. The Herald un-story allowed him to go where he likes it the best...in full righteous indignation mode. Who cares if the FACTS don't match the story. It wouldn't be as interesting if he went with the truth. The truth wouldn't have been as good radio.

What pisses me off is how the a half truth was spun out to the rest of the media and the speculation is again being reported as FACT. And worse yet, as the truth is finally being leaked out, there will be absolutely NO consequences to the reporter who felt it was more important to be first with the story than get it right, and all the rest of the cattle who continued the disinformation even when they had to know they didn't have the full story.

Without any consequences there isn't any reason for them to go out today and not do it again. There are no apologies, no mea culpaes. Not even 'an excuse me'

Now correct me if I'm wrong. The facts are that the Pats worked out a deal with Waters that would allow him to skip all of the off season conditioning, the OTA, and TC, and still come back before the season and make an mutually agreed upon amount of money plus incentives. (whatever those numbers are)

That at some point Waters was finding it more difficult to pull himself away from his family. He may or may not have asked for money. The Pats may or may not have offered him more. But the Bottom line was the Pats had every reason to expect him back around the beginning of September and at the last minute Waters got cold feet.

That's where we stand right now, except the Pats are getting pissed and Waters STILL hasn't let anyone know exactly what HE wants and where he stands. H have I got at least that part right?

Everything else like pressure being put on Waters by the Pats or pressure put on the Pats by Waters is pure speculation now.....and hopefully will be reported as such.....for a change :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Everything after the ellipses, I agree 100 percent with. There are many in front of me in that line, however.

As for the first portion, I often use a phrase to describe myself, "Often wrong, but never in doubt..." You're pretty damn smart though. So in your case and in this instance I'll rachet it back to "sometimes wrong but never in doubt."

I don't think so. Doesn't surprise me you still don't see that and will cling to your version of the story dispite it's being fairly debunked in short order. After all, in the long run it served it's purpose. Made you relevant enough to land on your feet with Comcast... I just wish your trade hadn't become so competitive and ratings driven. I miss solid reporting as opposed to breaking news and everyone who didn't mounting tortured counter spin on it. And say hi to Jonathan for me. ;)

Here's what pisses me off.....and its not Felger. He is who he is. His self described DB persona has gotten him far in this market (for some unknown reason), so why deviate now.
Felger has turned into a contrarian. Controversy sells! It's all about ratings, truth be damned!

I don't think the Pats' Super Bowl chances will be determined by a guard. Let's move on.

Mr Felger, meet Holy McClane. Pow, right in the kisser.

Last edited:
Ok, so with better Guard play we wouldn't have had a better chance at winning?

Light and Kazcur were getting beat often. I doubt it. I'll say, in that game, the RG (I forget who he was; It wasn't Neal) played a lot better than the rest of group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results