PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was Moss still dictating coverages? BB says no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Patriots coach Bill Belichick offers some insight into how defenses changed the way they played Randy Moss

And he insinuated that defenses hadn’t been doubling Moss as much as we thought.

“I don’t know, I’d say there has been less of that since time has gone on,” Belichick said. “So, they’ll have to defend some other guys, we’ll see how they choose to do it.”

And “less of that” means…

“I think teams have been playing more of what they play, less specific coverages for a specific player — Wes, Randy,” he continued. “Not that we don’t see them, just I’d say less, a lower frequency.”

This kind of matches my feelings on the matter - and I'd want to lean on some of those here who can diagnose X's and O's in a way I cannot. (Heck, it's hard enough to tell what coverages are on the TV tape even if you do know what you're looking at...)

But, to my pedestrian eyes, it looks like we're in a division with some elite cornerbacks. Again, it looks like the coverages we're facing from the Jets or Phins for instance are not necessarily dictated by Moss, save for Moss drawing said elite corner. Mainly - and someone with a football background correct me if I'm wrong - we're seeing with the Jets a lot of man with a single-high safety. With the Phins it seemed to be predominantly a lot of 2 deep coverage, again, often with man coverage underneath. There did not appear to be a specific rolling of coverage to Moss' side. I don't see either of those suddenly changing tremendously when we go spread against these teams without Moss. (And again, football gurus, correct me if I'm wrong, and feel free to convert the above into more appropriate football-speak).

So how much of an impact was Moss really making? How dramatically will the defenses we face look? I would wager it's a little overstated.

Last edited:
Re: Was Moss still dictacting coverages? BB says no.

So how much of an impact was Moss really making? How dramatically will the defenses we face look? I would wager it's a little overstated.

We'll see during the next few games. :confused2:

I just want to make sure that everyone who claimed BB is a bold faced liar when he says he had no disciplinary issues with Moss be consistent and claim BB is a bold faced liar here.

But yes, Moss 2010 < Moss 2007.

I just want to make sure that everyone who claimed BB is a bold faced liar when he says he had no disciplinary issues with Moss be consistent and claim BB is a bold faced liar here.

Anyone who has followed BB at all will tell you he is FAR more likely to be forthcoming about Xs and Os than he is about disciplinary issues.

Moss is a one trick pony. Run straight and see if the zone responsibility breaksdown. He certainly wasn't outrunning most DBs during man coverage. He can't make cuts, so his sole function was clearing out the middle of the field. They gave up sending Moss on slants because he doesn't break tackles and was more likely to fall to the ground before contact.

Agreed. This is what it boiled down to for me as well.

I take Brady and Belichick at face value when they give Moss' character, attitude and leadership effusive praise. There is no reason why not. When have they ever given such lip service to any player, let alone one who is departing? It was genuine. They know Moss was a special player - and they also know he was beloved in the locker room. So anything less than giving Moss his due credit is a disservice to him and threatens the locker room.

But that said, Moss has just lost a step. And he isn't able to elevate and get to balls the way he used to. Add to that Brady's deep ball wasn't as accurate last year (though, it appears to be this year).

I also agree with you that BB is downplaying how little attention Moss received lately from oposing defenses.

BB says "less" and yet when you watch the Jets game you see Cromartie on him one-on-one. That's not "less," that's none.

BB is too much of a diplomat to say Moss was not dictating coverage as the thread topic says. He meant that, of course, but softened the rhetoric to sooth Moss's ego and keep the peace with Moss's friends on the team.

I think "liar" is too harsh a term to use when the goal is to be politely civil and not say negative things about a truly great WR.

Last edited:

Moss is a one trick pony. Run straight and see if the zone responsibility breaksdown. He certainly wasn't outrunning most DBs during man coverage. He can't make cuts, so his sole function was clearing out the middle of the field. They gave up sending Moss on slants because he doesn't break tackles and was more likely to fall to the ground before contact.
Yeah, i think he had become a one trick pony. Which was run as fast as he could down the sideline and sometimes slant in towards the goal line. I'm sure theres a name for that type of route but i don't know what its called.

The Moss train has pulled out ... good luck to Randy who gave us many exciting moments and a statistical season to remember ... time to move on.

There isn't anything inconsistent here.

In it's day, the P-51 Mustang was the greatest fighter and a real winner. However, I wouldn't want to arm the Air Force with it in 2010.

That also doesn't mean we can't heap praise on the P-51 as a great plane

2007 was a response to what teams did to us in 2006 and the Super Bowl years.

It was wonderful until the counter measures were found as is always the case.

In 2010, BB determined that offense had run it's course like all others do and changed course.

Randy Moss saw the reduced role and playing for another contract worked his way out of town.

Classic case of Schumpeter's creative destruction concept.

In it's day, the P-51 Mustang was
The only reason the Mustang got open was becasue the B-17s and B-24s were double and triple teamed. :bricks:

Besides, the P-38 Lightning was far superior. :D

Jaws said on TV yesterday that Moss only ran one route all season while he was breaking down tapes - the 9 route. I think this allowed teams to give him more single coverage looks to Moss with minimal help over the top (Jonathan Joseph, Vontae Davis, Antonio Cromartie all had success on him one on one).

This is something that a lot of us have seen throughout this season. Moss will even tell you that he's lost a step. I don't think that's the case. I think he's lost more than a step. Davis and Cromartie (in both Jets games) were covering him one on one without safety help much of the time and having success against him. A couple of years ago, Moss would have blown the doors off of them if given single coverage. This year, he wasn't able to do so.

Anyone who has followed BB at all will tell you he is FAR more likely to be forthcoming about Xs and Os than he is about disciplinary issues.

You are just unbelievable. This translates to, 'anytime I don't want to believe BB he is lying and if I agree then he is not lying'.

More precisely, BB is forthcoming about Xs and Os he feels opponents can get from film anyway.

And then only if he can express them in a way that doesn't insult his players.

Last edited:

He doesn't go over the middle because he has a nasty case of alligator arms. Watch any of his dropped passes over the middle this year, he hears footsteps and gives up.

I honestly believe contract + breaking Jerry Rice's records are his main priorities, and he doesn't want to risk injury over the middle because it would effect both of those.

Last edited:

:yeahthat: 10 chars..

Lets see what Tate brings to the table.....He's no Moss, but if he catches a few medium to long ones coverages just might change.

If Moss wasn't stretching the field, Pats should do just fine with Deion.

I think ... my opinion ... is that Randy wants to be on a team that has other deep threats. I think he would like to be on a team where he can work some single coverage as the #2 receiver. problem is if he wants #1 money it will be tough to pull off.

i was hoping at one time we would resign him for 3 more years and i wanted to see what he could do as the #2 or even #3 receiver. I think even Randy realizes he cannot keep being a #1 with double coverages. given single coverage with his intelligence he would be a formidable weapon for a team that likes going deep. Randy could be the #2 deep receiver or run intermediate routes.

With an offense geared around a single back like a Chuck Muncie type with 2 deep tall receivers and a strong armed QB it could work. Basically it would be Air Coryell redux. TE's or slot receivers whichever in that department. Perhaps he already has a promise along these lines by a team for 2011.

Those who follow other teams do you see a team out there who may fit this idea?

Last edited:

The only reason the Mustang got open was becasue the B-17s and B-24s were double and triple teamed. :bricks:

Besides, the P-38 Lightning was far superior. :D

Classic!!:rofl::rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back