PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Waiver Wire Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great thread!

Now if we could just list the agent's names next to the player's, we'd have an even better picture!

Don't know if these are improvements or not but here is some more fodder:
- Robert McCune (LB) was touted as a good 2 down LB prospect with ST potential.
- Scott Ware (S) , former UCLA star was susposed to be a CB/S tweener and has played some ST
- Babatunde Oshinowo (NT) potential to be a future backup, may be worth a shot of the practice squad
- Rob Petitti (OT) started for Dallas, has to be at least as good as Briit... Britt has not looked good IMO
- Michael Haynes (D line) - not sure if he a good fit in our system but he dropped his weight back down he could have OLB/DE potential
- Hanik Millgan (S) - ST player
- Willie Offord (S) - played a lot of ST for the Vikings
- Orien Harris (DE)- comes from a quality program (Miami) and has good size for a 3-4 end
- Martin Nance (WR) - good size \ speed potential for practice squad

All in all our roster is looking pretty good any improvements would be for backup or additonal depth. At first glance our roster is thin at CB, and could possibly use an additional quality backup LB. One way or another I would like to see this Branch thing resolved but we are strong enough to do well and if it takes until week 10 to see 83 then he may be enough to provide a late season punch in the arm and push over the top.

Only 8 days to opening day ! Yahoo!

Last edited:
It's almost midnight and the only team that hasn't posted their cuts is the Indy Colts. They didn't get another rule changed in their favor did they?:)

There are a number of interesting DL on the wire, trouble is, we are pretty plush at that position, if Thomas goes back to the Practice Squad we're sitting very pretty.

Michael Haynes, another 2003 draft bust. It's funny because Warren was probably the least heralded amongst that "amazing" defensive line class, and aside from all-Pro Kevin Williams, he's the best of the bunch. Kennedy, Sullivan, McDougle, Pace, Joseph, and Haynes have all done squat. Dewayne Robertson, the fastest riser of the bunch on draft day (and first selected), has been up and down. Warren, Williams, and Osi Umeniyora (56th overall) were the best of that bunch, and Warren was considered a reach at 13 and Umeniyora was a late second rounder.

primetime said:
Michael Haynes, another 2003 draft bust. It's funny because Warren was probably the least heralded amongst that "amazing" defensive line class, and aside from all-Pro Kevin Williams, he's the best of the bunch. Kennedy, Sullivan, McDougle, Pace, Joseph, and Haynes have all done squat. Dewayne Robertson, the fastest riser of the bunch on draft day (and first selected), has been up and down. Warren, Williams, and Osi Umeniyora (56th overall) were the best of that bunch, and Warren was considered a reach at 13 and Umeniyora was a late second rounder.

excellent post--thanks!

Saw two QB's that I liked coming out of college:

QB Brett Basanez, Northwestern... great arm
QB Stefan Lefors, Louisville

rookBoston said:
Saw two QB's that I liked coming out of college:

QB Brett Basanez, Northwestern... great arm
QB Stefan Lefors, Louisville
Lefors? Dougie retired, who will train him properly? Both are okay if a tad shorter than Tommy/Matt

Bostonian1962 said:
It's almost midnight and the only team that hasn't posted their cuts is the Indy Colts. They didn't get another rule changed in their favor did they?:)

I was thinking the exact same thing...God, I hate the dolts.

This is a terrific thread, perhaps Sticky material?

Not a lot of LB help so far (was Cowart released due to health?), but possibly some WR help (as per my posts in the LB and WR threads).

Keep up the great work, folks. I hope the pats FO is as diligent as you are.

I'd love to see the Patriots take a shot with Danny Clark. He's got good size 6-2 245 and has only missed 3 games in 6 years. We also have a couple of good LB numbers available-52 and 58, although Woods will probably grab one of those.

It might not be a bad idea to look at Justin Kurpeikis for ST; I remember being impressed with him when he was with us before. Although there are probably better STers out there that I'm not familiar with.

Re: Waiver Wire Players - when can players be signed?

Quick question
1) When can cuts be contacted to negotiate a contract? and are the players all free agents once they clear waivers.
2) Is there a difference between "waived" and "released"?

This is great, we can pick up 50 more players and have a whole new roster. I can't see many of these retreads worth a look.

The linebackers stink, the only wr's I would consider are Watts, Hymes and maybe Morgan. Maybe Milligan as a special teamer. We don't need anybody else.

I've said it before and say it again. Let's give Caldwell and Jackson a little time before we decide the players on the scrap heap are better.

Re: Waiver Wire Players - when can players be signed?

cstjohn17 said:
Quick question
1) When can cuts be contacted to negotiate a contract? and are the players all free agents once they clear waivers.
2) Is there a difference between "waived" and "released"?
I believe "waived" refers to players within their first four years in the NFL, the club is "waiving" their rights to the player, allowing other teams to claim them if they like. For example: Mike Hass was waived by New Orleans, Pioli can put a claim in on him, but if any of the 20 other clubs who picked before New England in the draft also claim him, the lowest ranking gets him 'if he is claimed within 24 hours of being waived.' After 24 hours he is a Free Agent and can shop himself to whomever he wants to.

"Released" refers to vested veterans, they instantly become FA and can pick and choose between clubs for their services.

That is how I understand it....waiver claims may be made anytime within the 24 hour period, Free Agents may be contacted immediately.

cstjohn17 said:
Don't know if these are improvements or not but here is some more fodder:
- Robert McCune (LB) was touted as a good 2 down LB prospect with ST potential.
- Scott Ware (S) , former UCLA star was susposed to be a CB/S tweener and has played some ST

Scott Ware is a Safety out of USC. Matt Ware is the former UCLA Star CB/S.

I think you got your WAREs mixed up.

DaBruinz said:
Scott Ware is a Safety out of USC. Matt Ware is the former UCLA Star CB/S.

I think you got your WAREs mixed up.

Ware is my brain... you are correct sir. It was Matt Ware who was cut by Philly.

Patriot Missile said:
LB Danny Clark from the Raiders. I don't see him on their roster. Did he get cut today? He was the leader of their locker room and a solid LB.

Yes - I would love to see us grab this guy....

Per Reiss "Raiders released middle linebacker Danny Clark, a two-year starter who led the team in tackles (232) both years he played in Oakland."

Last edited:
I think there are a number of players I would love to see the team try to get...frm Hass to McGarigle..to??? esp for PSqd...TimMcG might be small, but he might be an ILB type who could make it. Hass?? I would love to see Brady throw to him..was disappointed the Saunts got him but?? We shall see what happens in the next hours.

Fullback/Special Teams ace Terry Jackson from San Francisco.

cstjohn17 said:
Ware is my brain... you are correct sir. It was Matt Ware who was cut by Philly.

Actually, Scott Ware was ALSO cut by Philly after the 3rd pre-season game.

Other players who might be of interest:
Spencer Havner - ILB
Chad Lavalais - DT
Montavius Stanley - DT
Jimmy Farris - WR

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes